Skip to content

American Football Discussion Thread

SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
edited September 2017 in Off-Topic

Since the boxing thread has taken off, I figured, why not try a thread on American football?

This season figured to be one of the most unpredictable in recent memory, and barely three weeks in, it's already been just that. So far, we've seen some of the best teams of last year get routed (Patriots, Dallas, Giants) and some of the worst pull off some rather impressive wins (Rams, Jaguars). Even teams like the Browns, the Bears, and most recently the 49ers have managed to impress even in defeat.

At 9:30 AM EST US, the Ravens will play the Jags in England in what will likely be a low-scoring, but perhaps interesting and dramatic game between two teams with strong defenses but "iffy" offenses (AFAIK, it's only viewable on Yahoo.com, though).

Later in the day, I'm looking forward to seeing the Eagles' defense stomp the Giants. :D (for the record, I'm from New York, but don't particularly like the Giants).

Thoughts? Predictions?

tbone1OrlonKronsteen

Comments

• tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    I was a Colts season ticket holder for ten years before finances, time pressure, and health issues made me give them up. And now, for the first time in three seasons, the Browns are road favorites, against the Colts. Harumph, I say. I will of course stick with them, but brother, did Ryan Grigson screw up in his four years as GM here.
    OrlonKronsteenBalrog99
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    As a Vikings fan (I was born in MN, so I root for MN teams), we continue to remain cursed. Brdigewater's leg almost had to be amputated in a non-contact knee injury last year, and now, after Bradford played a brilliant game the opening week, his 2 knee surgeries may have finally caught up with him. There is no hope with Case Keenum.
    Balrog99
    tbone1 said:

I was a Colts season ticket holder for ten years before finances, time pressure, and health issues made me give them up. And now, for the first time in three seasons, the Browns are road favorites, against the Colts. Harumph, I say. I will of course stick with them, but brother, did Ryan Grigson screw up in his four years as GM here.

They get lucky and land their 2nd generational talent at QB in a row, then fail to put an offensive line around him. Brilliant.
    tbone1
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    Just woke up in time to see Blake Bortles execute a 5/5 drive and throw a touchdown pass to give the Jags a 10-0 lead. I had predicted that the Jags would surprise people this season based on their performance against the Titans toward the end of last season. So far, they've shown a very strong defense and run game. I was surprised by how badly they lost to the Titans in their 2nd game - but I think that may say more about the Titans at this point than the Jags.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

tbone1 said:

They get lucky and land their 2nd generational talent at QB in a row, then fail to put an offensive line around him. Brilliant.
    And the stunning thing is, Grigson was an offensive lineman when he played! I mean, it makes sense, if you are drafting a quarterback like Andrew Luck, you hire a former lineman as GM so he'll be sure to get guys who can protect him. Nope.
    OrlonKronsteen
    tbone1 said:

Well, if it's any consolation, the Colts are up right now against the Browns.

As a Vikings fan (I was born in MN, so I root for MN teams), we continue to remain cursed. Brdigewater's leg almost had to be amputated in a non-contact knee injury last year, and now, after Bradford played a brilliant game the opening week, his 2 knee surgeries may have finally caught up with him. There is no hope with Case Keenum.

They seem to be doing OK for now - they're crushing the Buccs so far.

• OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    I've been a Browns fan for 40 years. I hope that makes everyone else feel better about their so-called football woes. :)

P.S. Congrats to your Colts today, @tbone1
    tbone1
    And how 'bout those protests? Some teams didn't even leave their locker rooms for the anthem. I love it!

Some teams didn't even leave their locker rooms for the anthem.

Based on some of the performances today, it seems that some teams never really left the locker room at all.
    tbone1Balrog99OrlonKronsteen
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    My team is the Vikings. Born in Minnesota but lived in Michigan almost all of my life. Somehow I've never really been tempted to adopt the Lions...
    OrlonKronsteentbone1
    The Browns won a football game.

The Browns won a football game.

Did Hell freeze over, too?
    Chidojuan
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    They won with Boomer too! I didn't think he'd make it in the NFL but he might be able to figure it out.
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    Also, I'm a Broncos fan, but I love college ball more than anything. Maybe not more than my family or Baldur's Gate, but it's right up there.
    Chidojuan said:

Also, I'm a Broncos fan, but I love college ball more than anything. Maybe not more than my family or Baldur's Gate, but it's right up there.

Bet you're liking my Viking castaway QB so far then, eh? I really liked Keenum last year. I like Cousins better, but Keenum wasn't bad by any means!
    Balrog99 said:

Chidojuan said:

Bet you're liking my Viking castaway QB so far then, eh? I really liked Keenum last year. I like Cousins better, but Keenum wasn't bad by any means!
    Cousins proved last week why the Vikings went and got him. Barring a historically bad day of field goal kicking that cost the rookie his job, he easily leads and completes the comeback at Lambeau. Easily outplayed Aaron Rogers. Cousins can sling it downfield in a way the Vikings haven't had since Favre and before that Culpepper. Sure they overpaid, but the guy has thrown for about 700 yards, 6 TD and 1 INT in two games, and the interception wasn't even remotely his fault. The passes to Diggs and Thielen in the 4th quarter were basically perfect all the way around. Keenum can manage a game fine, but there is no way he pulls off what Cousins did in the last 15 minutes and overtime.
    Balrog99
    At this point, I would list my top 5 teams in the league as follows:

1.) Jaguars- Blake Bortles looked great against the Pats last week, and the defense is probably the best in the league.

2.) Rams- A great D-line that can get after any QB in the league, and a solid if not spectacular offense that works around Jared Goff's weaknesses.

3.) Vikings- The best top to bottom roster in the league, including the best receiver tandem and a top 3 defense. The offensive line could be their downfall against elite teams.

4.) Patriots- They'll be there at the end in the AFC Championship like always as long as Brady is playing.

5.) Eagles- They're the champs, and Wentz is back this weekend. However, they look far more vulnerable than last year.
    Balrog99

1.) Jaguars- Blake Bortles looked great against the Pats last week, and the defense is probably the best in the league.

2.) Rams- A great D-line that can get after any QB in the league, and a solid if not spectacular offense that works around Jared Goff's weaknesses.

3.) Vikings- The best top to bottom roster in the league, including the best receiver tandem and a top 3 defense. The offensive line could be their downfall against elite teams.

4.) Patriots- They'll be there at the end in the AFC Championship like always as long as Brady is playing.

5.) Eagles- They're the champs, and Wentz is back this weekend. However, they look far more vulnerable than last year.

I wanted to comment on the Vikings debacle yesterday but wasn't sure if I should post it in this thread, or the horror movie thread...
    Balrog99 said:

I wanted to comment on the Vikings debacle yesterday but wasn't sure if I should post it in this thread, or the horror movie thread...
    Thankfully the Packers (and the Pats) also shit the bed yesterday, but it was a pathetic effort. They bought their own hype and walked in expecting an afternoon off. And that offensive line is going to kill them. I don't know how they turn around and beat the Rams on 3 days rest Thursday night.
    Balrog99

Balrog99 said:

Thankfully the Packers (and the Pats) also shit the bed yesterday, but it was a pathetic effort. They bought their own hype and walked in expecting an afternoon off. And that offensive line is going to kill them. I don't know how they turn around and beat the Rams on 3 days rest Thursday night.
    Wow, the 'Wipings' are back. How about that #1 defense verses the pass last year? Apparently they were missing more than just a QB.
    Balrog99 said:

Balrog99 said:

Wow, the 'Wipings' are back. How about that #1 defense verses the pass last year? Apparently they were missing more than just a QB.
    They got exposed in the second half last year against New Orleans and since then it has been off to the races. Based on the last two games, they are a bottom 5 defense, certainly nowhere in the same stratosphere as elite. Cousins was great, not much he can do when your defense is giving up touchdowns within 3 minutes every time you get the game within striking distance. This is on Zimmer. He has been BADLY outcoached in 4 of the last 6 games. He's frankly overrated and if he doesn't turn this around I wouldn't keep him past this season.
    Balrog99
    He was supposed to be a defensive genius. Not seeing it...
    @jjstraka34

Time for more Vikings predictions. Any insights in your neck of the woods? They've looked ok in pre-season so far but have they improved their o-line? That was their biggest weakness last year. I'd like to think we might see them in the NFC championship game again this year...
    I know we have at least several Texans in this forum as well. Any insights on the Houston Texans or Dallas Cowboys? My Fantasy Football draft is next weekend so any skinny on NFL happenings is pure gold.
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    @jjstraka34

Time for more Vikings predictions. Any insights in your neck of the woods? They've looked ok in pre-season so far but have they improved their o-line? That was their biggest weakness last year. I'd like to think we might see them in the NFC championship game again this year...

Impossible to say. I don't ever fear that the Vikings are going to be "bad" under Zimmer and Spielman, but I also never have any faith they are going to be "good". Personally, I think Cousins is getting way too much criticism for his play last year. He is the sole reason they managed to come away with a tie in Green Bay and the only reason they were even in the game when they played the Rams. Montana or Brady couldn't have done anything with that late-season O-line. On that front, they drafted by far the best Center in the draft, who is a day-one starter who can anchor the unit for years to come. His presence alone allows for more flexibility, so it can't be worse.

Other than that, it's all about the division. Aaron Rogers seems destined to clash with his new head coach. I never buy into the Bears even when they win 11 or 12 games. The Lions are completely hopeless. In the end, the Vikings are as consistent as it gets. Every 5 years, they are going to miss the playoffs twice, and make it three times. They'll lose in the wild card or divisional round in two of them, and once every 5 years, they will break your heart in the NFC Championship. This is basically scientific fact at this point.
    Balrog99
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    @jjstraka34

Impossible to say. I don't ever fear that the Vikings are going to be "bad" under Zimmer and Spielman, but I also never have any faith they are going to be "good". Personally, I think Cousins is getting way too much criticism for his play last year. He is the sole reason they managed to come away with a tie in Green Bay and the only reason they were even in the game when they played the Rams. Montana or Brady couldn't have done anything with that late-season O-line. On that front, they drafted by far the best Center in the draft, who is a day-one starter who can anchor the unit for years to come. His presence alone allows for more flexibility, so it can't be worse.

Other than that, it's all about the division. Aaron Rogers seems destined to clash with his new head coach. I never buy into the Bears even when they win 11 or 12 games. The Lions are completely hopeless. In the end, the Vikings are as consistent as it gets. Every 5 years, they are going to miss the playoffs twice, and make it three times. They'll lose in the wild card or divisional round in two of them, and once every 5 years, they will break your heart in the NFC Championship. This is basically scientific fact at this point.

It really depends on if they can get a more consistent running game and a little more pass protection for Cousins. If their defense is even just as good as last year they should be in contention. The NFC is wide open so they have as good a chance as anybody to make it to the Superbowl. Whether they can beat a team like New England, Pittsburgh or Kansas City once they get there is anybody's guess. I'm cautiously optimistic though...
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    This thread is too lonely and chummy, so I'm just popping in to antagonize you two by mentioning that I'm a (not very engaged) Bears fan.
    Balrog99OrlonKronsteen
    edited August 2019
    Andrew Luck apparently just informed the Colts he is RETIRING at the age of 30, and I can't think a single more shocking story to come out of this league in the last two decades, and that includes some players being charged with murder. What's even MORE ridiculous is that I was informed of this news because OJ Simpson is tweeting about his fantasy football draft.
    Balrog99
    Mind-blowing announcement. He was one of my favorite QB's to watch. He looked shell-shocked at his press conference. I have a feeling there's going to be more and more this in the NFL with the young players knowing a lot more about the physical toll this game takes on them. Robert Smith did this to the Vikings years ago and that was pretty shocking after his best season ever.
    Mind-blowing announcement. He was one of my favorite QB's to watch. He looked shell-shocked at his press conference. I have a feeling there's going to be more and more this in the NFL with the young players knowing a lot more about the physical toll this game takes on them. Robert Smith did this to the Vikings years ago and that was pretty shocking after his best season ever.

The Colts fans booed him running off the field, and it was a trash move. I read a list of his injuries, and one of them was a lacerated kidney that caused him to piss blood. He has no idea what's wrong with his ankle and calf, and I wouldn't be surprised if watching Kevin Durant tear his achilles trying to come back in the NBA Finals while rushing back from a calf strain might have played into this. He's made nearly $100 million dollars, he's a Stanford graduate, he just got married and has a kid on the way. He probably just said "screw it, I don't need this in my life". Robert Smith was also a HIGHLY intelligent guy who recognized the same thing. Regardless, Andrew Luck doesn't "owe" Colts fans anything. I mean, if I was him, I probably wouldn't want to go through the car crash of getting hit by massive linebackers every week either. What's the point?? He has more money than he'll ever need. Granted, he is a #1 draft pick and a QB, so he has way more money to fall back on than most of these guys. But this is also why you are seeing running backs holding out every year now. They know they are damaged goods by the time they hit 30, and they may not even get into the league til they're 22. They are going to get one, maybe two contracts before they are playing for veteran minimums. The NFL has a problem coming within the next 10-20 years.
    joluvBalrog99