Skip to content

BG2 Party Member Character Mods - Any new party members out there?

I'm planning my party for BG2, (currently playing BG EE ) and I was wondering if there are any mods out there that add some party members that are popular.

Its been many years, but I could swear there was one or two that people really responded well to and got quite popular, but my memory could just be wrong.

Am I crazy?

Comments

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    well i currently recommend isra, sirene and xan.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    IIRC, Kelsey, Valen, and Solaufein were very popular back in the day.
  • SillyfishSillyfish Member Posts: 17
    Solaufein! I recognize that name. Oooh, googling now.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Not sure but i suspect that soulafein npc, the glorious sola mod with 3 very challenging battles, and valen are not available for EE.
    Kelsey, a sorcerer, is.
    You can also try keto, a not kitted bard with an interesting rp oriented quest, you have to help her to create a show for a bard competition in trademeet, tashia, a romanceable female sorcerer with a good sidequest.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    of the 3 only kelsey works with bg2 ee. all of my suggestions are compatible.
  • UlbUlb Member Posts: 295
    There are tons of NPC mods out there for BG2EE, with varying degrees of quality.
    Obviously, personal taste plays a big role so it's hard to make universal recommendations.

Anyway, I'll list the mods I can think of right now..
    (Disclaimer: I suffer from heavy ToB/Suldanesselar fatigue, meaning most of my playthroughs end at Sulda/early ToB, so my knowledge about the ToB parts of most NPCs is rather limited..)

Univerally recommended mods:

-Afaaq:
    I know, I've just said there are no univerally recommendable mods, but this one is an exception for a number of reasons.
    For one, Afaaq does not use a party slot but can be taken on as a 7th party member.
    His creator @Argent77 is one of the most knowledgeable and experienced modders out there and from a technical pov Afaaq's implementation is pretty much flawless.
    (If you're looking to spice your game up with some more quests/content, Argent's mods are generally a safe bet.)
    Afaaq himself is a well written NPC with an interesting back story which is revealed over the course of the game.
    However, the best thing is, even if for some reason you don't like Afaaq, you can just keep him in his lamp (spoilers; he's a Djinn) and you still have a major quest mod with two big SoA and one ToB quest at your hands..

Mods I enjoy (mostly):
    -Isra (hosted at the SHS, which is currently down):
    I would recommend her for a BG1 + BG2 playthrough, though you can of course just use her BG2 part (if I remember correctly, the mod let's you establish whether you knew her in BG1 via dialogue option). She is a very likeable character with good voice acting. Her personal quest in BG2 might feel a bit mundane/grounded if you compare it to stuff like plane hopping to a hell dimension and harvesting demon hearts.. though that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    All in all I enjoyed her more in BG1 than BG2 but she is still a very good BG2 addition.

-Amber
    I haven't played her in quite some time (I think the last time was before the EEs were a thing) but I still have very fond memories of her. Her initial quest made me genuinely giggle a bit, which is rare. She has a special feature which let's her romance Player2 in a multi player game (with a unique none Bhaalspawn centered romance, I think). I assume that feature also works if you simply create a second custom character in the EEs (it worked in a similar way on the old engine via multi/normal saved game swapping..)
    She is missing ToB content at the moment but her author(s) have recently resurfaced and are apparently working on that!

-Siren
    I only played her BG1 part since I had to abandon that installation due to technical issues (unrelated to Siren) but I plan to rectify that at some point. She is rather unique/special but well written.
    Her author @AionZ has quite a number of well liked mods out there, so it's probably worth a look. (Aurora is high on my list of NPCs I want to try, though there is no BG2 party yet..)

-Kelsey
    Another one I haven't played in a long time.
    He is generally a very likeable character and has plenty have high quality voice lines (by mod standards). His quest is very centered around him being a sorcerer (which is considered very special) so it might feel a bit odd if you have Neera (I'M A W-I-L-D-MAGE! GOSH, SO SPECIAL!!) in your party.
    His unique feature: If player1 is ineligible (must be female, not sure if there are race/stat requirements) for a romance or doesn't want to romance him he will romance Imoen.
    My personal problem: His Imoen romance creeps the heck out of me. It's creepy and cringy and generally unbearable for me to a point where I can't keep him around as soon as Imoen rejoins the party. But, that's just my personal opinion, so other people might actually enjoy it.

-Gavin
    Generally a likeable character that's more on the mundane side of things (in the sense that he's just a human priest, no special heritage, not chosen by destiny to fulfil some epic prophecy or anything like that..). Very decent voice acting if I remember correctly.
    His personal quest can make him seem a bit like a jerk (in my opinion) though that's only human, so it fits the general tone of the character.

Mods on my 'to-do' list:

(Haven't played those yet but heard good things/want to play them in the future)

-Evandra

-The Beaurin Legacy

That's all I can think of for now, maybe I'll add some more later..

• SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited August 2019
    Keto Riven is pretty good. She's a Bard, balanced pretty well, and not some hammy weirdo like I found Haer'Dalis to be.
    I played with Alassa, from Pocket Plane Group. She was a nice alternative to Yoshimo and the dual-or-multi-classed Thieves.
    There's also a mod that adds Tyris Flare, from <I>Golden Axe</I>. She's a Fighter/Mage.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Keto Riven is pretty good. She's a Bard, balanced pretty well, and not some hammy weirdo like I found Haer'Dalis to be.
    i also like her personal quest, quite unusual for the game as there are no battles involved, but good RP content.