Skip to content

Things your favorite game/game genre do that you hate

2»

Comments

• DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    It was walking around in Oblivion that raised your Athletics and increased your move speed. It made it so you never wanted athletics as a class skill, or you'd be leveling up from walking around and making everything more powerful without any real gain for yourself. Man, I hated Oblivion's leveling system that required crazy micromanagement. I had to jump off so many buildings to get my acrobatics high enough to do those moves. I know the flips and rolls were in the game without mods, it just took the effort of pushing acrobatics that high to unlock it.

The one issue with those moves is they were completely unrealistic. Rolling around in a melee makes you very vulnerable and is actually not hard to redirect your strike to where they're rolling. It was a lot of fun, though.

I'll take your word for it, us mages never need to jump around and stuff, on contrary, we sent everyone else flying around.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Everything in your first paragraph is stuff I've seen stated repeatedly about Morrowind, and stuff I always do in Morrowind. It's not an either/or where only one game can have it.

As far as realism, I'm too busy shooting fire and lightning at my enemies.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Everything in your first paragraph is stuff I've seen stated repeatedly about Morrowind, and stuff I always do in Morrowind. It's not an either/or where only one game can have it.

Not saying it's unique to Oblivion, I'm just saying I really didn't like it's wonky leveling system that required so much micromanagement of your leveling and gaining levels from walking.

Oh, I know it's weird to complain about realism in a fantasy game, I did mention it was still fun to do all those rolls and flips. The Jedi Knight games were totally guilty of roll abuse. It does stand out when a game does do something realistically that other games don't. Take Pillars of Eternity 2 and dual wielding pistols. In most games you're shooting both guns at the same time, and your eyes do not work like that. In PoE2, you actually raise one pistol, fire it, lower it and raise the other pistol and fire it.
    BelleSorciere
    edited September 2019

Not saying it's unique to Oblivion, I'm just saying I really didn't like it's wonky leveling system that required so much micromanagement of your leveling and gaining levels from walking.
    I understand not liking it, I actually do like it. I like it a lot more than bgs system where you put points into to things and you can now suddenly do this or that even if you never done it once before in your life. I liked tes system where you actually have to work to be good at something.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Well that explains it. I fast travelled EVERYWHERE.
    @ThacoBell can't fast travel to places you haven't been, plus where is your sense of ex.... Ok I can't finish that without being a hypocrite. Some of the first things I due in the TES games is look for teleportation magic mods. Why should only the psijic monks have epic outros?
    ThacoBell

Oh, I know it's weird to complain about realism in a fantasy game, I did mention it was still fun to do all those rolls and flips. The Jedi Knight games were totally guilty of roll abuse. It does stand out when a game does do something realistically that other games don't. Take Pillars of Eternity 2 and dual wielding pistols. In most games you're shooting both guns at the same time, and your eyes do not work like that. In PoE2, you actually raise one pistol, fire it, lower it and raise the other pistol and fire it.

Yeah, although the two gun thing is a genre trope, which is why Max Payne is built around that kind of thing, or The Matrix, or any of John Wu's films. As said in Hard-Boiled, "Give the guy a gun and he's Superman. Give him two and he's god." It's silly, but it is, for some, a lot of fun.

The Oblivion leveling system was so bad that there are some fairly good mods that fix the system so you don't have to micromanage your skill increases.

Balrog99
    @DragonKing Horses. You didn't get acrobatics from horseback.

Back on topic. Companion specific races/classes/kits. I'm all for giving companions unique abilities for some flavor, but if they can be a goblin or a favored of Hylea, then I want to be able to as well.
    DrHappyAngryBelleSorciereBalrog99
    ThacoBell wrote: »

Back on topic. Companion specific races/classes/kits. I'm all for giving companions unique abilities for some flavor, but if they can be a goblin or a favored of Hylea, then I want to be able to as well.

Y.e.s.
    ThacoBell
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

You mean like being an elf cleric/mage or a half-orc Blackguard? Sign me up please!
    ThacoBell
    @ThacoBell
    That's because they didn't let you stand up and do backflips off the horses or jump off one horse onto another!

Honestly all the Oblivion talk makes me wish my disc didn't break or that I had put the game onto my steam before it happened. I somewhat miss playing it despite it's flaws at least it had a *beep* ton of summons and spellcrafting.
    Balrog99 wrote: »

You mean like being an elf cleric/mage or a half-orc Blackguard? Sign me up please!

I make sure to mod out all race restricitons.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I actually have mixed feelings about the racial restrictions. It is kind of nice to be able to play anything, but at the same time, some of the uniqueness is lost. The old racial level restrictions from the 2nd Ed DM's guide were just too brutal, though. Elves could only get to level 12 as fighters and level 15 as mages. That just seemed ridiculous for a race that could live to be a milenium old.
    themazingness
    edited September 2019
    The fact that elves' starting age was higher than the vast majority of humans would ever live, but that they were at first level, just like that 18 year old human was also weird.

Not making an argument that they should start at higher level, btw. Just experiencing some dissonance.
    DrHappyAngryBalrog99ThacoBellthemazingness