Skip to content

New project: DMFI multiplayer base mod for builders; content recommendations?

Carlo_OneCarlo_One Member Posts: 77
edited February 2019 in Builders - Toolset
There's currently a lack of a multiplayer-oriented NWN:EE base / starter mod, which would be a help to those who want to create their own campaign, or just make their mod multiplayer-friendly. So by the end of this week, I plan to release a version 1.0 of a base mod package for MP builders.

What the builder package is intended to be and include:
– A way for people to get started building their own MP campaign mod, or other mod where they want multiplayer tools and resources, without having to do all their own research and installation of core systems
– Standard pre-installed DM/Player tools (DMFI 1.09 Wands and Widgets)
– Include no-hak and CEP 2.x versions of the base mod
– Multiple rulesets that are configurable (both in the toolset and in-game by a DM) - resting systems, bleeding/death/respawn systems
– Common toolset resources relevant to building for multiplayer (such as the SEI sitable placeables, Abaddon’s Descriptive Triggers, etc.)
– Full documentation that allows novice builders to use the mod
– Links to recommended additional resources, especially prefab areas that can be easily imported into the base mod, and some of the broadly useful script systems such as encounter/spawner ones.
– A light scripting and custom palette footprint. It should be easy for builders to add their preferred additional script systems and haks, rather than be forced to figure out how to rip out or sift through what they don’t want. They should be able to just ignore “extra” mod content without it causing an issue.

What it is NOT intended to be or include:
– “Complete” systems (even if excellent ones) with a heavy footprint across mod event handlers, and/or that include install requirements that give little flexibility to the builder for their own changes, especially a novice one.
– Everything on the Vault/Workshop that is cool: this is not an exercise in seeing how much awesome content can be packed into one mod.
– Systems that have their own lengthy documentation. This is somewhat subjective, but anything that takes even 5-6+ pages to understand will probably confuse the average person who just wants to get on with building areas. (However, this will be appropriate for the documentation's recommended links section)
– Tailored for advanced builders. If you fall into this category, I’m assuming that you’ve already configured your own personal base mod and tweaked everything lovingly so it works together.
– An extensive prefab “campaign kit” or “soundstage” with lots of areas for DMs to use out-of-the-box. This is an interesting concept that has come up again in recent discussions - here's one mention of the idea as a "campaign manager" mod - but it deserves its own treatment, and probably could be done better by someone else.

I’d welcome thoughtful suggestions for particular community/Vault resources to include in the package, in terms of scripting/toolset/in-game features, that people have had personal experience with using. I'm particularly interested in people's current NWN:EE experiences with NPC management systems (NESS, BESIE, Ambient City etc.), and recommendations for prefabs that are particularly well-suited for importing into new campaign mods.
Post edited by Carlo_One on
JFK

Comments

• Carlo_OneCarlo_One Member Posts: 77
    DMFI Multiplayer Starter Mod for NWN:EE has now been released:

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwnee/module/dmfi-multiplayer-starter-mod-nwnee
    JFKSylvus_Moonbow
  • GM_ODAGM_ODA Member Posts: 177
    edited May 2019
    removed by OP
    Post edited by GM_ODA on
    Thanks for the question. The golden rule for DMFI module certification is that the mod can be successfully run in a DM'd game "out of the box". This means: 1) having sufficient module documentation necessary for a new DM to run the mod, 2) DMFI tools (or the equivalent) installed for DMs and players, and 3) no game-breaking bugs encountered. More details can be found in this DMFI forum topic.

As background, the list of DMFI certified modules on the Vault can be found here: https://neverwintervault.org/article/reference/dmfi-certified-modules-dungeon-master-friendly-list-updated-march-2019

The module review process is intended to give DMs confidence that a certified mod they may want to use with their gaming group can be completed successfully. If a mod author wants to advertise that DM/player tools are available in a mod, then that can simply be stated, as the DMFI Wands and Widgets version 1.09 is freely available as a community resource.
    edited May 2019
    removed by OP
    Post edited by GM_ODA on
    I appreciate the extra info and comments. Basically, the DMFI mod certification process was never intended to apply to PW mods. It provides a reasonably objective validation of the overall DMing experience in modules that anyone can download and run as a DM. This was something that was thoughtfully considered when the DMFI was created. Among other things, it's impossible to actually DM in a "complete" way a full PW mod, and PW staffs and mods are often in a state of flux over time, so there's not really a finished product to "certify". Perhaps it could theoretically be accomplished with a small army of Review Team DMs who also played PWs consistently, but such an army doesn't currently exist.

Alternatively, what has been encouraged is for particular PWs to advertise all of the DM-friendly measures (technical and otherwise) available on their server, in order to educate players about the kind of experience they can expect from the DMs. Which is really what it's all about.
    Sylvus_Moonbow
    edited May 2019
    removed by OP
    Post edited by GM_ODA on
    For advertising PW project characteristics to the general community, in terms of DM/player tools and other features, I would recommend the Neverwinter Connections list: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/74678/descriptions-of-active-pw-projects-and-their-features-qualities-plus-events-scheduling
    Sylvus_Moonbow
    edited May 2019
    Friend Carlo_One,

I agree that is one of many places where such info _could_ be posted.

edit to add ... Note I am listed there since "Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:47 pm"

Am I reading you that you do not feel that a list of PWs that support DMFI tools for players would be useful to anyone?

I think it'd certainly be useful...hence my suggestion to put that info in the Persistent World Announcements forum on Neverwinter Connections, which is where people are most likely to look for it. I've in fact been encouraging PWs to post their information there since NWC was revived.

This has been a rather long off-topic discussion about PW certification that has nothing to do with the DMFI Multiplayer Starter Mod, so I would suggest the NWC forum (or the DMFI forum) as a more relevant place for such discussions in any case.
    Sylvus_Moonbow
    Best wishes.
  • RpMasterRpMaster Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2019
    For me ultimate base module need to have :

-Pre-scripted palceable
    -Players housing and players shop system
    -Persistant banking
    -A dungeon wizard like dungeon generator Exemple: you give the script mobs TAG Patrols,Generic,Mini boss,Boss Loot table,and the tileset to use and he generate an instanced dungeon with chests something like this.
    -A player Guild and organisations system that can adjust their alignement against other organisations.
    -Criminality system
    -A players faction system who allow PvP (Exemple for Tri-faction PvP)
    -Tons of more ideas (fishing,tavern system,bulletin board,mail system etc...)

All make players feel in a "World" and encourage Roleplaying to create strong communities.
    Prepare NWN:EE to resurect NWN he needs graphical improvements and features.
    All with Helps how to add it to a module and created with performances in mind.