Skip to content

Killing Scar

Playing an evil playthrough. Is there a point where you can kill Scar without busting quests or any progression? If you kill him at Wyrm Crossing will he come back later?
Melicamp

Comments

• HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Any takers on this one? What's a good point to kill him?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    If nobody gets around to it I'll look it up tonight (like 8 hrs or so from now).
    HaHaCharadelolien
    elminster wrote: »
    If nobody gets around to it I'll look it up tonight (like 8 hrs or so from now).

No rush, hey I appreciate it E.
    elminsterlolien
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Killing Scar does not appear to break any critical quests but you will miss out on some xp and you may not be able to access the Seven Suns building. This would be like choosing all the options telling Scar to go away or that you do not wish to work with/for him but you got the benefit of killing him.
    JuliusBorisovHaHaCharadelolien
    edited June 2019
    Scar has like 987 health, resistances to almost everything (no magic damage or magic resistance), and -20 AC. So its not much of an issue. That said Eltan should appear in the 2nd floor of the fist headquarters if Scar is dead.
    JuliusBorisovHaHaCharadelolien[Deleted User]
    I wonder - Can you do some of his quests or partial, and then axe him?
    I killed him on the bridge with skull traps and cloud kills easy enough
    edited June 2019
    Poor Scar. He had his whole life ahead of him. All what...2 chapters worth? :)
    JuliusBorisovHaHaCharadelolien
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
    So.... Can you do all his quests THEN kill him?
    Melicamp wrote: »
    So.... Can you do all his quests THEN kill him?

I killed him at the bridge, but yeah I too was wondering if it made more sense to ignore him and kill him later or even kill him at a certain point in the quest chain... Mainly I just want to have "Scar" as one of me evil dudes most powerful vanquished haha.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    edited June 2019
    Got a question: why would you kill Scar?
    Noon
    Arthas wrote: »
    Got a question: why would you kill Scar?

Uh, why wouldn't you? :*
    lolienmonico
    Is it because you are evil that you are killing him? An evil character would never kill him unless he is stupid evil.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    He might dislike authority in general. He might have a specific grudge against the Flaming Fist. He might be trying to undermine the authority of the dukes by killing their strongest supporters. Or he might just be taking all opportunities to increase his personal power at the expense of others ... ;)
    lolienmonico
    edited June 2019
    All these reasons may be the doom of a Bhaalspawn. He won't suffer any consequences in game simply because bioware wanted us to play the good two shoes, but in a real setting (and by real I mean in a D&D setting), killing Scar would send ripples all over the place and you would get hanged in the first week.

An edit:

> he is the only guy that is actually actively searching for you and meets you in a neutral road to actually ask you for help

> by asking you for help, he is the only link you got in a city you don’t know at all

> you are suggested by a Gorion’s friend that he is trustworthy

> he gives you some things to do that actually make you explore the city, giving you permission to enter in areas that would be forbidden

> he gives you quests to actually hinder your enemy and find more about him.

> he has knowledge inside the city with people that may help you in your quest.

These are 6 reasons on why an evil character would not harm him, there are at least 10+ but I’m bored to write them

Post edited by Arthas on
    ConjurerDragon
    edited September 2019
    I edited your responses below with some possible answers. Anything can be "justified" based on alignment if you give it thought. Killing Scar is like Kiling Drizzt. Not likely, difficult, but they wouldn't make him killable and drop loot if it wasn't possible. In terms of why an evil party would do it - He's a high ranking member of the Flaming Fist, alone on a Street at night, and Shar-Teel hates Flaming Fist. Good enough for me. Getting hung within a week for killing him seems quite the stretch - Sarevok has been trying to kill you for a LONG time and he's pulling he wool over the whole city of BG at this point. Besides, there are many hangable offenses in the game you've gotten away from already. I digress.

Arthas wrote: »
    All these reasons may be the doom of a Bhaalspawn. He won't suffer any consequences in game simply because bioware wanted us to play the good two shoes, but in a real setting (and by real I mean in a D&D setting), killing Scar would send ripples all over the place and you would get hanged in the first week.

An edit:

> he is the only guy that is actually actively searching for you and meets you in a neutral road to actually ask you for help

So why does an evil person care about this?

> by asking you for help, he is the only link you got in a city you don’t know at all

So keep him alive awhile

> you are suggested by a Gorion’s friend that he is trustworthy

Yeah if you're evil you are quickly over Gorion and believe in your own choices.

> he gives you some things to do that actually make you explore the city, giving you permission to enter in areas that would be forbidden

He doesn't give you access to any buildings that would be closed off to you otherwise. You lose out on some EXP/Gold quests, but if you are late enough game - those don't matter. Plus you get 5k+ gold and 9k experience for killing him anyway.

> he gives you quests to actually hinder your enemy and find more about him.

See above.

> he has knowledge inside the city with people that may help you in your quest.

You can get what you need from Duke Eltan.

Melicamp
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i think there is a "relatively" easy way to take out scar if you have the right stuff;
    cloud kill scroll(s) or have spell memorized
    wand of paralyzation
    greater malison scroll or spell memorized

so first what you need to do is hit him with a wand of paralyzation, he is only immune to one thing and i dont know what it is, but hopefully its not this

then get him all nice and hostile like and hit him with a greater malison spell to lower his saves

based on what i found, he is only level 6, which means that if he fails his save in a cloud kill he will die immediately ( but since all his saves are 1, you will need the greater malison to connect )

but since greater malison gives its target a -4 penalty to all saves, that means scar will now have a 20% chance to fail his save

i dont recall if there is enough room for scar to be taken out with this spoiler strategy ( if you wish to kill him after you finish all of his quests ) but if so, booyah, more money i suppose...?
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    i think there is a "relatively" easy way to take out scar if you have the right stuff;
    cloud kill scroll(s) or have spell memorized
    wand of paralyzation
    greater malison scroll or spell memorized

so first what you need to do is hit him with a wand of paralyzation, he is only immune to one thing and i dont know what it is, but hopefully its not this

then get him all nice and hostile like and hit him with a greater malison spell to lower his saves

based on what i found, he is only level 6, which means that if he fails his save in a cloud kill he will die immediately ( but since all his saves are 1, you will need the greater malison to connect )

but since greater malison gives its target a -4 penalty to all saves, that means scar will now have a 20% chance to fail his save

i dont recall if there is enough room for scar to be taken out with this spoiler strategy ( if you wish to kill him after you finish all of his quests ) but if so, booyah, more money i suppose...?

What I was trying to figure out is a way for Shar-Teel to kill him (since she hates flaming fist and I wanted him to be her most powerful vanquished). He has too many HP for Magic Missile wands. Even if you escape and rest and go back. Can't backstab him. Might not be possible. Cloud Kill is the super easy way to kill him. Drop one on him off screen. He will eventually die 9 out of 10 times.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Killing Scar is nothing I’ve ever considered...I thought it would break the game if I did...is it worth it in terms of xp and loot?

I’ll give it a try next time I try BG1

Can you kill Eltan too?
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    I do think it will break the game as in
    not only will he be killed by doppelgangers, but we'd need a doppelganger in the first place so this can actually happen? *sncr*
    Dharius wrote: »
    Killing Scar is nothing I’ve ever considered...I thought it would break the game if I did...is it worth it in terms of xp and loot?

Can you kill Eltan too?

He is worth 9K experience, has a little over 5K gold on him, and some basic +1 magical gear.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Dharius wrote: »

Can you kill Eltan too?

He is worth 9K experience, has a little over 5K gold on him, and some basic +1 magical gear.

and you lose REP for killing him as well i believe
  • Gatekeep3r wrote: »
    elminster wrote: »
    Scar has like 987 health, resistances to almost everything (no magic damage or magic resistance), and -20 AC. So its not much of an issue. That said Eltan should appear in the 2nd floor of the fist headquarters if Scar is dead.

And still got owned by two doppelgangers.

Unfortunately, Scar came down with a bad case of plotitis before the doppelgangers attacked him. Otherwise, he would have won no problem.
    Arthaselminster
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Evil Charname be like
    k8k7gew5l1xf.jpg
    elminstermonicoHaHaCharade