Skip to content

Neera you B----!

Wow seriously...

I really liked the adition of Neera and her character in BGee, romanced her ony my first full playthrough and was looking forward to seeing her in BG2EE since the romance was left hanging to be seemingly finished there.

Then I played SOD and while I genuinely enjoyed the expansion I was really dissapointed that Neera just sort of left us in prison to seemingly either escape by ourselfs or be hanged. At the time I kinda got why she had to leave, seeing as the red wizards were still after her and she couldnt help us. But Imoen and co. did, and like, you probably wouldnt leave the person you are supposed to love in prison, would you? I would be lying if I said I wasnt a little angry at that.

In any case, so my too good for the world character got captured and tortured by Irenicus for some time and as soon as I got out I set out to find Imoen and Neera, seeing as I was finally free. Neera is the only person I made time for while gathering the money to get Imoen back and was really excited to have her back, the loss of Imoen and the torture from the hands of this crazy maniac kinda left my char emotionaly cracked and then of course you find out that Neera basically cheated on you. Doesnt even apologize or anything just "lets you know".

So hold a fuck, she left us in prison, went off to save other wild mages, didnt ask or look for us when we were imprisoned and tortured for like a month or two, maybe more and in the meantime she not only totally forgot about us but found someone else, boinked him and left him already? Wow, talk about being a bitch, seriously.

Also, apparantely it wasnt a good time for us to get really together even tho I was the hero of BG and seemingly had enough free time, but she does find time to boink someone else while saving mages and running from Thay.

I know she is supposed to be like young wild girl and all that but she is also supposed to be a good person, what the fuck even, this totally put me off of her character, like I get others not looking for you, besides your canon team, but Neera was a romance option and this is what we get for helping her all the time?

You cant even really get angry at her, or be sad about it, and she gets pissed of if you get pissed off, what the hell, she isnt a teenager, she is half elf at least in her thirties supposedly why is she acting like a dumb girl. God damn it this really pisses me off.
JuliusBorisovAerakarPermidion_Stark

Comments

• ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Yeah, I’m not a big fan of her as a character

First time I used her she blew up Ender Sai when a surge went bad

She’s a pain in the ass on many levels
  • BertleBertle Member Posts: 49
    I've never actually done the BG1 Neera romance because despite loving the idea of her on paper (wild mage, chaotic with a good streak, kinda quirky) in practice she just comes across like an annoying teenager. I did one BG2 playthrough with her just to get the experience and haven't really gone back to her since. Seeing your description of the BG1 romance I'm glad I didn't take the time to do a full trilogy run through ;)
    Aerakar
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited September 2019
    Welcome to chaotic neutral. But is it really cheating if she left you? Especially since she left in prison with a death sentence looming?
    megamike15SkatanAyiekie
    On the plus side you can abandon her for godhood with minimal guilt
    Ardul
  • iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    The themes of love, loss, abandonment and reconciliation have been explored extensively in the movie “Casablanca”, one of the best movies ever made and still enjoyable today despite being 80 years old.
    I like to believe that the Nera/charname/random love triangle is a carefully considered retelling of this classic tale with the protagonist perspective shifted from Rick to Ilsa. The war is reinterpreted as a personal war. Nazi germany, fascist Italy and Vichy France re-imagined as bhal (threatening but abstract), irenicus (fighting another battle) and red wizards (bumbling and corrupt)
    Or it’s also possible that Beamdog are bloody terrible writers who couldn’t string together even the most basic story....
    DJKajuruAciferBlackraven
  • Paulan969Paulan969 Member Posts: 13
    Well, I always preferred Obviously-Evil-Drow-Slaver-Enternainer-Wizard Bealoth than not so obvious but still kind of evil lying Wild Mage Neera in BG1. Remember that moment when we met Meclen (? i believe he was Meclen) in Baldur's Gate, neer the Silvershields Estate? In that moment i just knew shes going to be throw away in first occasion i see another mage willing to join my party. She mag the gnome and had no regrets whatsoever, in the moment when we try to persuade her that she did bad, she try to turn it all a joke and shes going to be mad at us only bcs we dont accept her lying to ppl and US in the first place.

I mean she as the character is well written and i get it why she is like that, i kinda like her, still i like to Know that someone is truly evil and he/she act like it. In Neeras case its more complicated, she pretend sweet little girl who never hurt anyone but truth is much worse and she choose to hide things from us. Dorn Ill Khan sniffs her well also. She is just that type that cannot be trusted. And we can see it so many times in BG1...

About her being a b***ch, well idk, ppl like sex. Probably half-elves either. And maybe it doesnt have anything to do with actual feelings. She probably just f***ed some guy just bcs she could and thats end of story. Not everyone treat sex like a holy celebration, only for 1 and only after marriage and stuff. grow up boys.
    megamike15DJKajuruThacoBellAyiekie
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    you have to factor in that her bg 2 content was written before sod was even an idea. originally you did not really romance her until bg 2 it was more a kiss and flirting in bg 1. so it was not really cheating when she was with that one guy between 1 and 2 as you were not in a romance yet. that being said the whole of bg 2's romancer is she believes your not really dating until way into tob's end game. so you could just say her " romance' in sod was a fling to her.
    ThacoBell
  • mademan2mademan2 Member Posts: 54
    wow people here are generally more accepting than on reddit, good on you :D

Thanks for the answers.

Yea I get that she is chaotic and tbh its kinda my bad I didnt really know what to expect from her, dunno if its just different borders or what but I did genuinely consider the romance to be ongoing and the fact that she left us in prison in SoD hurt but I did chalk it up to it being way to just follow the canon.

Its true that she does give off hints of not being as nice as she seems in BG1 but for example with the dwarf that she stole from, I didnt know she just outright kills him if you do not pay for her, I mean jeez.

I also kinda justs judge people by their actions, especially when it comes to relationship, not really look at alingment that much. Like two different people of neutral alingment will still be different and have different values in a relationship and all that.

Truth be told, it really hurts mostly because the begining of BG2 is the emotional lowest point for the character what with everything happening and this was a real kick in the nards, I just dont take "you should have expected this from a character with this alingment" as an excuse for her actions.

While its true that she may not have taken the relationship seriously and you dont "own" her as people pointed out, she herself obviously thought to clear the air before it becomes a problem, trying to talk to you about it because she knew she did something questionable and used the separation as a means to say she doesnt know how we ended things.

I knew how we ended things and what makes it worst is that you simply cant act on it. IF you react poorly she gets upset, if you dont care she scoffs and is upset, you cant express yourself in any way.

All this neede to not absolutely desotry the romance from BG1 and make it utterly pointless, was another conversation in which she would simply explain herself, say that she wanted to go look for us, thought about us but just didnt have the option to or resources without putting herself and others in danger, she felt lonely and just found someone else but it didnt feel right.
    And bam, problem mostly solved, its true that we have been apart and with odd circumstances, but the fact that its treated as nothing just makes her seem like she doesnt care.

And if one life changing adventure to stop offspring of god of murder where you traveled up and down sword coast together for who knows how long didnt bring you close enough so that she wouldnt almost immidiately find someone else, why would you assume that anything would change now. It devalues the romance of bg 1 and totally ruins her as a romance option, why would you even try again if you know the outcome.

I just dont think you require a specific alingment to want to explain yourself to a person you hurt, even if you dont feel particularly guilty. She simply feels a lot more careless and a lot more cruel in BG2, or maybe I just didnt realise how self centric she actually was in BG1.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Welcome to chaotic neutral. But is it really cheating if she left you? Especially since she left in prison with a death sentence looming?

They were never really together in the first place. The BG1 romance is largely a precursor to the BG2 romance. You have some initial flirtation but you're a long way away from the sort of proclamations of lifelong monogamy @mademan2 seems to have imagined.

ThacoBellArtona
  • mademan2mademan2 Member Posts: 54
    Chronicler wrote: »
    ThacoBell wrote: »

They were never really together in the first place. The BG1 romance is largely a precursor to the BG2 romance. You have some initial flirtation but you're a long way away from the sort of proclamations of lifelong monogamy @mademan2 seems to have imagined.

I think this is clear difference between what one considers a relationship, if I kissed a girl, we exchanged our feelings and traveled together, I would absolutely consider it a relationship. Even discoungint SoD, I dont feel there is need to sleep with the person or have proclamations of lifelong monogamy to consider myself in a relationship with someone.

But even if the other person doesnt, its not been such a long time, to my knowledge we werent captured for more than few weeks, it doesnt bother you to realise that you were so easily and soon replaced? I know she is chaotic alingment but thats not really an excuse, if an explanation.
    "So Soon"?

Do you spend a year grieving every time you go on one or two dates with somebody before going your separate ways?
    Like seriously, this is maybe a couple notches above getting possessive because the waitress smiled at you.

You're at like Stage 1 in your romance, and you've imagined yourself to be way the heck over in the endgame where you're gonna die and she's gonna question if she can ever love another man.
    Artona
    edited September 2019
    I find the Aerie romance to be too much the opposite of Neera (though I feel her’s is the worst romance by some margin). And Glint’s too.

Basically by being polite and helpful you inevitably end in romance. I recall you have to be horrible for Aerie to give up, to the point where I tend to avoid travelling with her.

“Don’t worry, you can manage without your wings” ... “whoa, where did that kid come from?!”

With Glint, I felt I had firmly put him in the friend zone and then a couple of minutes later Corwin is telling me she is concerned about the electric tension between me and G bro and forcing me to choose, when it was obvious all game I wanted to date her
    Chronicler
    edited September 2019
    ilduderino wrote: »
    I find the Aerie romance to be too much the opposite of Neera (though I feel her’s is the worst romance by some margin). And Glint’s too.

Basically by being polite and helpful you inevitably end in romance. I recall you have to be horrible for Aerie to give up, to the point where I tend to avoid travelling with her.

“Don’t worry, you can manage without your wings” ... “whoa, where did that kid come from?!”

With Glint, I felt I had firmly put him in the friend zone and then a couple of minutes later Corwin is telling me she is concerned about the electric tension between me and G bro and forcing me to choose, when it was obvious all game I wanted to date her

I usually play a woman because I have the same problem with Jaheira. She's your godmother in BG1, but then in BG2 not only is she romanceable, but she'll interpret the slightest expression of sympathy over her dead husband as a romantic gesture. Can't so much as say "Sorry for your loss" without her trying to jump your bones, which really recontextualizes the relationship really fast.
    ilduderino
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    megamike15 wrote: »
    you have to factor in that her bg 2 content was written before sod was even an idea. originally you did not really romance her until...
    is up to the developer, when he introduces new content, or even a whole new game, to do it in a form that has consintency.
    i don't own SoD, so i can not talk about it and i don't like to be spoiled about it in this section, that is devoted to bg2, so i can not judge on the particular issue. and i also never romanced her in bg, that i own, only in bg2.

but for me, if there is some inconsistency it is developer's fault, further more as she is a EE only npc, so beamdog is not inheriting npcs with the agreement that they can not change plot or anything RP related from how the original games was.

ilduderino wrote: »

Basically by being polite and helpful you inevitably end in romance. I recall you have to be horrible for Aerie to give up
    this and the fact that a powerful CM, in a world where such multi can heal and even bring back to life a dead companion is not able to avoid a pregnancy in a situation when both of you risk the life every day and your future is utterly uncertain and you can choose to leave and accept your divine heritage even if you survive.

i like the RP choice of having an in game son, but it is not a choice, it is almost forced to you as the whole romance unless you are extremely rude. and this is a fault of the original developers, beamdog has no part in it.

ilduderinoBertle
    I've never done Aerie's romance but I assumed she wanted the baby.

You don't even need magic to avoid pregnancy. Pretty much every culture at every point in history has had some form of birth control, even if at certain points they were talked about much less openly than in modern day America.
    ThacoBellgorgonzolaAyiekie
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    this and the fact that a powerful CM, in a world where such multi can heal and even bring back to life a dead companion is not able to avoid a pregnancy in a situation when both of you risk the life every day and your future is utterly uncertain and you can choose to leave and accept your divine heritage even if you survive.

i like the RP choice of having an in game son, but it is not a choice, it is almost forced to you as the whole romance unless you are extremely rude. and this is a fault of the original developers, beamdog has no part in it.

Oh the baby. I have so much to say about the baby.

Not to mention the pregnancy ("Oh I'll just wear baggy robes and no one will notice!" Seriously have the game devs SEEN a pregnant woman? You're huge and you definitely cannot fight freaking bhaalspawn) and the labor ("pant, pant, pant, oh the baby is here! Now lets's name him Quayle and go fight the big bad!" Girl you just delivered a baby in the middle of the wilderness there's no way you're hopping up to fight an almost-God).

Also (it's been a while since I've done the Aerie romance - see above reasons) but where the heck do they stash the baby for the final fight? Is Aerie holding him? Is he in your inventory? Do they hire Saemon to babysit?
    Balrog99gorgonzola
    I mean, it's not like nobody's ever worked while pregnant. As a cleric/mage her work wouldn't even be that physical. She's just waving her arms around and chanting. And if she has to do anything physical she can boost her Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution to literally superhuman levels. Like with the strength of a storm giant I think you can handle the extra baby weight.

Don't get me wrong, a nobody should ever be asked to work while pregnant, but I don't think it stretches the imagination for an epic level adventurer with a head full of unfathomable arcane secrets and divine power flowing through her veins to pull it off.
    ThacoBellgorgonzolaiosfrustrationSkatan
    As a cleric/mage her work wouldn't even be that physical. She's just waving her arms around and chanting.

I don't know man, I used to work in the high risk obstetrics ward and you should've seen the dirty looks when someone made them get up from bedrest. Admittedly they didn't have potions of storm giant strength on them so we can't compare them perfectly, but I think if you suggested they go wave their hands at dragons and then run away VERY fast you would end up murdered ;)
    ChroniclerBalrog99
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited September 2019
    Bertle wrote: »
    gorgonzola wrote: »

Oh the baby. I have so much to say about the baby.

Not to mention the pregnancy ("Oh I'll just wear baggy robes and no one will notice!" Seriously have the game devs SEEN a pregnant woman? You're huge and you definitely cannot fight freaking bhaalspawn) and the labor ("pant, pant, pant, oh the baby is here! Now lets's name him Quayle and go fight the big bad!" Girl you just delivered a baby in the middle of the wilderness there's no way you're hopping up to fight an almost-God).

Also (it's been a while since I've done the Aerie romance - see above reasons) but where the heck do they stash the baby for the final fight? Is Aerie holding him? Is he in your inventory? Do they hire Saemon to babysit?

Oh the other party members are aware. There's a talk with at least Jaheira and one other where they confide to you taht they know, but don't want to put extra stress on Aerie. And the baby is literally in Aerie's backpack.
    BertleChronicler
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    You just have the baby if you spend a lot of idle time in ToB , it doesn't happen so easily.
    Chronicler
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    the problem is alot of aerie's romance got cut. from what i have heard there is an entire middle section that had to be removed for time.
    gorgonzola
  • iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    I don't think it stretches the imagination for an epic level adventurer with a head full of unfathomable arcane secrets and divine power flowing through her veins to pull it off.

This! So much this. Aerie is an immortal, unstoppable killing machine. By far the best tank in the game, nearly the best DPS in the game, amazing summons, all the best gear...

Her absurd mage/cleric multi class combined with those crazy divine/arcane spell synergies, bonkers sequencers, HLAs and stupid overpowered gear, and the huge exp cap in TOB makes Aerie the powerhouse of the game.

One arm holding the baby, the other holding the black blade of disaster. Immune to everything, a Deva doing the dirty work, a Planetar doing the heavy lifting, PI and IA spamming absurd damage.

“I’ll just wear these loose robes... OF VECNA!!!”

I’ve always wondered about her dialogue in SOA. By about chapter three most of her interactions with the lesser mortals in the party should be either amused indifference or outright contempt.

gorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    i agree about her power, as the player learn how to use her limit is only the sky and she can win every battle alone casting or using weapons depending only on her feelings of the moment.
    but this is the reason why i don't like how she forces you to be father, even if it is only a RP concern as she remain as effective as before and the baby, if you ever see him as a very long time is needed and most of the players reach the end before is born, is only a backpck slot wasted.

such powerful archmage and cleric should better then any other romance choice be able to avoid pregnancy at will, maybe with jaheira as druids have their own ways, but actually is the only one that does not.
    i feel that the whiny one is at the end more bossy then jaheira and not so wise as from a RP perspective both to face really powerful enemies like the tob bosses and having the perspective of having the father of her son ascending to deity leaving her alone among the mortals are not the wisest choices.

but after all we have to take her how she is, love her, and enjoy to have her power at your side, or leave her.
    Do you think elf pregnancies are easier or worse than human pregnancies?

They got those lean bodies, and the human body is already dangerously lean for childbirth. It's why our babies are born so underdeveloped in comparison to other animals.

But I guess maybe the babies are also proportionately lean? In which case it would all even out until you start bringing half elves and such into the equation.
    Bertleilduderinogorgonzola
    What about half elf half gnomes?
    Chronicler
    Can elves and gnomes procreate? Elves and Orcs can procreate with humans, and presumably eachother, but you don't see much talk of half gnomes.