Skip to content

[mod] Athkatlan Grounds: Southern Edge

Comments

• MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    edited April 2019
    Ok, I have everything up and running. Just one quick question - could you give me a hint as to who might upgrade the toy? I have tried everyone in the district twice, and even started looking at merchants outside, but I haven't found anyone who even acknowledges it. Thanks!

Nevermind - I figured it out. Nice decoy!
    Post edited by Maurvir on
    edited April 2019
    I think I found a bug. Dreppin seems to be misgendering my PC, who is female, at the end of his subquest. Also, the party leader is female (and the one who initiated the final conversation). Pretty sure Jaheira wouldn't take kindly to be referred to as "he" ;)

As an aside, I think I finished the quests in Southern Edge. This was really nicely done, and it did feel like an integral part of the game. I loved it, and it will definitely remain in the mod list. I haven't gotten to Innershade or Oozes lounge yet, but based on my experience in SE, I am definitely looking forward to them!
    Post edited by Maurvir on
  • crymoricuscrymoricus Member Posts: 8
    I enjoy many content mods, and I think Southern Edge is one of the very best by simple virtue of the fact that it "fits" so well into the rest of the game, in tone, character... pretty much everything about it. It's like a mini-quest zone 100% Baldur's Gate style. If it has one (pretty insignificant) flaw, it would be the voice work on Mairo Mudclapper. In fact, I'd say it's biggest flaw in all of your mods, using your own voice and mic. This is especially glaring in your Foundling mod for obvious reasons (you voiced him). For Mairo, you literally could have had a voice actor on Fiverr do that for five U.S. dollars. With Foundling it might be a bit more because of word count, but I wouldn't think it would be more than twenty dollars.

Actually, I have a very good mic and soundproofing (and acting experience), and if you want to give me a shot on that for any future mod for free, let me know.

Also, I have to tell you that as well as you speak English, there are some issues with your dialogue. I find it particularly distracting with Yvette, frankly. In that case, I do like the actress' voice for the most part, and it does blend in better than your work with Foundling, but there are some other issues having to do with some awkward violations of societal convention and such. If you'd like to give me a shot on that as well, I'd be happy to lightly revise your writing for free. I have a master's degree in literary criticism and theory, and a great deal of writing experience. Here's are two of my pieces of fiction from Medium, quite different from each other in tone and style (for reference):

https://medium.com/@danwilliams_66040/joy-fleeting-c6d2f1f051a4
    https://medium.com/@danwilliams_66040/a-surefire-cure-for-writers-block-d2348ffd5909
    IseweinArthasAerakar
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
    The mod is now available in French - all thanks to @deratiseur
    As SHS is down, use my alternative download to enjoy my mods.
    AerakarAedantbone1Sanctifer
  • _Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 169
    edited September 2019
    Is it possible to add an option to replace
    Dreppin
    with someone else or even remove him? I just can't see him travelling so far with a cow.
    Post edited by _Connacht_ on
    edited September 2019
    Sorry, but no. That's the whole point about that surprise. Also it would be great if you could use spoiler tag as there is a reason why I do not mention him in the readme or mod description.
    @lolien - do you have such power to use spoiler tag with the name of mentioned character, please?
    Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
    Sorry, I didn't use the tag because I saw that name already posted freely in the last two pages.

Anyway
    if I remember correctly, one doppelganger mimics Dreppin in the catacombs of Candlekeep and it already has his memories since it mentions poisoned cows, thus although not certain it's very likely that poor Dreppin was killed, as doppleganger usually dispose of the victims they want to replace after taking their memory to steal their identity (and there are a lot of corpses in the catacombs). This part buzzes me a bit, but maybe I'm confusing.
    edited September 2019
    There were also other characters doppelgangers used and that are not dead so there is no reason to assume that this one is. Keep in mind that they are playing with PC, some of them do not even try to lure main character into any trap and show their true self almost right away. Plus, I hardly doubt they killed Elminster that is also there.

Also I kinda believe communicate "I don't like that part, it should be removed" is kinda inappropriate. There are a bunch of people who enjoyed it, translated the mod into 4 more languages. I understand you may not like him being there, but I disagree with your doubts + there is a group of people who helped to shape that mod, including this quest, so nope, I am not changing it now.

I guess if I were to delete everything someone disliked in my mods, I would be left with nothing to work on or I would need to make every single element optional.
    Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
    Aerakarcaptainkatsuraevildevil97
    edited September 2019
    I never said "I don't like that part so it should be removed", I simply asked if there was the possibility of an option (like many mods do in their setups) and never claimed that something *has to be removed*, so please don't toss a strawman. It makes me look like a jerk who goes around imposing on people what they should or shouldn't enjoy, despite that is by no means my will. :)

OT as for the
    doppelgangers, the chance exists: they are encountered in the catacombs waiting in those rooms among various displaced corpses, so after the player met the originals. It is possible that they were still waiting to enter in action and replace those dwellers, but it's also possible that they already replaced them and took their memories while Charname was temporarily imprisoned (obviously not Elminster). We can't ultimately know for certain since we don't get back to Candlekeep* (and I wouldn't be surprised if the developers actually wanted to build up doubt in the players without giving answers). However, supposing that Phlydia, Dreppin, Jondalar and others are dead, or at least some of them, is in the realm of possibility and not far fetched.

*: we could teleport inside using cheats and find them, but this is an oversight since we aren't expected to go there again anyway.
    Post edited by _Connacht_ on
    StummvonBordwehr
    I also said "I would need to make every single element optional". This mod is a complete product - no content changes will be applied. Only fixes and translations. It's exactly how I want it to look.
    Gwendolyne
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    I hope good came out of Crymoricus reply
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    @LavaDelVortel
    Game crashes every time I talk to priest of Oghma, during depressed collector quest - whenever monk says his piece about chanting. Is there a way to bypass that step of a quest via console? Spawn some item maybe?
    Other than that - I find this mod quite delightful. It's cute, and fun in subtle ways, and brings back memories. Your content simply makes BG2 better, great work. :)
    Thrasymachus
    Thank you! I will look into the problem when I have a moment. Until then use this console command:
    C:SetGlobal("L#CharlestonGive","GLOBAL",4)

It sets the global so the game will behave as if you completed the talk with the priest.
    Artona
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    It worked. Thank you very much! :)
    Sure! :) Enjoy!
    Artona
    Was this released for Bg classic?
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Arthas wrote: »
    Was this released for Bg classic?

It works for BG2:EE, BG2 and EET according to the first post.
    Arthas
    Ah thanks. Didn't see it, because I saw the post in the middle of the topic where Lava tells he doesn't own anymore BG classic version
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    I thought that I would mention that I had the same problem as Artona in my current game. (I don't recall having this problem a year ago, but I may have been using an earlier version of the mod.)

Otherwise: great stuff!
    Not sure if this is a mod interaction or not, but I just had something odd happen. The party was in the "Inside the Wall" tavern in Southern Edge and it was time for one of the Mr. I dreams. However, before that could start, they were jerked across the lot to talk to Mairo - whom they had not yet seen! The party started the parasite quest, then went to sleep where the dream continued normally.
    To make it more natural, Mairo does not stand in one place, but should walk to you. I would say it was just a super unfortunate that you managed to rush right into "Inside the Wall" AND that was the dream time. It usually takes Mairo like... 15-20 seconds to get to the party.
    That would be a relief. The party was pretty banged up from a fight, so they were aiming to get to a tavern quickly. Nothing really bad happened as a result, it was just "odd".

I do have one question, though. I have found three of the four pieces, but I can't find the fourth. I have talked to every named NPC in Southern Edge, but Lydia doesn't really respond - just says she is waiting on someone. I've tried talking to her in both daytime and nighttime.
    4 places / copies are:
    - bard on the 2nd level of the Inside the Wall
    - chest in the robbed man's house (you need to pick up the lock)
    - Book girl from one of the tents read
    - Mr Cat that's not far from Mairo's little tent
    edited December 2019
    Argh! Thanks. I guess Imoen is getting a bit over-cautious! (I've RP'ed her a lot differently since aiming for a minimal reload game)

As an aside, I was startled to see Charleston Nib, as he, ah, had an accident at that archeological dig. (I actually wrote about it here - Tenya accidentally vaporized him with one of her water spells...) I guess he must have been important enough for someone to raise him! ;) Best part is, he totally forgot it was my party that killed him...
    Isewein
    As an aside, if you are updating your mods, could you look into the Dreppin issue? He still seems a bit confused about whether my PC is a girl or a boy.
    I saw no more bugs here so this one may need to wait a moment :)
    edited December 2019
    Ok, the Mairo Mudclapper thing wasn't a fluke. It happened again on the current run. This time, the party arrived in the inn pretty banged up and slept immediately, but there was no dream - just the usual sleep animation. Since Imoen had a pile of things she needed to identify, she spent all of her first level identification spells working on them. When she was done, the party decided she should re-up her offensive spells. so she rememorized everything and the party slept again without having left.

The SECOND night (with Mairo not in the inn, nor the party having met him yet) the dream sequence occurred and they were jerked out of the inn to talk with Mairo before it could start. It seems that there is something about the dream sequence starting in that inn that triggers Mairo's quest dialog. As near as I can tell, he was still standing by his little fire pit in the corner of the map - though the map was obscured by fog of war.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I would say there are like the rest of the game so somewhere between neutral and good. Depends how you see doing something for money. I would say helping someone because that someone pays me to do so isn't exactly good, but maybe that's just me, heh.
    [Deleted User]