Skip to content

Does Single Weapon Style and Sword and Shield Style Stack?

I am wondering if you benefit from having the single weapon style if you have a shield equipped, it would be nice to gain the benefits of both fighting styles at once. But I'm assuming they don't but I thought I might as well ask.

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    No, they don't stack. Single-weapon style applies if and only if you have exactly a one-handed melee weapon in the main hand and nothing in the off hand.

Single-weapon style is weak for most builds, but can be useful for thieves. If you can't equip a good shield, the AC and extra critical hits start looking good.
    gorgonzolaThacoBellJuliusBorisov
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Nope. Single Weapon only works with a 1 handed melee weapon in your main hand and nothing in your off hand.

No shields. No Two Handers. No Slings, darts, throwing weapons.
    2088432ThacoBellJuliusBorisov
  • 20884322088432 Member Posts: 229
    Chronicler wrote: »
    Nope. Single Weapon only works with a 1 handed melee weapon in your main hand and nothing in your off hand.

No shields. No Two Handers. No Slings, darts, throwing weapons.

Alright... Thanks bro.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    What imho is almost completely a waste is sword and shield, at least in bg2, bg is different.
    It gives some more AC, but only against ranged attacks.
    In a game where ranged attacks are not the main concern, but in very few battles
    like against tarnor in the temple sewers
    and you can get early a shield that has a bonus against ranged and a cheaper one that reflects back the ranged attacks, making you immune and damaging the enemy
    ribald sells both
    I see it as a completely wasted pip.
    DaevelonStummvonBordwehrilduderinoSkatan
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    What imho is almost completely a waste is sword and shield, at least in bg2, bg is different.
    It gives some more AC, but only against ranged attacks.
    In a game where ranged attacks are not the main concern, but in very few battles
    like against tarnor in the temple sewers
    and you can get early a shield that has a bonus against ranged and a cheaper one that reflects back the ranged attacks, making you immune and damaging the enemy
    ribald sells both
    I see it as a completely wasted pip.
    It's the worst of the weapon styles for sure, though in bg1 i usually give it to one or more npcs due to the fact that anyway they will not keep it in bg2 (and in bg1 is very useful)
    gorgonzolailduderino
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    I agree in BG where missile attacks are more dangerous S&S style can be beneficial, for instance Yeslick is never likely to dual wield and he already has nice weapon picks when you get him so a point in S&S with your final point can make sense. Otherwise a waste
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Hehe, reminds me of an old thread where I said the same as what @gorgonzola said above and got plenty of people disagreeing with stating how good it was :)
    gorgonzolaStummvonBordwehr
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    hehe, @Skatan let them disagree, waste their precious pips in sub optimal choices, then sit on the bank of the river and wait for their corpses, with the shiny sword and shield, pass by on the water :D

(give them enough time and they will learn by themselves)
    SkatanStummvonBordwehr