Skip to content

Are there any mods that changes the Ring of Gaxx into something less evil? If not what then?

StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,350
edited September 2019 in BGII:EE Mods
The ring of Gaxx radiates evil (according to the in game description), and some players find it too evil to wear.

So are there any mods that changes the ring of Gaxx into something less evil - perhaps even changing the resistances and the bam itself? I would reckon that a ring that radiated less evil would change the usability from a RP perspective.

I have often contemplated that the temple of Lathander could do something about it - or in the temple of the forgotten god in the sewers. Perhaps the ring could get a blue bam, and have luck +2 instead of ac and saves. The disease and poison resistance changes into fear immunity. But that’s just me.
Post edited by StummvonBordwehr on

Comments

• StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,350
    So there are no mods that changes the ring? That’s ok, but I still feel that the ring could use a revamp for the good aligned.

I would turn the bam blue, and give the ring the following features:

Equipped abilities
    Luck +2
    Con +2
    Protection from evil and fear

Special use
    Detect illusion x 3 a day
    Chaotic commands x 1 a day
    (lasts ten seconds)

The background story should state that the rings evil nature has been curbed towards the good.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    Item Revisions changes it... but it's still evil.

Ring of Gaxx
    Special Abilities:
    Finger of Death (once per day)
    Vampiric Touch (three times per day)
    Equipped Abilities:
    Armor Class: +2 bonus
    Saving Throws: +2 bonus
    Regeneration: 1hp every 6 seconds
    Immunity to disease & poison effects.

Luck +2 would be too powerful for me, and I'd switch Con +2 to a flat +5 or +10 bonus so it's of utility for casters. To be honest I'm perfectly happy if it's evil though, it's been on Kangaxx's finger for a long time... Any quest to make it into a good item should involve the sacrifice of other resources. A paladin handing it over to their church might be rewarded with something nice though- e.g. some illithium to upgrade that mace ;), or some other nice artifact of your design to signal their status as a champion of the church.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    The Hand of Vecna could also use a good version - say, the Hand of Tyr (Tyr also lost one of his hands).
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,350
    I have seen the changes item revisions made, and think they make sense. But as stated it doesn’t change the nature of the ring - just making the spells fit the feel of the ring better.

The changing of the ring should be quest related. Illithium could be a great reagent and perhaps a control circlet to harness the evil.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    evil and power go in tandem, and vice versa good and sacrifice/perseverance go in tandem, so making good/evil versions of everything dillutes the thematic core of the game's setting