Skip to content

Most Fun class to try the Item Randomizer with?

Trying out the Item Randomizer. Not sure which class will allow me to have the most fun dealing with the new item situation.

For what it's worth I've randomized the scrolls too.

Comments

• ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Cool question: I guess any fighter planning to rush mastery in a certain weapon could come unstuck. E.g. Greywolf’s lovely long sword can be reliably picked up early but maybe not this time.

The impact on companion picks would also be fun. Getting a strength item early would make Khalid more awesome. Others will be more painful (e.g. Ajantis and Kagain) without getting the dexterity gauntlets nice and early.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    One thing I've considered is that if I understand things, loot won't be tied to specific story decisions anymore.

So for example, a bard or a mage/thief usually has to group with Dorn if they want the Elven Chain, but now who knows where that Elven Chain is? It could be anywhere.

As far as a group I'll have Imoen, Jaheira, and Khalid at a minimum. I pretty much always bring them, and then mix up the last two slots.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    Probably best to try with a class which you always find yourself using the same gear with. That way you'll have an interesting new challenge.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Mantis37 wrote: »
    Probably best to try with a class which you always find yourself using the same gear with. That way you'll have an interesting new challenge.

That actually really cuts to the core of the matter. Thank you very much. That clears some stuff up for me.

Bard used to be my favorite class, and Jester my favorite kit, but I'd played so many it grew stale. Think I'm gonna do that.
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited September 2019
    I can’t think of many classes where I would default to the same gear every time in BG, I think this would have much more impact in BG2.

Off the top of my head the robe of the good arch magi / bracers of ac 6 are standard for my mages, bassilus’s hammer for clerics and the shadow armour for thieves are standard for those classes. The +3 staff is also nice for anyone. A number of these are in shops, I’m not sure if the mod affects those?

Thinking about it, I can’t bear Dorn and taking Rasaad temporarily every time is annoying so randomising the elven chain and big fisted belt would be nice.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    Druids and monks are very good without best items, at least the begining, so not that dependant. Sorcerer is even more item free.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Monks good without the best items early on? Hah. Monks are weak throughout BG1, even with the very best items you can give them. They're warriors that can't wear armor or helmets, don't get the full warrior HP, don't get exceptional strength, don't get bonus attacks until level 3, don't get specialization/mastery bonuses, never get more than one attack per round with a magic weapon...
    Fighters are just plain better than monks, until the monk abilities really kick in later in BG2

Well, OK, there's one monk "weapon" that strikes multiple times per round as magic - Relair's Mistake. Now you're looking for one particular item to give your monk decent offense, and it just got randomized so you don't know where you'll find it.

Druids? Have you seen the low-level druid spell list? They're great healers in BG1, but they struggle to do anything else worthwhile until level 7 and fourth-level spells. On top of that, you can't wear all armor like a cleric, so you can't keep up in melee until you find/commission a set of ankheg plate.
    Druid kits do change this. Summons if you're totemic, going werewolf if you're a shapeshifter, added spells if you're an avenger - they're all good low-level options.

... pay no attention to that werewolf party I'm running, which is all about druid and monk power during BG1, and doesn't need weapons or body armor for the main melee combatants...
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Ehh, Druids ramp up a bit sooner at level 5 with Call Lightning, which turns 90% of outdoor encounters into electricity fodder. Monks are one of the classes hurt least by IR, which would be good if Monks in BG1 weren't terribly weak to begin with.

I like Rangers, Paladins and Blades or any Fighter multiclass with IR, since it's easier to swap up proficiencies to match whatever random weapons you get. Fighters can do the same, but I never feel great giving up Mastery to swap weapons. Oh, and for another gear-independent class, Shaman should be pretty good as well.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Going mastery with a fighter class and potentially be stuck with a mundane weapon for a long time could be a great challenge. But other than that I would also say bard, which you already seem to have decided on. A blade with 2 pips in dual weild still have 2 pips to spare on other profiences or going for a pip each in bows and xbows because even without knowing you'll get the +2 bow and/or the xbow of speed, I guess you can still buy the enchanted ammo to even mundane versions of them which could make it a bit easier. But I have never tried the mod, so not sure the enchanted ammo is still available in it's normal place (like Thalantyr).