Skip to content

Solasta: Crown of the Magister (D&D 5e OGL cRPG)

Comments

• PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited September 2019
    Should the game use the Unity engine, I'm guessing we could expect unofficial mod support via Unity Mod Manager. Just like in Pathfinder Kingmaker's case. No such luck if the devs are using Unreal tho.

Unity ;)

https://www.solasta-game.com/news/11-directors-log-2-adapting-the-ruleset

Now the bets: What is going to be the first mod of the game?

Add bard/warlock/druid/monk class?
    Party of 6?
    Cheating menu?
    More revealing outfits? (Dunno why this is always in all RPG games, like the mandatory brothel, even in Dos)
    Grammarsalad
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited September 2019
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    Should the game use the Unity engine, I'm guessing we could expect unofficial mod support via Unity Mod Manager. Just like in Pathfinder Kingmaker's case. No such luck if the devs are using Unreal tho.

Unity ;)

Party of 6?
    Cheating menu?
    More revealing outfits? (Dunno why this is always in all RPG games, like the mandatory brothel, even in Dos)

Probably cheating menu
    Raising lv cap

This can be made by "changing numbers", party of 6 would require an re write in all cutscenes. I don't expect to see bigger parties... Revealing outfits require some texture work. Warlock/Bards/etc will not be easy to be implemented. I mean, just rename the wizard into warlock, the hit dice make it cha based and allow light armor is one thing. Implement most invokations like Repealing blast will be very hard, not mentioning pact of the blade, pact of the chain and other WLK stuff. Mainly because other classes in the game doesn't have spell like abilities, in other hands will require a lot of work. Just like the mod who adds the Witch class on Pathfinder. Adds a lot of interesting stuff, but not unique "familiar" mechanics and most Hexes aren't in the mod...

Druids IMO will be easily implemented without considering the shapeshift(that is the coolest aspect of Druids IMO) and Barb i have no clue since i never read much about it on 5e.

edit : HEre is i trying to convince then to bring WLK https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/d9jdj1/ama_we_are_tactical_adventures_developers_of/f1ihnai/?context=3
    Post edited by SorcererV1ct0r on
    edited September 2019

Unity ;)

Party of 6?
    Cheating menu?

Probably cheating menu
    Raising lv cap

This can be made by "changing numbers", party of 6 would require an re write in all cutscenes. I don't expect to see bigger parties... Revealing outfits require some texture work. Warlock/Bards/etc will not be easy to be implemented. I mean, just rename the wizard into warlock, the hit dice make it cha based and allow light armor is one thing. Implement most invokations like Repealing blast will be very hard, not mentioning pact of the blade, pact of the chain and other WLK stuff. Mainly because other classes in the game doesn't have spell like abilities, in other hands will require a lot of work. Just like the mod who adds the Witch class on Pathfinder. Adds a lot of interesting stuff, but not unique "familiar" mechanics and most Hexes aren't in the mod...

Druids IMO will be easily implemented without considering the shapeshift(that is the coolest aspect of Druids IMO) and Barb I have no clue since I never read much about it on 5e.

Barbs? they went bananas with the barbarians in 5e. I did not play it but one of my party uses one.
    Now they have unarmored bonuses like the monks, but with constitution instead of wisdom (So you can finally be the shirtless warrior of all the covers of D&D if you are inclined to ¿?)

And there is an archetype of mystic totem barbarian that can cast some spells and perform ritual spells like the druids, using the constitution as your spellcasting stat.
    They have some strange wild magic surge mechanic, similar to the wild mages of old; also some abilities that allow a friendly caster to recover spells, a skill that damages the enemies that cast a spell against them while raging, etc...
    It could be difficult to create the barbarian class too.
    SorcererV1ct0r
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582

Unity ;)

Party of 6?
    Cheating menu?

Oh...it looks like I'm going to back this now...
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    A mod that increases party size to 6 would be the only one that I would crave. :smile: Plus anything that makes the TB combat less tedious.

Looks like ranger class is an upcoming stretch goal.
    edited September 2019
    6 pary member is something that i have some problems and don't think that will work. I mean
    • The cutscenes are made for 4 party members
    • The encounters was made for 4 party members, it means that will take more time
    • And be much easier
    • The position of some dungeons traps would be obvious made for 4 people.
    • the navigation in tinny dungeons will suffer too
    • The resources(loot) will be made for 4 party members and the in game economy too

About most popular classes
    eq8YCeF.png
    Source https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-least-popular-class-to-play-in-Dungeons-Dragons
    Grammarsalad
    6 pary member is something that i have some problems and don't think that will work. I mean
    • The cutscenes are made for 4 party members
    • The encounters was made for 4 party members, it means that will take more time
    • And be much easier
    • The position of some dungeons traps would be obvious made for 4 people.
    • the navigation in tinny dungeons will suffer too
    • The resources(loot) will be made for 4 party members and the in game economy too
    Um ... we're talking about a mod. It's your choice whether to use it or not. Personally, I wouldn't mind it despite the obvious problems for repeat playthroughs after I have beat the game once.
    edited September 2019
    We got the party banters =) To unlock ranger as a class (wtf? another warrior-type and no bard, warlock or druid?) and the new background "Academic" will be difficult because there are few days to fund...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister

They really missed an opportunity there with not implementing aarakocras or similar playable birdfolk in Solasta. It would have been one of the few games where wings could actually make sense.
    Yep, the wings in NWN2 and P:K were a little underwelming, even if you have the option for aasimars and dragon bloodline...

I think they can potentially add $10-20,000 in these last three days. And since their stretch goals are only a few thousand dollars from one to the next, not only will they add the curently announced goals but likely one or two more as well. Hopefully. :)
    davidthegnome
    Anyone know if Unearthed Arcana is under OGL license? If is, there are an (tinny) chance of getting Lurker in the Deep WLK(i know that is a very small chance)

Links

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/sorcerer-and-warlock

https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-AberrantLurk.pdf
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    No, it's not. A good starting point to look for stuff that's actually OGL is https://ogl-srd5.com/
    SorcererV1ct0r
  • davidthegnomedavidthegnome Member Posts: 37
    edited October 2019
    kanisatha wrote: »
    I think they can potentially add $10-20,000 in these last three days. And since their stretch goals are only a few thousand dollars from one to the next, not only will they add the curently announced goals but likely one or two more as well. Hopefully. :)

Yes often the last 2 days of the campaign have the largest amount of funds raised. Does Kickstarter still send out 48 hr reminder emails to people who added a project to their favorites? There's hopefully a lot of people who have been putting it off to decide what tier they want to pledge for and also some people who may choose add ons or increase their pledges at the last minute. I'd be very surprised if Ranger wasn't unlocked at this point.
    Yeah! only about $4K left for Ranger with just over two days to go. I think this could realistically end up at around $250K. So maybe there's hope for even one more class yet.

I'm kinda torn between half-elf and half-orc. In 5e half-elves get a bonus to charisma which is very nice for paladins... But a half-orc would be nice for greater variety. They'll probably have some unique dialogue options.

kanisatha
    I'll probably never purchase Solasta in the future (surely not before it's made compatible with Steam Play/Proton) if they are choosing those boooooooooriiiiiing half-elves over the much needed half-orcs. Being green is justice!

And I am still baffled about the lack of winged races. Just sayin'.
    Grammarsalad
    edited October 2019
    Seems we reached rangers for solasta ( Now we need to mod them so they have an animal companion, can shapechange several times a day, be able to use ritual spells and druidic magic casting disponible ;) )
    ED: It seems Larian backed with high tier fund, so we reached the goal. Seems Swen now will name a boss in the game. =p

Albeit the h-elves have the cha bonuses, I think H-orcs could give more RP options (if they implement that options o.O ) due to the fact that we already have elves in Solasta.
    Any race will be fine, if we reach it. If there is a good response maybe they add h-elves to the game anyway, it would not be the first time in a kickstarter =P

To be honest, the voice acting of a streamer (with no prior experience in voice acting) does not appeal to me much. I am sure that he is a good person and a willful entertainer, but I find that add more content to the game is a priority (In the discord they even said that the guy does not even give publicity to the game in his channel). It would be cool to have h-orcs instead as a stretch goal sucess for that money.

Post edited by PsicoVic on
    davidthegnome
    edited October 2019
    I believe that this game is doing exactly the opposite of pathfinder kingmaker in therms of classes. I mean, PF:KM implemented an insane amount of classes, but a lot of classes, feats and heritages was bugged, most dragon shape spells had an similar texture and your class had almost no importance on story or NPC interactions.

Solasta in other hands will focus much more in quality over quantity, so will be much less classes, but they will be better implemented. I honestly prefer be able to do cool stuff like be an sorcerer of an silver draconic bloodline, conjure an army and assume an huge dragon form, but also believe that Solasta will be an amazing game too...
    NpTnZgu.jpg

My unique fear is that the game will not have much replay value due the small amount of classes.

edit : Vincke endorsement on twitter
    PsicoVic
    Background "Academic" reached.
    only 5k to go for a new race h-elf or h-orc.
    davidthegnome
    edited October 2019
    I believe that this game is doing exactly the opposite of pathfinder kingmaker in therms of classes. I mean, PF:KM implemented an insane amount of classes, but a lot of classes, feats and heritages was bugged, most dragon shape spells had an similar texture and your class had almost no importance on story or NPC interactions.

Solasta in other hands will focus much more in quality over quantity, so will be much less classes, but they will be better implemented. I honestly prefer be able to do cool stuff like be an sorcerer of an silver draconic bloodline, conjure an army and assume an huge dragon form, but also believe that Solasta will be an amazing game too...
    NpTnZgu.jpg

My unique fear is that the game will not have much replay value due the small amount of classes.

It would be great if we could have at least 8 classes in the game because with a four person party that'd make two completely different playthroughs possible.

Part of the expense with implementing classes in Solasta must have to do with the voice acting costs. Each class is going to have its own dialogue responses and probably some additional variations based on archetypes (each class will have 3), backgrounds, race, and possibly even the gender of your character...

I'm sure modders will probably add more classes into the game unofficially, they just won't have unique dialogue.

I'm hoping maybe at least one more can be unlocked yet (just guessing that $250K would be another class).
    kanisatha
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Ohhh, Cohh Carnage as a voice actor! I may back it up solely because of this. I just love the man!
    Voted for half-orc. Why settle for half an elf when you can have a whole one? Half-orc provides much greater racial variety/diversity than half-elf.

And yes, I also hope/wish we end up with at least eight classes eventually, even if it is through later DLCs.
    Well, next class is Sorcerer. Can't see the number yet but given how the stretch goals are spread out it's probably about $255K. Funding slowed down a bit yesterday but that seems possible.
  • shaldonshaldon Member Posts: 37
    Sorcerer is possible but will take a last push - if you haven't backed this yet, do it! If you're not sure - play the demo, it rocks.
    Half-orcs... LOST?! R.I.P. Solasta: you died even before you were released.
    ThacoBell
    edited October 2019
    Well, next class is Sorcerer. Can't see the number yet but given how the stretch goals are spread out it's probably about $255K. Funding slowed down a bit yesterday but that seems possible.

Yes, the "wizard, rogue, cleric and knight" started if i remember correctly started on 4e essentials. IMO new classes and races, mainly those who are rarely available in other games should receive an greater priority over background and voice acting and "legendary items"...

I did what i could, divulgued the KS in most places that i know and lets see if reach enough for sorcerer since wizards are pretty boring IMO...

edit : will sorcerer be funded? 6 hours for US$13k...

H6XaPqh.png
    Post edited by SorcererV1ct0r on
    edited October 2019
    An update on kickstarter
    "We fell short of the Sorcerer Stretch Goal, which means we most likely won't be able to add it to the final game... at launch, that is! We've seen how much love this class received in the comments and on our social media channels, so we decided to offer the Sorcerer Class as FREE DLC after we wrap up Solasta: Crown of the Magister!

Get ready to sling Empowered Fireballs and Twinned Haste, for the Sorcerer will definitively make its way to Solasta!"

source > https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/2643025

IMO they should have added the class in the initial pool. Sorcerer VS Paladin VS Ranger, not ranger VS paladin. But the good news is. Sorc will probably come after the launch...

Lets hope that Dragonborn will come in a future DLC too(not expect free DLC). I only know an single game that allow you to play as Dragonborn. DDO and DDO is not faithful adapted like Solasta.

DD9sXah.png
    Grammarsalad
    Yep, sorc free dlc confirmed. That would add some variation to the classes of the game after launch.

Congrats to the Solasta devs. Now just wait, for this one, for Realms beyond and for BG3. Tough times.
    Grammarsalad
    Dragonborn were also in Neverwinter as part of their Tyranny of Dragons DLC module. Other than that there's also Tales from Candlekeep: Tomb of Annihilation with a playable Saurial character (which is a far more interesting race than scaly Fus-Roh-Dah's :p ).

But yeah. Still utterly disappointed that half-orcs aren't in. And probably won't be unless Solasta will allow slacker backer pledges via paypal to count towards stretchgoals as well. Pathfinder: Kingmaker did this for instance.
    ThacoBellGrammarsalad
    I'm still hopeful that half-orcs, and even possibly dragonborn, will be in future DLCs. I would be happy to pay for small DLCs that add in additional classes or races.