Skip to content

Looking for a not-so-expensive zip file.

Silver21leafSilver21leaf Member Posts: 19
Could someone discuss the following with me? A few years ago I paid 40 dollars for Winzip. In my opinion thats way overpriced. i'd like to find a less expensive alternative to this but I don't really want a free file. Could I get some feedback about this?

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Moved to off-topic.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Really depends on what OS you're using. Truth be told: I do have not a single idea why you wouldn't want any of the outstanding open source (and completely free), multiplatform archiver programs out there. 7-Zip is legendary at this point.

But if you really are set on paying for software you could always look for PowerArchiver 2019. It's with $23 one of the cheaper archiver progarms on the market that are still being updated on a regular basis. It's only for Windows though.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    I also recommend 7-zip, especially since it will open any of the other archive formats I have come across, not just .zip extensions.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i use winrar for all my "zipping" needs, and you can use a program that gets rid of the "your trial is up and you should buy the real thing even though we arent going to force you to do so lol"
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited October 2019
    Individual users aren't expected to pay for winrar. Ultimately, it's businesses that pay for licenses and that's been supporting the software for years. Obv the software doesn't spell this out, but using it free is what the developers intended.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Free: Peazip or Bandizip. Nice GUIs and everything most people need.

Paid: PowerArchiver. Depending on the version you choose it can even be used as a backup solution.
  • Silver21leafSilver21leaf Member Posts: 19
    Thanks all :smile: