Skip to content

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited September 2019
    Since it speaks of a coming up kickstarter campaign for their studio's first game next month, it doesn't seem to be related to WotC's various IP's. Given that company is allergic to crowdfundings.

Good. More freedom for them.
    ThacoBellkanisathaCrevsDaak
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited September 2019
    Good news. Very good news.
    A pity he left beamdog but a new studio with a new RPG game will always be welcome. I´ll wait for more.

I suppose they will make a new universe of their own for their upcoming game, but It would be nice if they pick pathfinder 2.0 of Paizo. Owlcat already stated that they will keep using 1.0. I think Gaider and company will do a fantastic work in an adventure in Golarion.
    RaduzielCrevsDaak
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Seems like everyone is making a new RPG these days ... except for you know who. ;)
    Raduziel
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Don't know how I feel about illustrated games. Never played one. Feels like I would end up bored after a while.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Did anyone get the exclusive preview that their website mentioned? It's been over a week, but I also failed to verify my email since it went to promotions instead of main.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    https://www.onlysp.com/summerfall-studios-moves-crowdfunding-project-to-fig-amid-kickstarter-controversy/
    Only Single Player
    Steve Carman
    Summerfall Studios Moves Crowdfunding Project to Fig Amid Kickstar...

Summerfall Studios is set to announce its illustrated character-driven adventure project at PAX Australia on October 11.
    BioWare veteran David Gaider, who left the esteemed role-playing game studio in 2016 after almost two decades with the company, has announced his next big project. Gaider has started a new team, Summerfall Studios, headquartered in Melbourne, Australia, and their first game is probably not what you would expect. The new game is called Chorus. It is part musical, part illustrated adventure game, and part character-driven narrative. Summerfall is looking to fund the game on the crowdfunding/equity platform Fig, with a projected release in Q1 2021.

They launched a crowdfunding project, not in kickstarter due to ideological differences with the platform.
    Summerfall Studios has announced the studio will transfer its crowdfunding project to Fig due to Kickstarter's stance on unionization.

It seems Gaider lured Troy Baker an Laura Bailey of CR for the musical

a video game musical, with olympian Gods doing stuff. That is a long stretch from FNV

KamigoroshideltagoThacoBellCerevant

Ah well, wouldn't be the first music inspired video game I'd backed. Deathbulge being a point in case. Not to mention me being a great fan of Brütal Legend and all. That American comic art style takes a while getting used to it. But the rock off with Minotaur in the fig trailer sold me real hard. Good ol' Tenacious D with Beezleboss showdown nostalgia right there... Hopefully the various dialogue/musical choices are inspired by different music genres as well. The female protagonist's songs are a tad too soft on this headbanger.
    Cerevant
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    They launched a crowdfunding project, not in kickstarter due to ideological differences with the platform.
    Summerfall Studios has announced the studio will transfer its crowdfunding project to Fig due to Kickstarter's stance on unionization.
    When will people learn to throw the politics the **** out of business :facepalm:
    edited October 2019
    Ardanis wrote: »
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    When will people learn to throw the politics the **** out of business :facepalm:
    Oh it was a typical business decision. Fig allowing for sponsors to invest into ongoing campaigns and all. That alone brought them like $70k within the first hours or so. Otherwise there would have been no reason to prefer fig over more prominent crowdfunding sites such as indiegogo.
    ThacoBell
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited October 2019
    Oh it was a typical business decision. Fig allowing for sponsors to invest into ongoing campaigns and all. That alone brought them like $70k within the first hours or so. Otherwise there would have been no reason to prefer fig over more prominent crowdfunding sites such as indiegogo.
    Hardly. They've got almost 100k already because the project has Gaider's name on it, not because of any investment interest (94000/1600 = less than $60 per backer, hardly an investment), they would've got that amount on any platform, but even more so on Kickstarter.
    edited October 2019
    Gotta disagree with you here. ?
    You can see from the tiers that one sole investor already pledged at $20k. That is the major difference between both sites.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I am intrigued. . .

The Chorus pledge is already filled up when I first checked. $150 to sing and be part of the game, that was a huge deal and I'd probably auto pledge for that myself. I do have to go through the other options carefully. I want to back it, but I need to check finances first.

I think I'd prefer a game like this more on mobile. Listening to showtunes (with headphones) on the train while driving the story, would be a cool concept imo, especially if it isn't action oriented.

I really can't see myself sitting in front of my laptop listening and not getting bored. It seems very similar to Where the Water Tastes Like Wine, which was very innovated in it's game play and story telling, but still hard to get through. Although that game lacked conflict to keep the player hooked where this one seems to have it.

I am also not a fan of choose one of three dialog paths options, however, figuring that it is a musical, I can cut them some slack as they pretty much have to write three different, but still in the same context songs, which is ambitious to say the least.
    Kamigoroshi
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    How are pledge tiers any different from the 'buy a Hackmaster +10' for x$ that the major developers torment us with?
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    An interactive... musical? Hrrmmm... *watches the video* Well, looks like I'll be passing on this one. I wish Gaider and Summerfall all the best, but musicals REALLY aren't my thing. XD
    [Deleted User]Balrog99

Nice to see the extended version of the minotaur encounter and how gameplay will be handled more indepth. Clearly not a thing that pleases everyone, but I can appreciate its take on humour. :)

And for those interested: here's an hour long video stream of when @David_Gaider and @LiamEsler had a panel for Summerfall Studios over at PAX AUS 2019.
    RaduzielPsicoVicIsewein
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Case you missed the news (its a few weeks old) they hit their target.

https://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/news/69975/summerfall-studios-hits-its-fundraising-target-for-a-new-title/

JuliusBorisov