Skip to content

BG1+2 Switch: Are there cheats or a command like SHIFT+CTRL+8? Can I import .CHR files from PC?

DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
I've rolled enough for one lifetime but if I have to then that is what I must

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Hi! Cheats and debug menu are not available on console.
    Importing files and saves from PC is not possible.
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    also, 5 save slots? that's like 95 less than I typically use
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Member Posts: 100
    Dorcus wrote: »

I think it's because there are usually stricter limits about having a static save file size on consoles, they don't want saves to balloon out of control because all the games have to share the more limited storage space, especially on Switch.

When you think about it, 5 slots for BG, 5 slots for Siege, 5 slots for BG2, 5 slots for Black Pits, and 5 slots for Black Pits 2, in addition to any number of characters you decide to export and make available between all of them, that can be a significant amount of data.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    A save takes less than 200KB. 5 saves is ridiculously low and should not exist with the current hardware.
    Dorcus wrote: »
    5 slots for BG, 5 slots for Siege, 5 slots for BG2, 5 slots for Black Pits, and 5 slots for Black Pits 2

ya but I'm only playing one of those at a time, with one character
    I regularly delete my Baldur's Gate saves once I'm done with a character, but I found an archive of every Icewind Dale save I ever made:

166 saves total, they take up 56 MB on disk. are save files a different size on Switch?
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Member Posts: 100
    edited November 2019
    lefreut wrote: »
    A save takes less than 200 KB. 5 saves is ridiculously low and should not exist with the current hardware.

Looking online for Baldur's Gate saves, I see some at over 700KB. Also I'm approaching the later parts of the game on the Switch and saving is starting to take noticeably longer (2 seconds instead of instant).

Not sure if the BG:EE saves are slightly bigger than classic saves. For example there's a small screenshot of where you were in the game saved along with it, not sure if that's part of the original game or not.

The combo packs of BG1/BG2 and IWD/PS:T each have a 61.5 MB save on the Switch. I assume this is more than would ever reasonably be needed to ensure that the save file never increases in size (again...a console requirement).

If we assume a worst case scenario and say every save caps at 1 megabyte, and as stated earlier there are 25 save files in this pack, that could account for 25 MB of space. Then if Beamdog are being smart, every save file could have a mirror or backup in case of catastrophic failure (i.e. every time you save it doesn't overwrite, but moves the current save to a backup area and then creates a new save), which would double that 25 megs to 50. And out of the 61.5 MB save that leaves us with some more extra space for anything else required.

EDIT: Actually forgot a few other things...looks like ToB has its own separate save files, and also each of these also has chapter saves and autosaves, so 7 saves per. 42 total save files across all of them, fitting into 61.5 MB. That's about 1.5 MB reserved per save file.

And yeah, you could say "give us double the amount of saves and make it 120 MB." But honestly? Just me personally? I really appreciate this conservative approach. The Switch only has 32 GB of onboard space and all your saves have to live there. Some games use up A LOT of this space. Dragon Quest Builders is 700 MB, Minecraft is 800 MB. NBA 2K18 demands a whopping 5 gigabytes for some ungodly reason. If you live in a household with others who use the console with their own accounts, each account that plays these games gets their own saves that take up the same amount. Some people have filled theirs up.

So I appreciate a game that only takes up 60 megs.
    Post edited by UncleSporky on