Skip to content

Which area(s) in BG:EE need more love? [The Enemy Within]

13»

Comments

• PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    An interior for the Gnoll Stronghold definitely gets my vote. When I first went there, twenty years ago, I couldn't believe there was no way into the fortress and I spent hours looking for the door, convinced I must have missed it. And still, every time I go back I feel like there is something missing.

It would be great if there was an interior and maybe a link to it via a secret passage from one of the caves.

I remember the first time I ever played BG and got to the fortress that I was scouting around the caves thinking there might be a back door into the fortress. I'd have hidden a sally port somewhere round there if I'd designed that area.
    StummvonBordwehrAerakarPermidion_Stark
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    An interior for the Gnoll Stronghold definitely gets my vote. When I first went there, twenty years ago, I couldn't believe there was no way into the fortress and I spent hours looking for the door, convinced I must have missed it. And still, every time I go back I feel like there is something missing.

It would be great if there was an interior and maybe a link to it via a secret passage from one of the caves.

This. Preferably the cave with the tome, as it makes zero sense for a bunch of Xvarts to have it otherwise. Such a mod could even allow for an alternate tactic for handling the fortress, similar to how you can cut out the Firewine "maze" and get straight to the point.
    Permidion_StarkNoloir
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Pingwin wrote: »
    Can you get up onto that plateau near Gullykin using Dimension Door? I know there's nothing up there but whenever there's an area in a game that looks impossible to reach you have to wonder if there is anything there...

An area I always thought was lacking is the far south east area with Samson and a load of gibberlings. Quite anticlimatic considering the trek to get there. Ok I know Dorn's quest will take evil characters there but I have the new NPCs modded out of the game so it's still mostly empty for me.

That plateau is difficult because the gully is so deep and you can walk behind it. The way IE handles "ground" means that the land behind and below would overlap the land at the top of the plateau. You would need to put something there (like a hut, etc.) to resolve that issue - which would make said plateau pretty darn small. It is annoying, as you can't completely clear the FoW save for using clairvoyance, but I don't see a realistic way to use it for anything.
  • kungfuhobbitkungfuhobbit Member Posts: 168
    Friendly Arm Inn and Gnoll Stronghold
    Aerakar
  • Prince_of_LiesPrince_of_Lies Member Posts: 90
    I honestly feel like the lighthouse itself was a missed opportunity for a nice, small, self-contained dungeon with a banshee as the end-of-dungeon boss.
    Permidion_StarkmonicoNoloirAerakar
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    edited March 2020
    North of Nashkel most definitely for vanilla BG. It has next to nothing but the Zombie farm to the North of the bridge is lackluster. Instead of Dorn's quest being outside of Baldur's gate maybe it should be there in the North East tip of the map instead. Adding to the corrupted nature of the area. It's hard to image Nabassu spawning causally at the Gate's bridge but near a zombie infested farmstead feels more appropriate.
    Aerakar