Skip to content

Adalon's loot? (POSSIBLE SPOILER)

I have never played an evil character, because I think the whole game is designed for good or, at best, neutral characters. (There's very little evil that you can actually do without everything becoming ridiculous.)

So, I have never killed Adalon the silver dragon. My question: what kind of loot does she carry? Anything interesting? I know she must drop some silver dragon blood, because there's that guy in Umar Hills, but does she drop anything else?
Daevelon

Comments

• SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited December 2013
    A magical crossbow (that she will give you anyway, if I'm not wrong), gold and the scroll to break the drows seals to exit the Underdark.
    And her blood, of course... That blood, thanks to a quest, will be used to create an awesome human leather armor. Probably the best leather armor in the whole game.
    Weird for a "game designed for good, or at best neutral, characters"... ;)
    semiticgoddess
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    edited December 2013
    Thanks!

The game does have the occasional evil item, some of which are really good, but the whole superstructure is geared towards good or neutral. If I were to play an evil character, I wouldn't give a damn about the problems in Trademeet or Umar Hills, for instance. I wouldn't want to free the slaves in the Copper Coronet, I would much rather take over and build my own slave empire. I would want to use my Bhaalspawn blood for power: take over the whole of Athkatla for a start. And so on. But the game doesn't let you do that.
    semiticgoddessilduderinoDaevelon
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    For Trademeet the incentive is gold to pay whichever evil you are dealing with. Many quests have that dialogue path so you don't skip them when RPing an evil party.

In this regard I love and recommend the Adrian mod npc, an evil sorcerer. He's a former slave so he justifies taking down the CC business (otherwise I wouldn't do it either) and when quests proposed feel like a paladin's duty he reminds you to think about the gold first (Korgan does that a lot too). He also has banters with Beamdog NPCs!
    gorgonzolaArtona
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @Iansounet: Sorry, that kind of reasoning doesn't work for me. The evil dialogue paths are appropriate for someone who considers shoplifting a candy bar to be the epitome of evil. The way I see it, there's nothing in the game that allows you to be truly evil, so I'll just play according to the paths that don't seem eminently unreasonable, i.e. the good or the neutral one.

If I were to play evil, I'd start by eliminating both the Shadow Thieves and Bodhi's guild for trying to manipulate me. But that's not possible if you want to get anywhere in the game.
    Daevelon
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    My team is CHARNAME, Jaheira, Hexxat, Imoen, Neera, and Viconia. Will anyone have an issue with me killing Adalon? I'm planning to do it for the first time to get Hexxat the Human Skin, but I'm not sure if anyone will have an issue. Imoen is the only "Good" character, but Jaheira sometimes has an issue with evil deeds...
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Lol i asked something like that in another thread but all i got was trolling and derailing of the thread. But i hqve played the game many times and im 90 percent sure no character has an issue with killing the dragon...still 10 percent chance...
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Someone answered in my thread and they say mazzy wont accept killing adalon
    T2avsemiticgoddess
  • MelchiordMelchiord Member Posts: 4
    Rasaad leaves the party if you attack Adalon.
    semiticgoddess
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Pffft. Amateurs. Powerlevel until you can get Time Traps, lay seven of them all around the already open door (since you're drow, they're non-hostile). Then let Adalon lead you to the underdark exit for the Exp reward, then kill her with backstabs before time unfreezes and she can escape.

Nobody in the party gets mad, she's infinitely easier in human size, and you get multiple strikes of Jan swinging Crom Faeyr with Belm and a full round after timestop ends while she tries to teleport to safety.

Or, y'know, just crank everyone up with buffs, let the enemy squad of drow whale on her a bit (helps to be packing invisibility), then rush in and attack her with everything you have to kill her before she can dimension door. That's what she gets for leading you into a drow ambush.

Evil: Double billing and getting away with it.
    Blackraven[Deleted User]semiticgoddessDaevelon
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    @Pantalion, your tactic is clever but requres metagame. AFAIK you have no clue from the game that the door the drows are guarding is the exit from underdark or that Adalon will teleport herself and the party there. Also not all the evil parties have a thief whith many time traps.
    About Crom Faeyr how can you have it whithout getting in the underdark the Girdle of Frost Giant Strength and exiting the underdark to have it forged?
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

@Pantalion, your tactic is clever but requres metagame. AFAIK you have no clue from the game that the door the drows are guarding is the exit from underdark or that Adalon will teleport herself and the party there. Also not all the evil parties have a thief whith many time traps.
    About Crom Faeyr how can you have it whithout getting in the underdark the Girdle of Frost Giant Strength and exiting the underdark to have it forged?

Metagame? Of course not. You already spoke to the drow stationed there, and, knowing that it is the exit, and that there will probably be heavy resistance there later on, what can you do except lay down multiples of your best trap while disguised, in preparation for if you need to make a hasty escape?

And silly me, I was thinking later on. It would probably have to be the dragon slaying blade instead at that point, wouldn't it?
  • Well, and I don't really feel remorse about metagaming when the game is using its own brand of metagaming in giving NPCs instant-cast uninterruptable teleports purely to prevent the player from executing a clever double-cross.
    @Kaigen
    Also I don't really feel remorse about metagaming, but the game is only trying to defend himself from 2 inherent limitations, the impossibility to change enemies tactics and to give them a real intelligence.
    Somehow I feel that he is fair in his cheating and I feel less fair when I cheat or use metagame.
    I really like how in Tactics Mod some low level enemies are spawned just before the real ones to absorb the damage of traps that have no reason to be set outside metagaming knowledge, and I think that Item Randomizer Mod is wanderfull both in avoiding long term metagame, choosing the order of the quests just for the items you can find, and in giving a new element of surprise to players that know everything about this game.
    But there is nothing wrong in metagaming if you like to do it, I sometimes like and sometimes don't, but the reason is not feeling guilty about, is giving more or less challenge to my runs. Things like traps whith a party whitout thief, prebuffing before a battle or spells memorization have a different flavour if metagame is used or not.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    as far as I know adalon only gives her blood, exit scroll and some gold in the unmodded game (even EE).

or am I missing something?
    There is also a mod, don't know if EE compatible, that let you ask Adalon some of her blood.
  • earsushiearsushi Member Posts: 1
    i always kill adalon after i hand over her eggs. it's possible even after patch or ee. check out where she brings you at, in the cave, and then set traps as many as possible and also set up some skull traps so it can attack her as soon as she gets there. and then go talk to her, hand over the eggs. teleport, press space to stop before dialogue, she turns red by the skull traps and the traps(spike traps are the best) will almost kill her, and attack her at your best before she teleports back to her lair (or just disappear) then she will die in human form leaving the blood and the eggs. there was a rumor that the eggs hatch in tob so i kept them all the time but that was a rumor...the eggs didnt hatch.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    I do not remember where I read it, so you can treat it as just a stupid rumor, but there was a story about Adalon's partner having died long ago, and Adalon having received the eggs (with her dead partner's seed) from a God as reward for her excellent service, with the bonus that the eggs would only hatch at the time of Adalon's choosing.
    With Adalon dead, it would follow that the eggs would never hatch.

What always irritates me about dead dragons is that at best they drop enough scales for a single set of armor. Adalon drops no scales at all. Does she plug her scales as some sort of beautification thing? Is she a nudist dragon?
    The Enhanced Edition introduced both Silver Dragon Scales and Silver Dragon Scale armor, and Adalon continues to be naked.
    iosfrustration
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    kryptix wrote: »
    My team is CHARNAME, Jaheira, Hexxat, Imoen, Neera, and Viconia. Will anyone have an issue with me killing Adalon? I'm planning to do it for the first time to get Hexxat the Human Skin, but I'm not sure if anyone will have an issue. Imoen is the only "Good" character, but Jaheira sometimes has an issue with evil deeds...

Jaheira complains about evil deeds more than most good npcs
    ThacoBell
  • iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    I’ve always been puzzled by the outright crappiness of Adalons crossbow quest reward.

Probably a dozen hours of questing through the underdark and drow city, and some crappy 3rd tier peashooter as a result? My Monty Hall powergaming sensibilitys will not stand for this insult! Prepare to die goody-two-shoes dragon, I’ll craft that damn armour and hide it right back under the bed just to make a point!
    gorgonzola
    in the old times there was a mod that allowed you to ask to adalon a little of her blood if you followed the good path.
    it had some sense even if a not evil charname would probably not use an armor made at the cost of killing so many people.
    i don't know if that mod is still available for EE.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    We need a mod that adds scales
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    Arthas wrote: »
    We need a mod that adds scales

Its there already
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/56567/mod-bgii-ee-unofficial-item-pack

The armor only works in ToB IIRC
    Thanks StummvonBordwehr. But aren't the scales also dropped by the silver dragons in Dorn's quest?
    StummvonBordwehr
    not every one likes to play dorn so do his quest.
    imho only evil charnames should deal with a guy that proposes to slaughter innocent people as fist thing as you meet him in soa, and that is serving a demon.
    not only good oriented charnames should be horrified at the perspective, but also neutral ones and probably even some evil ones.

DaevelonThacoBell
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    not every one likes to play dorn so do his quest.
    imho only evil charnames should deal with a guy that proposes to slaughter innocent people as fist thing as you meet him in soa, and that is serving a demon.
    not only good oriented charnames should be horrified at the perspective, but also neutral ones and probably even some evil ones.
    I completely agree, for example i've never even started the quest and i don't know what happens in detail (i'm just aware there is a wedding with non-conventional ending and a fight with 2 dragons).
    Instead, in bg1, i usually complete his quest and in bg2 i complete the hexxat's quest.
    No I didn't mean that you should do dorn's quest. What I meant is that I would love to see a mod simply adding the scales to adalon knowing that such a item is also already available in bg2 ee
    gorgonzola