Skip to content

Modules won't load

"Could not load the Module. Could not unpack the Module."

I'm running into this for all original campaigns of NWNEE as is, and have removed all steam workshop mods, verified integrity of game cache, uninstalled-reinstalled, uninstalled-removed all files (sadly removed saves without backing up)- reinstalled... i'm at a loss. What's wrong with my trying to run it? Computer is more than beefy enough.

Comments

• ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    For the original campaigns? That's REALLY odd... I have the GoG version, so I'm afraid I don't know much about Steam specifics, but where have you installed the game to? I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it.
  • JessicaJessica Member Posts: 29
    edited November 2019
    Yeah, original campaigns. I installed it to my HDD (I save my SSD for the stuff I use often that is also more intensive), and as far as I know have removed where it would back up other items. It's really strange to me too. Nothing would have changed shy of automatic updates. I'm at a loss for how this happened, especially since the GoG non-enhanced version runs well (but I enjoy the ease of steam workshop more atm)
    Edit: Forgot to mention I did submit a ticket to their support desk, but no word in 24 hours yet. Not counting Sundays because obvious, but maybe they're off on veterans day.
    So they used to be working before? Do you get a similar error trying to open custom modules? I was thinking maybe if the game was installed to a custom location it might cause problems (since for me I've edited my nwn.ini file to let me save all of my game data like modules etc. to a custom directory to avoid taking up space on my SSD, like you), but the campaign modules aren't stored on the SSD anyway; they're saved to wherever you installed the EE game, so on second thought I don't think that would be the cause.
  • SymphonySymphony Member, Developer Posts: 142
    This can be a lot of different things, but it’s almost always from moving the game files around to save space like you may have. The game is pointing where things used to be, which is no good.

I will respond soon with a longer reply with some step by step stuff to help, and will ask you which things I need to know in order to help.
    Zaxares wrote: »
    So they used to be working before? Do you get a similar error trying to open custom modules?

Correct, I did have them working with no significant changes about half a year ago. Haven't done anything fancy like modifying the ini. I do have the GoG version of the original still installed and it works (keeping it unaltered in case fiance feels up to trying to play together again). I would have hoped even if that were the issue that a full removal of the base folder and a reinstall would fix that scenario though.
    Symphony wrote: »
    This can be a lot of different things, but it’s almost always from moving the game files around to save space like you may have.

Beyond modifying where it installs via steam's installer, I have not done that at any point. Having said that, I do look forward to your assistance whenever you have time.
    Sad thing right now is my ticket (NWNS-325) hasn't been touched since last Sunday. I get Veteran's Day may have people off that day, but surely there's not been enough tickets between then and now for support to contact, right?
    Are you running an nVidia graphics card, by any chance? Just asking because I was looking through this thread today and the OP mentions that the workaround they were using allowed them to load modules now, which they couldn't do before.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/77400/when-will-there-be-a-fix-for-the-nvidia-gpu-driver-so-i-can-use-the-latest-gpu-drivers#latest
    Zaxares wrote: »
    Are you running an nVidia graphics card, by any chance? Just asking because I was looking through this thread today and the OP mentions that the workaround they were using allowed them to load modules now, which they couldn't do before.

I was using nVidia 980m, so i did check out the thread, turned off Threaded Optimization globally, didn't change a thing sadly.
    edited November 2019
    Official support contacted (and apologized for wait, citing console porting and bug report system porting as reason). apparently somehow I overlooked the docs folder and its info. While to the best of my knowledge I hadn't modified it (outside of possibly allowing windowed mode), it appears to have been solved by moving/renaming the folder and the game created a new one. Figured I'd put the solution here for people to see and try in the future.

Edit 10m later: turns out turning on the onedrive backup kept changing my save location. what had been C\Users\[user]\Documents\Neverwinter Nights became D\OneDrive\Documents\Neverwinter Nights... what a nasty little change. No amount of attempting to force the directory to look in the C location would keep it there, as it would instantly refresh and become the D drive. joy! (colons removed for preventing smilies)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Thanks, @Jessica. Glad to see your issue is now solved, and our supported replied. We try to address all the incoming bug reports, but due to the number of platforms and projects involved, can't always do that in due time.