Skip to content

Funny or strange things found in the files and scripts of BG:EE

I've been messing around with the Near Infinity explorer/editor to see how parts of the game are put together. There are some funny things buried in there that I've stumbled across and wanted to share.
  • There's a dialogue file called KOBOLD.DLG which simply says "I am a dork." The condition which would trigger this dialogue is set to false, which as far as I can tell means it should never happen. It doesn't look like it's assigned to any creature either, so it's likely just a file for testing. Still, would've been funny if a kobold somewhere in the game would call himself a dork under certain circumstances. :)
  • The ogre mage at the end of the Firewine Ruins is apparently named "Dick" (or perhaps he is a dick). The condition for completing the quest given by Gandolar in Gullykin to stop the kobold attacks is written as Dead("DICK") // Ogre Mage, meaning it's checking whether Dick is dead to give you your quest reward.
  • In Alatos' thieves guild quest to steal skyship components, there is a global variable involved called...ASSNUTS. The variable is set when he gives you the quest and appears to change Delorna's dialogue when you speak to her and ask for her component.
  • Denak is one of the red wizards found in the Spider Wood area in the east part of the map. Normally he will either greet you with some hostility and attack, or else speak cryptically to Edwin if he is in your party and leave you alone. This dialogue file is called DENAK.DLG (as most NPC dialogue files are named). However there is a second dialogue file for him which is unused, identical to the first but missing the unique Edwin dialogue. This file is named...DENFUCK.DLG.
  • The dialogue file for the Amnian soldier who yells at you for entering the Nashkel barracks is HICK.DLG. Again...not sure if his name is Hick, or if he is a hick.
  • A funny little test file of dialogue with a man named Jim: Up5Jxmg.png
  • There are two identical dialogue files named SCOTTY.DLG and SPANKY.DLG that are not assigned to anyone which appear to be a brief barroom insult back-and-forth, starting out with "You're an ugly bastard, eh?"
  • A conversation called TEST2.DLG apparently for testing purposes: AnG6E7E.png The NPC would only say "I have more than 25 HP" if their HP was over 25 (shocker). You are only allowed to reply "Glorf" if the NPC has over 127 HP.
JuliusBorisovNoonArtonaThacoBellStummvonBordwehrsmyth25Buttercheese

Comments

• Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    Yeah, when you have to regularly come up with dozens names for variables that no one is going to see in-game, at some point you are going to start assigning silly names.
    Imagine having to name every single nail and screw that went into the construction of your shed.
    ThacoBell
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    I remember IMTOOSEXYFORTHISBRUS ...
    smyth25JuliusBorisov
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    Indeed, one of my favourite articles on the game: https://quarterly.camposanto.com/baldurs-gender-76dbdb4ba17e
    :p
    Chroniclersmyth25StummvonBordwehr
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Isewein wrote: »
    Indeed, one of my favourite articles on the game: https://quarterly.camposanto.com/baldurs-gender-76dbdb4ba17e

From the comments on that article
    The best thing I remember about genders in Baldur’s Gate 2: the time my wild mage triggered a wild surge and accidentally gender-switched an Efreeti.

Which, as a result, turned into a moose.

I assume the the Efreeti didn’t have a gender, so the game just assigned one at random and chose the first model in that range it could find.

It was an odd moment.

That's hilarious! It never occurred to me what the implications of gender changing magics would be on creatures that are classified outside of the human genders.

Wonder if that can still happen, or if Beamdog patched that away at some point?
    ThacoBell
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I remember IMTOOSEXYFORTHISBRUS ...

I see that one every time I open EEkeeper, but I've never understood what it actually does?
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    Wait, you're supposed to talk to people to get the components for the Skyship??? I always just had a thief sneak in and nick everything from a draw in one of the bedrooms.
    ThacoBell
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    Chronicler wrote: »

From the comments on that article
    The best thing I remember about genders in Baldur’s Gate 2: the time my wild mage triggered a wild surge and accidentally gender-switched an Efreeti.

Which, as a result, turned into a moose.

I assume the the Efreeti didn’t have a gender, so the game just assigned one at random and chose the first model in that range it could find.

It was an odd moment.

That's hilarious! It never occurred to me what the implications of gender changing magics would be on creatures that are classified outside of the human genders.

Wonder if that can still happen, or if Beamdog patched that away at some point?

I believe you can use the console to force join any creature into your party so you could equip them with the gender change girdle and see what happens...
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Pingwin wrote: »
    Wait, you're supposed to talk to people to get the components for the Skyship??? I always just had a thief sneak in and nick everything from a draw in one of the bedrooms.

Yeah, that's what my parties have always done. They are even conveniently located in a single drawer, rather than having to turn over the whole house. (The developers should have placed the components in different rooms for an additional challenge)
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Maurvir wrote: »

Yeah, that's what my parties have always done. They are even conveniently located in a single drawer, rather than having to turn over the whole house. (The developers should have placed the components in different rooms for an additional challenge)

I got caught on a recent run because I had neglected to put anywhere near enough points into hiding in shadows and the room the components are in is brightly lit. I got stuck in the bedroom with no way of sneaking out and so had to go and face Shandalar's daughters. From memory the dialogue choices were along the lines of:

1. Hand over the components or it will be the worse for you.
    2. I'm just a servant not a thief. You just don't recognise me because I am new.
    3. I will buy the components off you.

I hoped to talk my way out of it and went with option 2. They didn't fall for my cunning ruse. They turned hostile and chased me out of the building. In the end I had to get Edwin to cast Improved Invisibility on me so I could return to the house and swipe the loot.

I don't know whether any of the dialogue options will actually get you the treasure but Shandalar's daughters seem like quite able young women so I doubt threatening them is going to work. However, they are resentful towards their father so I guess they might sell you the components (but it's pretty embarrassing to be a thief who has to buy the loot you should be stealing).
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Member Posts: 100

No, you're not supposed to. It's a variable that is set to change dialogue because now you have the quest, so now you have something different you can say to her if you speak. All conversational paths still lead to them attacking you.

Imagine if you broke into the house before having the quest, you shouldn't be able to say anything about the components yet because you don't know anything about them.
    ThacoBell
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Ah, right, I forgot about that. I always have Imoen carry a few potions of invisibility for those occasions, but she did get caught in a run years ago (when the game was still new and I was playing on the PC)

I learned a long time ago to never depend on a thief's stealth abilities entirely. They can fail a save at the most inopportune times. (Except for Valygar - that guy could hide in "shadow" in broad day light on a sunlit beach)

I also learned to find a shadow, hide in it, then race to the next hiding spot before the round is up. However, as you pointed out, that particular house is very well lit.