Skip to content

Plans for Siege of Shadowdale or Crimson Tides of Tethyr?

Any plans to let Ossian do AL1 or AL2 of the cancelled premium modules? Well? WELL?!

*ahem*

HURRY UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! XD
Isewein

Comments

• themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    Simple answer: A sequel, The Blades of Netheril, is planned. AL1 and AL2 were considered but ultimately decided they were better left as is. However, it's probably better to hear it from the developer so. . . .

Long answer (To quote the original developer of these modules):
    LukeScull wrote: »
    Tyrants of the Moonsea was formerly a premium module that got cancelled by Atari and released in an unfinished state. It made sense to use the talent at Ossian's disposal to see the original vision fulfilled.

AL1 and AL2 are community modules that were technically finished a long time ago. AL1 is an old and rather basic module and doesn't meet the quality bar for a professional re-release. AL2 is closer to the level of quality fans would expect, but it relies on custom content (e.g. the music) that would be difficult to license. All three modules are standalone and can be played individually in any order.

When The Blades of Netheril eventually sees the light of day, it will be both a sequel to the AL series and the official campaign and expansions (including Ossian's D&D stuff).

Here is the full thread if you want to read it:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/69482/the-blades-of-netheril-inc-enhanced-al1-2-3/p2

• 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    Simple answer: A sequel, The Blades of Netheril, is planned. AL1 and AL2 were considered but ultimately decided they were better left as is. However, it's probably better to hear it from the developer so. . . .

Long answer (To quote the original developer of these modules):
    LukeScull wrote: »
    Tyrants of the Moonsea was formerly a premium module that got cancelled by Atari and released in an unfinished state. It made sense to use the talent at Ossian's disposal to see the original vision fulfilled.

AL1 and AL2 are community modules that were technically finished a long time ago. AL1 is an old and rather basic module and doesn't meet the quality bar for a professional re-release. AL2 is closer to the level of quality fans would expect, but it relies on custom content (e.g. the music) that would be difficult to license. All three modules are standalone and can be played individually in any order.

When The Blades of Netheril eventually sees the light of day, it will be both a sequel to the AL series and the official campaign and expansions (including Ossian's D&D stuff).

Here is the full thread if you want to read it:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/69482/the-blades-of-netheril-inc-enhanced-al1-2-3/p2

omg, thank you bro. You're the best.
    themazingnessIllustair
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited December 2019
    I don’t think I ever got to play these modules, but it gets me excited to know that Ossian has one if not many more in store for us. All the more reason to support Beamdog and Ossian. It may sound corny but NWN, BG and KotOR series will always have a special place in my heart.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited December 2019
    Illustair wrote: »
    I don’t think I ever got to play these modules, but it gets me excited to know that Ossian has one if not many more in store for us. All the more reason to support Beamdog and Ossian. It may sound corny but NWN, BG and KotOR series will always have a special place in my heart.

AL1 (Siege of Shadowdale) was fun. It is a bit linear, heavy on the lore (which is both good and bad to me), and a couple of fights weren't the best balanced fights for your character's level and available skills, but the fun had no lulls which I can say about few RPGs.
    I can't speak for AL2 (Crimson Tides of Tethyr). I have a low attention span, and it didn't hook me so I didn't even get out of the starting city. But that's probably more of a problem with my brain than with the module. I'll probably give it another try at some point.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    edited December 2019
    Illustair wrote: »

AL1 (Siege of Shadowdale) was fun. It is a bit linear, heavy on the lore (which is both good and bad to me), and a couple of fights weren't the best balanced fights for your character's level and available skills, but the fun had no lulls which I can say about few RPGs.
    I can't speak for AL2 (Crimson Tides of Tethyr). I have a low attention span, and it didn't hook me so I didn't even get out of the starting city. But that's probably more of a problem with my brain than with the module. I'll probably give it another try at some point.

Any module that adds new lore books is fun and a great module. I haven't played CToT yet. It looks good. It's especially awesome to see new enemies in the game.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    CToT is great fun for BG fans. You get to revisit Suldanesselar and explore a certain Joneleth's legacy. I actually think it works well as a denouement after the saga, seeing as there is little connection to AL1. I even created a PC to represent one of my Bhaalspawn's companions to play the module.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    al 1 would need a complete redo and i don't think the author considers it worth the time. al 2 is considered complete it was just al 3 that was unfinished.