Skip to content

Pre-Darkness over Daggerford

IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
I plan on playing Darkness over Daggerford and Tyrants of the Moonsea successively. In the first place, is my assumption correct that story/lorewise there is no problem with that?

But what I’m most interested about is if there’s a module that fits perfectly as a pre-Darkness over Daggerford story and level-wise? Thanks!

Comments

• DwayneDwayne Member Posts: 102
    Good question. I hope there is a module.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Darkness over Daggerford is a seperate module entirely, with a self-containing plot. A prequel to Darkness over Daggerford doesn't exist. It is also not related to Tyrants of the Moonsea in any way. So it really doesn't matter which module of the two you wind up playing first.

That being said, I'd suggest playing Siege of Shadowdale and Crimson Tides of Tethyr prior to Tyrants of the Moonsea, As those three are all chapters of the same "saga", so to speak.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    yeah darknesss over daggerford and moon sea have nothing to do with eachother. they are both stand alone modules.
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    There is, actually, 1 or two dialogue options that let you claim to be the hero from Either DoD or CToT, but the connection is pretty weak either way. I would say DoD to Tyrants is actually a better path, since CToT will leave you with more overpowered overabundant gear. I'm not at all sure what I would suggest to from frm level 1 to DOD that would fit the theme.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited December 2019
    Yes, Darkness over Daggerford is pretty self contained. It has some references to Baldur's Gate though.

From my understanding, Tyrants of the Moonsea is too. Siege of Shadowdale and Crimson Tides of Tethyr are technically the modules that come before it, being called AL 1 and 2 (TotM is Al 3). But to quote the author, "All three modules are standalone and can be played individually in any order." The only advantage to playing them in order is your character will naturally level up to the level you should be for AL 2 and 3.

However, things may change once The Blades of Netheril comes; to quote the same author: "When The Blades of Netheril eventually sees the light of day, it will be both a sequel to the AL series and the official campaign and expansions (including Ossian's D&D stuff)." (quotes from LukeScull, https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/69482/the-blades-of-netheril-inc-enhanced-al1-2-3/p2).
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    Since you asked, there is a number of community modules well suited to provide your character with some experience before DoD. Some decent ones set around the northern Sword Coast are for example "Into the Toadshade" (https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/toadshade-sp-version), "Elena's Tale" (https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/elenas-tale-roses-rosa) or "Sapphire Star" (quite the extensive campaign in its own right, actually).
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Thanks! Will look into these modules. I’m particularly interested in a story that would give me a good background. How are they storywise? I also found a newly released module that looks interesting - The Secret of the Founder. So as of now, I plan on playing an entry level module, then DoD, TotM (I’ll skip AL1 and 2 for now, but will give them a shot next time). Btw would PRC work on these modules?
  • chevalierchevalier Member Posts: 51
    In general, for such situations I think it's a good idea to search the Vault for modules that:

- are set in the Forgotten Realms
    - don't require a DM
    - don't have game-breaking issues
    - put you at a level not too low and especially not too high for the module you want to to play (note that 'too low' can be fixed by being granted XP at the beginning of the target module or you can find another, short adventure to squeeze in between)
    - won't pose a conflict such as incompatible time-frame, killing characters who are supposed to stay alive or otherwise affecting the lore in incompatible ways
    - don't impose an incompatible family or other personal background on your character

Unfortunately, I don't think a search is possible for multiple criteria.

I suggest you start from level 1 — just select a nice module for level 1 characters and see where it takes you, then look for something for whatever level you're at, just making sure you don't end up too high.

Then there are always the Infinite Dungeon or the option to level up within whatever module you want to play — or a 'hall of training' type of module — and just write your character's bio. Perhaps even use a build that is good on the level you're at but would be a pain in the side getting there (for example getting Weapon Master levels up to 5 or 7 may be less exciting than levelling up as a caster or even plain Fighter).