Skip to content

Keyholing Bug in Latest Release?

TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
edited December 2019 in General Discussions NWN:EE
This is with the very latest retail release on PC using the Medieval Rural (aka Mountains & More) tileset by Zwerkules. In the picture below the PC is standing next to the stairs. In game it is raining (hence the vertical streaks) and the time is evening (hence the darkness of the image).

cqs5shze58xq.png

Surely the staircase shouldn't have that hole in its side. Definitely turning keyholing off. BTW anyone know if we can turn it on and off via script (essential from a builder's standpoint IMO) yet?

TR

Comments

• SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    BTW anyone know if we can turn it on and off via script (essential from a builder's standpoint IMO) yet?

Keyholing is meant as a navigation help for players, like TileFade. You wouldn't (and IMO shouldn't) be able to control this as a builder, as it's entirely a player thing. You can suggest to players "For best experience, turn keyholing off" or similar, but it's entirely up to them whether they listen to you.

Most of NWN works this way, the player has the final say on how the game is rendered on their end.
  • Grizzled_DwarflordGrizzled_Dwarflord Member Posts: 168
    What is the line and setting for Keyholing to be turned on or off in nwnplayer.ini? I don't see any patch notes anywhere on this.
    What is the line and setting for Keyholing to be turned on or off in nwnplayer.ini? I don't see any patch notes anywhere on this.

nwnplayer.ini is not used any more. In settings.tml you can search for "keyhole", or you can press ctrl+shift+f12 in game and modify it from the config menu there.
  • DazDaz Member Posts: 125
    edited December 2019

You can disable it with the ingame debug menu (Ctrl+Shift+F12) or by opening settings.tml and searching for graphics.keyholing and setting enabled to false
    What the blazes? No nwnplayer.ini? So what happened to my current one with all of my configurations and settings?
    The settings were migrated over to settings.tml. There are a few reports of a certain setting migration getting botched, but in most cases you shouldn't worry about it.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    What the blazes? No nwnplayer.ini? So what happened to my current one with all of my configurations and settings?

Please check out the patch notes. https://steamcommunity.com/games/704450/announcements/detail/1700601856699270961 and also available in game files.

Please check out the patch notes. https://steamcommunity.com/games/704450/announcements/detail/1700601856699270961 and also available in game files.

Thanks Julianus. It was on Steam so that's why I didn't find it. I'm not a Steam guy, and frankly I'm tired of all the pandering to them. But I get it. Money, jobs, kids to feed, and so on....
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Glad you got that sorted. Now can I have my initial questions answered please?

TR
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Isn't it answered by the first comment?
  • Old_GithOld_Gith Member Posts: 152
    I was able to disable it from the player side using the GUI config via Contol Alt F12 method. But setting it to false in settings.tml does not disable it. Was that TR's question? Wait, no. He wanted to know as the builder if he could disable the player-side keyholing with a script in game/module. For instance, the player character is trapped in a dizzying array of spider funnels, and the PC must navigate the funnelwebs old school, rather than to cheat his way using keyholing. Is that the crux of it?
    edited December 2019
    Something similar. There are instances where keyholing can actually kill navigation. For example, I built an area in a module that had placeables on small sticking out sections of wall. They were there as part of a puzzle that granted access to another area. They had to be on the small wall sections otherwise the PC couldn't get close enough to them. With keyholing on, these wall sections would disappear when you got close enough and at the right angle to actually be able to click the placeables. This in turn made the placeables disappear which meant that there was no way to access the hidden area.

[edit]

Just went into NwN to get pics to illustrate this and it appears that the disappearing placeables has been fixed.

Still leaves the misplaced holes though. I thought keyholing was only supposed to occur between the camera and the PC, not off to one side.

TR
    Post edited by TarotRedhand on
  • KaosWarMonkKaosWarMonk Member Posts: 40
    edited December 2019
    You can also toggle key holing on/off via a simple key binding in the Settings > Controls menu.

I can't answer TR's query but I will add I've noticed key holing affecting grass, looks especially odd when the grass is in front of my character, noticeable if you're zoomed in kind of close.

Also tile sets with ceilings seem a bit off now too. Second level set to always on, key holing off. The ceilings are acting like they do when you have second level set to auto. Edit - using the new config menu and setting the second story to always on gets the ceilings working properly for me.
    Post edited by KaosWarMonk on
    The one effect that really puts me off keyholing is that when you go downhill the ground behind you just vanishes. To illustrate this, here is a screenshot taken using the vanilla rural tileset -

1520gxp101z9.png

TR
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    edited December 2019
    I haven't decided yet if I prefer keyholing on or off yet, but the current implementation does work much better if you reduce the maximum radius by half, (I used .3).