Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited December 2019
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    With Kamala Harris suspending her campaign today (and for anyone wondering, the reason people who drop out "suspend" their campaign is so they can continue to pay off debt with money received from donors), the face is now between two things. Either the Democrats will have the courage of their convictions and nominate someone who is pushing for meaningful change (Sanders or Warren) or they will continue to be scared of their own shadow and retreat once again to a neo-liberal no-man's land in the hopes that they can siphon off enough Trump voters with Biden or Buttigieg by trying to placate people who are probably never going to vote for them in the first place.

Biden continues to prove on a daily basis he is simply not up for this, but he is Joe Biden and he was VP for 8 years, and that is, apparently, more than enough for alot of people. Mayor Pete is whip-smart but there is nothing underneath. I have no idea where he stands on anything.

The Warren campaign is foundering too from what I've been reading. That leaves who, Bernie? That could be interesting...

I'm increasingly worried about Biden's staying power. Look, Biden is a good guy, but he's old and he LOOKS and SOUNDS old. And the media will no longer hold Trump to any standard whatsoever because he has none, but they absolutely WILL hold Biden to one. His entire campaign is "I'm not Trump". I believe we already tried this strategy.

I'm still a Warren supporter, but I'm increasingly of the opinion that it would be best to simply load both barrels and go with Bernie. But that will require him winning Iowa AND New Hampshire. If Biden is blanked in the first two states, you'll see his numbers drop off quick. Before Biden loses his grip on national polls, someone else has to be on TV declaring victory on primary night.

Side note: it is long past time both parties quit letting these two small, rural, overwhelmingly white and homogeneous states decide who the nominee will eventually be EVERY 4 years. Iowa and New Hampshire are in no way an accurate reflection of the population at large. But the eventual nominee is all but required to win one of them to have any prayer.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    With Kamala Harris suspending her campaign today (and for anyone wondering, the reason people who drop out "suspend" their campaign is so they can continue to pay off debt with money received from donors), the face is now between two things. Either the Democrats will have the courage of their convictions and nominate someone who is pushing for meaningful change (Sanders or Warren) or they will continue to be scared of their own shadow and retreat once again to a neo-liberal no-man's land in the hopes that they can siphon off enough Trump voters with Biden or Buttigieg by trying to placate people who are probably never going to vote for them in the first place.

Biden continues to prove on a daily basis he is simply not up for this, but he is Joe Biden and he was VP for 8 years, and that is, apparently, more than enough for alot of people. Mayor Pete is whip-smart but there is nothing underneath. I have no idea where he stands on anything.

The Warren campaign is foundering too from what I've been reading. That leaves who, Bernie? That could be interesting...

I'm increasingly worried about Biden's staying power. Look, Biden is a good guy, but he's old and he LOOKS and SOUNDS old. And the media will no longer hold Trump to any standard whatsoever because he has none, but they absolutely WILL hold Biden to one. His entire campaign is "I'm not Trump". I believe we already tried this strategy.

I'm still a Warren supporter, but I'm increasingly of the opinion that it would be best to simply load both barrels and go with Bernie. But that will require him winning Iowa AND New Hampshire. If Biden is blanked in the first two states, you'll see his numbers drop off quick. Before Biden loses his grip on national polls, someone else has to be on TV declaring victory on primary night.

Side note: it is long past time both parties quit letting these two small, rural, overwhelmingly white and homogeneous states decide who the nominee will eventually be EVERY 4 years. Iowa and New Hampshire are in no way an accurate reflection of the population at large. But the eventual nominee is all but required to win one of them to have any prayer.

The difference between Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders is that Bernie looks excited and energized while Biden looks befuddled and lethargic. It's probably not the true reality I'm seeing but that's the impression I get...
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    i'm trying to get a hold on how many warren supporters would support sanders sooner than biden. if it's not that many i think sanders might quit, so that warren could win the nomination. because i think sander's supporters would support warren much more gladly than the other way around.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    bob_veng wrote: »
    i'm trying to get a hold on how many warren supporters would support sanders sooner than biden. if it's not that many i think sanders might quit, so that warren could win the nomination. because i think sander's supporters would support warren much more gladly than the other way around.

I am pretty sure everyone has learnt from 2016. Anyone but Trump should be a rally cry for everyone whose candidate didn’t make it to the nomination.
    edited December 2019

The difference between Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders is that Bernie looks excited and energized while Biden looks befuddled and lethargic. It's probably not the true reality I'm seeing but that's the impression I get...

It is the reality. Bernie knows exactly why he is running. Biden is selling himself as a savior and return to normalcy. But the absolute deal-breaker with Biden (in the primary) for me is that he seems to actually believes Senate Republicans will work with him, which to me is so far removed from reality that it makes me question his mental state. Would I vote for Biden over Trump?? Sure, but absolutely no one is ethusiastic or motivated by Joe Biden's campaign. He is the person scared Democrats believe they HAVE to nominate. They thought the same thing about John Kerry juxtaposed to Howard Dean.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Weather's terrible all over. Fires are constantly burning everywhere from Australia to California to Brazil.

The climate IS changing and extreme weather is threatening people's lives.

The Republican agenda fueling this must be stopped in the United States and liberals all over the world must act as well or they too must be voted out of power.

If the liberals are voted out who do you turn too? There is no alternative to the entrenched bullshit parties we have in this country...

I was more referring to liberals in other countries (who are conservatives). Although yes liberals in the US that not up to the job should be shown the door as well.
    edited December 2019
    deltago wrote: »

I am pretty sure everyone has learnt from 2016. Anyone but Trump should be a rally cry for everyone whose candidate didn’t make it to the nomination.

I believe the saying is "vote blue no matter who".

The Republican party has gone full cult of personality. They all seem to want a monarchy and are pushing that (their) Presidents are unnaccountable and totally immune to the law.

They can not be allowed to keep putting up more unqualified judges who will make this vision of an authoritarian serfdom a reality.
    edited December 2019

It is the reality. Bernie knows exactly why he is running. Biden is selling himself as a savior and return to normalcy. But the absolute deal-breaker with Biden (in the primary) for me is that he seems to actually believes Senate Republicans will work with him, which to me is so far removed from reality that it makes me question his mental state. Would I vote for Biden over Trump?? Sure, but absolutely no one is ethusiastic or motivated by Joe Biden's campaign. He is the person scared Democrats believe they HAVE to nominate. They thought the same thing about John Kerry juxtaposed to Howard Dean.

One of these days a Democrat will have to call the Republicans' bluff and let the government shut down for a significant amount of time. That's the only way to deal with them. At some point you can't back down to bullies. Although I tend to agree with many Republican policies, I still think they're very childish with their antics and tantrums to get their way. Democrats seem very naive about psychology in general though and let them get away with it.

If the Democratic Party could come up with a solid plan for how they intend to achieve their goals, including a detailed explanation on how it would be funded, I could get on board. This pie in the sky 'rich people will pay for everything' bs though is insulting to my intelligence. That's my main gripe with Bernie and especially Warren. Their plans won't work and they know it. Tell me honestly what it will cost me and let me decide if it's worth it. Explaining it to the uneducated masses might be tougher, but with all of their Ivy League educations they should be able to come up with a way. Unfortunately, that selfsame education might be precisely why they can't seem to appeal to the common folks...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

One of these days a Democrat will have to call the Republicans' bluff and let the government shut down for a significant amount of time. That's the only way to deal with them. At some point you can't back down to bullies. Although I tend to agree with many Republican policies, I still think they're very childish with their antics and tantrums to get their way. Democrats seem very naive about psychology in general though and let them get away with it.

If the Democratic Party could come up with a solid plan for how they intend to achieve their goals, including a detailed explanation on how it would be funded, I could get on board. This pie in the sky 'rich people will pay for everything' bs though is insulting to my intelligence. That's my main gripe with Bernie and especially Warren. Their plans won't work and they know it. Tell me honestly what it will cost me and let me decide if it's worth it. Explaining it to the uneducated masses might be tougher, but with all of their Ivy League educations they should be able to come up with a way. Unfortunately, that selfsame education might be precisely why they can't seem to appeal to the common folks...

Does the GOP ever have to explain how they are going to fund their next military purchase? The one thing that they throw money at in abundance?

Has anyone asked the question "Where is the money coming from to bail out the farmers effected by the self inflicted wounds of a stupidly managed trade war?"

Can the Democrats just claim "Mexico is going to pay for Medicaid for all," and have half the population believe it?

I don't see why GOP gets a pass on all their spending and Democrats need to have every detail down to the last penny on how money should be spent. The last two democratic presidents fixed crippled budgets and economies yet are always portrayed as the irresponsible ones with money.
    edited December 2019
    If this article is correct, in that 44% of working adults are making less than 20k a year, then it feels like unemployment numbers are almost a pointless barometer at this point in time. There are jobs, but the jobs barely have wages that allow you to subsist, much less move ahead:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/minimum-wage-2019-almost-half-of-all-americans-work-in-low-wage-jobs/

For the record, until 5 years ago, I was this person. I can't even begin to describe how much difference $30,000+ is compared to $20,000. The $18,000 number here is maybe $3000 more than the absolute BARE MINIMUM you need to to get by in this country in 2019. One medical incident or car repair can torpedo the entire thing.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on

i meant that it takes 50%+1 delegates to win the nomination before the superdelegates get a chance to vote. it's clear that biden won't hit that number, but if the progressive vote is split between warren and sanders (right now i'm ignoring the big difference between them), the superdelegats will vote for biden in the 2nd round, which might very well mean he wins the nomination. in that case it would only be logical if either warren or sanders abruptly quit in order to enable the progressive faction to win.

but in the meantime i saw how much warren is tanking in the polls....
    edited December 2019

Does the GOP ever have to explain how they are going to fund their next military purchase? The one thing that they throw money at in abundance?

Has anyone asked the question "Where is the money coming from to bail out the farmers effected by the self inflicted wounds of a stupidly managed trade war?"

Can the Democrats just claim "Mexico is going to pay for Medicaid for all," and have half the population believe it?

I don't see why GOP gets a pass on all their spending and Democrats need to have every detail down to the last penny on how money should be spent. The last two democratic presidents fixed crippled budgets and economies yet are always portrayed as the irresponsible ones with money.

I actually think "Mexico will pay for Medicare for all" is exactly what the Democrats should say, ad nauseam, if only to drive home the point. Warren started losing ground the moment she started playing the "how will you pay for it" game. Because the last 3 years have shown us no one actually cares about the answer to this.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957

We have these things called "internets" and "computers" now.

There's no reason it should take 15 months to lead into primaries and 4 months to DO the primaries.

Do all 50 states in a day.
    edited December 2019
    Quickblade wrote: »

We have these things called "internets" and "computers" now.

There's no reason it should take 15 months to lead into primaries and 4 months to DO the primaries.

Do all 50 states in a day.

The problem there is it basically plays out like a sports season. Except it isn't ESPN broadcasting the games, it's CNN, MSNBC and FOX. It seems designed to be drawn out for maximum drama, with Super Tuesday essentially being the start of the playoffs, the conventions as the Conference Title games, and November as the Super Bowl. Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina are early-season division rivlalry games.

But the dumb shit doesn't start or stop there. The reason we vote on Tuesday (when the people mentioned in my post above are trapped at soul-crushing jobs they can't skip) is because of the agricultural situation and travel realities on the late 1700s.
    Amazing video of British people's minds being blown by the cost of healthcare in the United States

• BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    I'm pretty bummed about politics after today.

I was a pretty big fan of KH, but I can see she didnt run a good campaign and was never going to win. The disheartening part is that she lot not only because she ran a poor campaign, but because she was (Mostly unfairly) vilified by certain segments of the Democratic electorate (That segment overlapping mostly with Sander's supporters, but also Warren to an extent - those for whom the first word that comes to mind for KH was "cop").

Its only in retrospect that this seems like a bad play, since it's clear now that KH was probably the 3rd most "left" serious candidate in the field. She's not as far left as Sanders or Warren, but with Buttigieg pivoting to the center (and Biden already being center left), she was not running as a moderate.

So now the campaign is down to 4 realistic contenders. Two are center left. Three are above 70. They're all white, and 3 are men. Warren is being pushed down in the polls because of fallout from her healthcare plan, both by the center-left (Buttigieg and his more popular MFA who want it crowd), and by Sander's electorate, who are excoriating her as the ultimate turn-coat.

edited December 2019

I was a pretty big fan of KH, but I can see she didnt run a good campaign and was never going to win. The disheartening part is that she lot not only because she ran a poor campaign, but because she was (Mostly unfairly) vilified by certain segments of the Democratic electorate (That segment overlapping mostly with Sander's supporters, but also Warren to an extent - those for whom the first word that comes to mind for KH was "cop").

Its only in retrospect that this seems like a bad play, since it's clear now that KH was probably the 3rd most "left" serious candidate in the field. She's not as far left as Sanders or Warren, but with Buttigieg pivoting to the center (and Biden already being center left), she was not running as a moderate.

So now the campaign is down to 4 realistic contenders. Two are center left. Three are above 70. They're all white, and 3 are men. Warren is being pushed down in the polls because of fallout from her healthcare plan, both by the center-left (Buttigieg and his more popular MFA who want it crowd), and by Sander's electorate, who are excoriating her as the ultimate turn-coat.

The purity test on Warren, who is farther left than anyone BUT Sanders and is with them on 95% of the issues is what really pisses me off. At this point I'm close to throwing in my lot with Bernie simply because I know there is a segment of his supporters who will gladly throw the election to Trump if he doesn't get the nomination. There isn't anyone else they'll accept, so I'm really not sure what other option there is. I mean, who is this crowd going to accept as a viable VP candidate for Bernie?? I understand Sanders is pretty much the most consistent and least bought politician of modern times, but this messianic status that is being placed on him is just getting infuriating. It's not really his fault. He is who he's always been. But I have to wonder exactly what these people are going to think in two years if the Republicans hold onto the Senate and nothing close to resembling Medicare for All is on the table two years into a hypothetical Sanders first term. He can't wave a wand a ndchange the healthcare system. Obama had to use EVERY OUNCE of his political capital from his win in 2008 to even get something as milquetoast as the ACH passed.

Well they're all not out there playing footsies they're all trying to win.

I like Warren but she might not be tough enough to deal with the inevitable mud slinging and fake lies she'll have to deal with with Trump.

Releasing the detailed "how your going to pay for it" was never going to win her fans from those who already had their minds made up that they hate it. Those people were not going to read it and change their minds anyway. It just gave them something to nitpick. Which as somebody else stated is ridiculous since Trump's laughable "Mexico is going to pay for the wall" was the bar she had to clear.

I liked Kamala well enough. Just not ready for her I guess. She'd be an ok AG maybe? Or she can just stay in the Senate. Dems need more people like her with a backbone there.

Anyone of them would be a better option than the guy we have currently.
    Joe Biden, on a “No Malarkey” bus tour through Iowa, lashed out at an Iowa town hall Thursday after a man suggested the former vice president helped his son get a sweetheart deal in Ukraine and was “selling access” like President Donald Trump does.

This question appeared to enrage Biden.

Returning to the issue raised earlier of his age and fitness, Biden then laid down the challenge: “Let’s do push-ups together here, man. Let’s run. Let’s do whatever you want to do. Let’s take an IQ test.”

The man (83) was speechless.

“No one has said my son has done anything wrong,” Biden said, adding that he “did not on any occasion” do anything wrong and that “no one has ever said it” (except presumably Donald Trump and several conspiracy theories put forward by various Republicans)

“I didn’t say you were doing anything wrong,” the man replied.

“You said I set up my son to work on an oil company,” Biden shot back. “Isn’t that what you said? Get your words straight, Jack!

This is pretty, uh, odd behavior. If Biden can lose it over a mild question, how is he going to handle other serious situations? I mean Trump is frightened and hides from the media and tough questions but it appears Biden is not capable of handling criticism either. And ffs, "no malarkey" haha ok boomer.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/05/joe-biden-calls-man-damn-liar-076438
    edited December 2019
    If Biden and Trump is the match-up, it's going to be literally nothing more than two septuagenarians having a dick measuring contest for 5 months. Trump will be Trump, and Biden probably would challenge him to a goddamn push-up contest on the debate stage, take off his jacket, start doing some, and then throw out his back before getting to ten and have to be helped off by medical personal. As for Trump, no one has yet been given any explanation about his abrupt "early" physical a few weeks ago, yet when I was at the gym last night, I unfortunately had no choice but to glance at the FOX News chyron, and they were still talking about Hillary having "coughing fits" (as she had a fascinating interview with Howard Stern yesterday).

Trump could frankly keel over at any second with his diet and lack of activity. Biden is almost 80. Bernie is also their age, and had the minor heart attack, but he has bounced back strong and quickly, and he hasn't missed a beat, nor is there any sense his mind isn't as sharp as it has ever been. You simply cannot say that about Trump and Biden. Go watch videos of them in the early-90s and then watch them talk now.
    edited December 2019
    One of my colleagues at work shared this with me today. She's very anti-Trump but found this clip about Bernie Sanders hilarious. It looks like some of the clips were edited but it's still comedy gold! Bernie just reminds me of that eccentric uncle that everybody likes but they have to kinda roll their eyes and ignore his idiosyncrasies...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-oxfzabpTWY

ever since he mocked assange for his arrest, i completely despise trevor noah.
  • TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835

Remember this?

"Former key Mueller witness George Nader arrested on child pornography charges"
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/03/politics/george-nader-mueller-witness-child-pornography-charges/index.html

Now this....

"Key Mueller witness charged with funneling contributions to Clinton campaign"
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/04/politics/george-nader-key-mueller-witness-charged-with-funneling-contributions-to-clinton-campaign/index.html

Right? Left? Really? Wake up!!!
    It appears for all the world as if the cops in this situation killed a UPS driver being held hostage because of their Rambo tactics. Check out the whole Twitter thread and video. This is the inevitable result of the militarization of our police forces, but, more importantly, it's about how what really matters to them is making sure PROPERTY is protected at all costs. After all, there might have been some expansive jewelry in the truck.......

• TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835
    The Naval Air Station shooter has been identified, Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani, a Saudi National.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/active-shooter-reported-naval-air-station-pensacola-n1096966
    TakisMegas wrote: »
    The Naval Air Station shooter has been identified, Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani, a Saudi National.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/active-shooter-reported-naval-air-station-pensacola-n1096966

DeSantis all tough talk about Saudi Arabia. Maybe he should run that by the leader of his party who has been playing footsie with them for the last 3 years because they spend obscene amounts of money at his hotels and properties and that has ignored Congressional demands to no longer fund the arms deal for their war in Yemen. Yeah, I'm sure Trump will get right on that. Just like he did when a journalist employed by an American newspaper was hacked apart with a bonesaw at the instruction of the Crown Prince.
    edited December 2019
    As I mentioned before, Hillary Clinton actually sat down with Howard Stern for an extensive interview this week, and it's all on YouTube, and it's a great watch even if you're convinced you hate her. But right now, I have to attack my own side.

At a certain point in the interview, Stern talks about how Bernie often will come out with plans that basically sound like the kind of empty promises a kid running for Student Council President would make. In other words, things we'd like to do but have no hope of actually accomplishing. The example here was free college, and because of the context Stern put it in, she said "free chocolate milk for everyone", CLEARLY referring to the kind of slogans kids make in elections in high school as a joke. But today on left Twitter, she is getting excoriated for comparing free education to chocolate milk.

This not only takes the quote completely out of context, but even if you take the meat of that part of the conversation on it's face, it's correct. I'd love it if college was free, but healthcare is about 10,000x more important, and until THAT is free, I have no interest in ALSO trying to (politically) put free college on top of the pile. I'd take Medicare for all 100 times out of 100 over free college, and we need to stop expecting everything to be fixed with a magic wand, when getting even ONE of these things done would require a near Herculean effort, much less both.

Wipe out student loan debt?? Fine. Infinitely more grants, scholarships and incentives?? Absolutely. But this free college argument is going nowhere as long as you are ALSO promising Medicare for All, and it's hurting the cause of BOTH issues. And I simply care way more about a family not going bankrupt because their kid got cancer than I do about free community college. Especially when (at best) only half the population is even cut out for higher education, and EVERYONE needs healthcare. It just doesn't rank.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    Wipe out student loan debt?? Fine. Infinitely more grants, scholarships and incentives?? Absolutely. But this free college argument is going nowhere as long as you are ALSO promising Medicare for All, and it's hurting the cause of BOTH issues. And I simply care way more about a family not going bankrupt because their kid got cancer than I do about free community college. Especially when (at best) only half the population is even cut out for higher education, and EVERYONE needs healthcare. It just doesn't rank.

While I dont really disagree with anything you've said, I do think free tuition is and should be a very, very important plank of the party. It's also waaaaaaaaaay more affordable that MFA. So while you my think it's 100 times less important, it's probably also 100 times more feasible. Student debt is one of the largest inhibitors of my generation (Millennial) from getting into the housing market, which in turn is one of the major reasons why my generation has waaaaaaaaaay less wealth associated with it, if you normalize for age and opportunity, than any that has ever come before it.

One of the reasons why I want to handle this asap is because the oldest part of Gen Z are currently going to school. If we get on it quickly enough, we can spare every other generation the hurt that we've gone through. That's important to me.

As a sidebar, as automation continues to escalate and remove jobs from the less educated, this issue is only going to get more and more important. Healthcare is as important as it will ever be.
    edited December 2019
    Let's hypothetically assume Bernie wins the Presidency and the Democrats regain the Senate by one vote. At least 5-10 of those votes are going to be people like Joe Manchin, Doug Jones, Chris Coons etc etc etc who are simply NOT going to vote for either of these programs. Now, Bernie has said he will straight-up look to primary anyone who stands in his way, which is hyper-agressive (I'm a far bigger fan of Elizabeth Warren's plan to eliminate the filibuster). Then what?? You still didn't get the votes for Medicare for All or tutition-free college, and in the process, in two years, you lose your slim Senate majority which is nearly impossible for Democrats to obtain in the current climate in the first place, and then you lose the ability to do the one thing you CAN do with a 51 vote majority, which is confirm judges. We know for a stone-cold fact that a Republican Senate will NEVER allow another Democrat to appoint a Supreme Court nominee ever again. So where does any of this work?? I want both things, but I also understand how this all works in reality. Where is Bernie going to get votes in the Senate without chopping off the heads of half a dozen people on his own side??

I don't think people sufficiently appreciate how much Ben Nelson of Nebraska altered and changed the nature of what Obamacare became because of all his "blue dog in a red state" bullshit. That was ONE Senator flexing their muscles because they thought they had leverage. To pass a fudamentally centrist plan. I am dying to know what the tactic is going to be to deal with people like him to pass true national healthcare.

Which demonstrates another fundamental disadvantage for the left. There are virtually NO liberal Republicans left in elected office nationally. But there are scores of conservative Democrats.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
    Well nobody thought Republicans would be all in on corruption and dictator worship with Trump but they are. The President leads and Congress follows.

If Bernie gets elected the fight for Medicare for all isn't over for the reasons you mentioned but the goal is much closer than it is now. And people that are milquetoast Democrats and corrupt Republicans have to go regardless. They're entire goal is to reward big companies and make our lives miserable.