Skip to content

Limited PW support on xbox/switch and *none* for PS4??

jpsweeney94jpsweeney94 Member Posts: 93
edited November 2019 in General Discussions NWN:EE
According to this news post from beamdog there will only be support for a few PWs on xbox and switch version of nwn ee, and no PW support for PS4: https://www.beamdog.com/news/faq-neverwinter-nights-enhanced-edition-switch-xbox-ps4/
What is the reason for limiting PWs on switch/xbox and excluding them completely from PS4? Is this indefinite, or are there plans to add support for all PWs in the future for all consoles?
Incredibly disappointing to hear if true.
Edit: Also, no cross platform for PS4

Comments

• DaveExaviorDaveExavior Member Posts: 6
    It's very disappointing that a single PW is mentioned in the release notes. I'm sure it's a great PW! but the killer feature of NWN is the custom player run content, and to restrict access to it makes the game a whole lot less worth buying as far as I'm concerned.
    jpsweeney94
  • TomRotflTomRotfl Member Posts: 26
    I really hope that is just a day one limit. I see completely zero sense otherwise.
    jpsweeney94
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The reason is the manufacturer's demands. This is how it could work on console. Sacrifices had to be made.
    RetroStation1989
    edited November 2019
    The reason is the manufacturer's demands. This is how it could work on console. Sacrifices had to be made.
    I understand that making such a game to work on so many multiple platforms is quite a challenge.
    But i also think that since you are selling the "same" product, already available for PC and Android, people expects to be able to do the same things regardless of the device they are going to use.
    So, is that a permanent limit? Or do you expect to make all PWs available at a certain point. If yes, do you have any sort of ETA?
    ---
    Also, being developing a PW myself, i felt a bit "left aside", by knowing that only 2 servers will be included in the multiplayer list of consoles.
    Those 2 PWs are really great and for sure the most populated, but mine isn't really far, and at least i thought that should have been some kind of talking about.
    Has there been some voting and/or some kind of selection somewhere that i missed?
    Thank you.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Thanks for the questions. I'll pass to the team, and will get back to you.
  • BalanorBalanor Member Posts: 176
    edited November 2019
    @JuliusBorisov What is the ETA on Beamdog simply taking over Arelith and Ravenloft (since their admins already do work for/with you) and making them the "official" NWN PWs? I'm sure the console manufacturers are clamoring for you to do that now anyway, correct?
    And followup question; at what point after that will Beamdog no longer allow other PWs on NWNEE?
    I'd like to know the answers to these to determine if it is indeed time to throw in the towel and close up my 11+ year old PW.
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    This all looks like “first platform problems” to an iOS user
    jpsweeney94
  • jpsweeney94jpsweeney94 Member Posts: 93
    ^heh, too true. Tbh, I'll be perfectly happy with a fully featured iOS version of NWN EE when that finally releases (Any ETA?). Just would have been cool to play my favorite PW on the big screen with a controller. Oh well
    edited November 2019
    So, NWSync isn't a big deal, we can set it up. But i guess there will be more required.
    And even that won't be a big deal for those willing to bring their worlds to console players.
    Give everyone the chance, and you'll have many more PWs choices in consoles list
    Post edited by TomRotfl on
  • bonebrahbonebrah Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2019
    Is there ANY game on PS4 thats cross play? It's already been answered that it's not BD's call. Sony is notorious for being garbage about cross play, even when the Rocket League devs have called them out saying it's the flip of a switch despite any other excuses from Sony.

I digress. My question is, what constitutes a PW? Are we talking any servers that are up on the server browser? Can I set up a private server on a custom mod with a password and have my buddies on non-ps4 consoles join ?
    JuliusBorisov
  • jpsweeney94jpsweeney94 Member Posts: 93
    bonebrah wrote: »
    Is there ANY game on PS4 thats cross play? It's already been answered that it's not BD's call. Sony is notorious for being garbage about cross play, even when the Rocket League devs have called them out saying it's the flip of a switch despite any other excuses from Sony.
    As you mentioned rocket league is crossplay, fortnite i believe, and the new call of duty... plus a few others.
    They do exist, but you're not wrong. The list is pretty small.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    edited November 2019
    Although the writing was on the wall years ago this is a bad move. There is still no proper support for the entire community of persistent worlds on PC, two years after their concerns were raised and needs communicated. Still nothing. Beamdog really ought to take a very long hard think about the messaging here. There is obvious bias that will no doubt further divisions and feelings of alienation already plaguing the community. You cannot build a sustainable community for NWN EE around only one or two servers.
    sippelmcMidsummerKnight
  • sippelmcsippelmc Member Posts: 45
    edited November 2019
    I am guessing that maybe the lack of true PW support is the console mfgs not wanting their customers to stumble on servers like Sinfar or something. If that is the case then I'm hoping there is a way for other PWs to qualify like the two that are supported.
    Nonsense, Sinfar wont even move to NWN EE because it's a technical step backwards for them. If they actually had a vetting process then it didn't include simple google searches about those servers, but Balanor is right about why they get a free pass.

There should be less work put in trying to appear family friendly (which they're not) and more work bringing the existing community back together. Otherwise I hope it works out for them and is a huge success on console, and replaces the longterm players they lost. Because if it doesn't they're shooting themselves in the foot.
    Although the writing was on the wall years ago this is a bad move. There is still no proper support for the entire community of persistent worlds on PC, two years after their concerns were raised and needs communicated. Still nothing. Beamdog really ought to take a very long hard think about the messaging here. There is obvious bias that will no doubt further divisions and feelings of alienation already plaguing the community. You cannot build a sustainable community for NWN EE around only one or two servers.

As mentioned in our clarification, linked above, it's no about one or 2 servers. We needed to pilot PWs on console, and it's not that easy and quick with all the manufacturers' demands.
  • bonebrahbonebrah Member Posts: 25
    Nonsense, Sinfar wont even move to NWN EE because it's a technical step backwards for them. If they actually had a vetting process then it didn't include simple google searches about those servers, but Balanor is right about why they get a free pass.

There should be less work put in trying to appear family friendly (which they're not) and more work bringing the existing community back together. Otherwise I hope it works out for them and is a huge success on console, and replaces the longterm players they lost. Because if it doesn't they're shooting themselves in the foot.

You can connect to Sinfar on the EE client. It's been there for a while.
    As mentioned in our clarification, linked above, it's no about one or 2 servers. We needed to pilot PWs on console, and it's not that easy and quick with all the manufacturers' demands.
    It wasn't just two servers though, it was your employee's servers which is what makes the messaging so awful. It's not like you picked five or so and reached out to the rest of the community. It's not like the two you did pick don't have their share of problems either and everyone in PWs for a while knows that. Meanwhile not much else is getting done for the rest of the community and it's a disheartening message.
    bonebrah wrote: »
    You can connect to Sinfar on the EE client. It's been there for a while.

No they have a gateway server which is different entirely, it's like an advertisement more than a PW, their PW runs on a 1.69 / Diamond Edition server, not EE. To connect to Sinfar I believe they ask you to roll back your client to the last stable patch for which they've made their plugin, download their huge hak collection, install their plugin, use their custom launcher to connect. As if that's even possible on console, which it isn't. It's an irrational fear because nobody can accidentally stumble into Sinfar.
  • CelesTialCelesTial Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2019
    Balanor wrote: »
    @JuliusBorisov What is the ETA on Beamdog simply taking over Arelith and Ravenloft (since their admins already do work for/with you) and making them the "official" NWN PWs? I'm sure the console manufacturers are clamoring for you to do that now anyway, correct?

What are you talking about? The PW admins are in no way affiliated with Beamdog, they're unpaid volunteers who have kept those servers running for more than a decade (at least in Arelith's case, not sure how old the Ravenloft PW is). The head admins communicate with Beamdog and occasionally coordinate things for mutual benefit, but are very much independent and intending to stay that way.
    It wasn't just two servers though, it was your employee's servers which is what makes the messaging so awful. It's not like you picked five or so and reached out to the rest of the community. It's not like the two you did pick don't have their share of problems either and everyone in PWs for a while knows that. Meanwhile not much else is getting done for the rest of the community and it's a disheartening message.

What? The Arelith DM team have been unpaid independent volunteers for more than a decade. They're definitely not getting paid by Beamdog and aren't their employees.

• ChreelisterChreelister Member Posts: 30
    I haven't seen anything on a timeline for other PWs? Is there one or is this it? Was there a contest I missed, a test, certain specific guidelines, an application to fill out or was it just pick 2 at random?

I keep hearing about manufacturers demands, so you are saying Nintendo and Microsoft said we want those 2 out of the list of a 100 servers and no more, nothing else? I don't understand the saying otherwise.

Is there any point of any PW trying to convert to EE to get console players or do we give up that pipe dream now? So many questions, so little answers. I am not mad or angry at the 2 who got picked, I don't have an EE server at the moment, so it is not liked I got looked over or failed the cut, I am just so confused on how this works, what needs done and what kind of timeline I am looking at, if I decide to pour a lot of work into a PW?

Also I know one guy who bought the PS version hoping to play PWs, while another waited on his result, one is mad and the other is 50 dollars richer than the mad guy.
    I think beamdog got only Arelith and Ravenloft because both admins are "in thouch" or working or directly cooperating since a long time with them (not a case that the EE presentation was made on Arelith itself).
    So i guess that was an easy solution to begin with, instead of having dozens of server admins askin for this and for that in a messy situation, while the console requirements are indeed a pain.
    While it makes sense logically, it doesn't feel right to be (just my opinion).

Even if it can be a pain, there will be for sure some PWs willing to dive into the process and get their PWs to console players.

Funny thing:
    the only 2 PWs allowed to console players (consoles are 8193 only, they can't revert back to 8186 [as far as i know]), are Arelith and Ravenloft, that for some reason (probably technical), have downgraded to 8186 since release day. So.. no PWs for console players yet, even if there are server on the 8193.x with a lot of players already.
    But i guess that will be only a temporary issue and that they'll get to the newest release asap.
    I keep seeing that the console requirements are a pain, but no details of what that pain might be? Does anyone know, I mean it could be anything from say 1 years worth of work, like for an example, when NWN first came out for Apple, they said it would take 1 year of coding to make the toolset compatible with Apple, no idea of how many people, but I got it, its not worth it, and that made sense to me. Or the pain could be, you need this 1 file. Like for some people NWNX, CEP, making a PW, etc. is a pain too. But I guess I am saying, its a pain, and that is it, does not make me further understand the situation any easier.
  • WilliamDracoWilliamDraco Member Posts: 175
    In this case the 'pain' is not coding/programming related. The Console brands are extremely picky about what can be on their devices, and so beamdog has to limit PW access to those PWs they can approve based on them not having "undesirable content" - whatever that is to sony/nintendo/microsoft.

Beamdog has said they'll have some process for further PWs to get approval but have thus far given no further details.
    It is hard for me to believe that some PWs out there could be worse than say GTA5 for say having undesirable content. I am not sure how the mod community works either on say XBox or PS, or even if it does have one, but that could push the undesirable content way past anything you could do in NWN, in my opinion and basically playing a PW is just playing a Mod someone made, everyone is playing at their own risk. Not saying it might not be true, but it is hard to see GTA5 getting approval or saying we need to check this to see if it is over the GTA5 line, because I don't see how it could be really, especially with no Haks.
    TomRotfl
  • ninjazninjaz Member Posts: 13
    It is hard for me to believe that some PWs out there could be worse than say GTA5 for say having undesirable content. I am not sure how the mod community works either on say XBox or PS, or even if it does have one, but that could push the undesirable content way past anything you could do in NWN, in my opinion and basically playing a PW is just playing a Mod someone made, everyone is playing at their own risk. Not saying it might not be true, but it is hard to see GTA5 getting approval or saying we need to check this to see if it is over the GTA5 line, because I don't see how it could be really, especially with no Haks.

Many times it is not about the content, but just the fact that it is a mod/other file from the base game. As mentioned before, all the console makers but especially Sony and Nintendo can be hard ass about this.
  • PS4 - I imagine that's because the Neverwinter Nights F2P MMO is hosted there already.
    It's a conflict of interests, I'd bet.
    PS4 - I imagine that's because the Neverwinter Nights F2P MMO is hosted there already.
    It's a conflict of interests, I'd bet.

Are you talking Neverwinter or am I missing something?
  • Yeah, sorry, Neverwinter. I forget it's not got the 'Nights' on the end. I've been playing the NN series since AOL. :D
    JuliusBorisov
  • bagofcrazybagofcrazy Member Posts: 3
    All this talk of PW for not being available for PS4 but no mention that it’s not even possible at the moment to even attempt a multiplayer game on PS4 at the moment unless your playing LAN. Not to mention the canned copy past Beamdog sends when you place a ticket. Multiplayer isn’t even possible in PS4 at the moment.Very frustrating!!