Skip to content

Can a good party have Edwin or will he walk??

griffianogriffiano Member Posts: 26
I have just started BG 2 yet again but have never been anything but a fighter (Boring i know) but i'm a thief this time and my party usually has Jan to take care of my spellcasting and thieving needs but I take Anomen, Minsc, Jaheira and Keldorn. So with me being the main thief in a good party I don't feel i need Jan so was thinking of recruiting Edwin but one snag.............he's evil so any Ideas??

Comments

• sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    edited October 2012
    Don't go above 18 reputation.

Trigger the Ravager ability whenever you start going too high for an easy way to drop it down.

Also Minsc and Edwin will try to kill each other and it's unavoidable. Don't bring both of them in the same party. I'd swap him for Haer'Dalis or Mazzy. I believe Valygar also tries to kill Edwin but I'm not sure about that.
  • griffianogriffiano Member Posts: 26
    Oh yeah of course i forgot about all that business with Minsc and Edwin in BG 1 lol
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    This may be anecdotal, but one thing I've noticed is that if you have a high CHA, party members are less likely to bicker. Personally, I've never had an instance where two guys drop group and throw down and I'm in the habit of carrying mixed aligned parties.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    Brude said:

This may be anecdotal, but one thing I've noticed is that if you have a high CHA, party members are less likely to bicker. Personally, I've never had an instance where two guys drop group and throw down and I'm in the habit of carrying mixed aligned parties.

Don't know if this works in BG2 like in BG1. I also used mixed parties but is just a few of scripted unavoidable conflicts (Minsc + Edwin, Keldorn + Viconia, Aerie + Korgan, CN Anomen + Keldorn / Aerie) so maybe your groups, although mixed, didn't have one of these combos - despite having a high Cha leader Keldorn picked on Viconia minutes after adding her to the group iirc.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    edited October 2012
    Unfortunately, in regards to Edwin, his boots were made for walking. And that's just what they'll do.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Even with maximum Charisma, though, Edwin and Minsc will eventually try to kill each other. I'd say your best bet for a mage is either Imoen or Nalia. They don't have Edwin's advantages, but they won't mutiny in the middle of a dungeon either. :)
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    If you don't want to just exploit the game in order to keep Edwin then make decisions and play your character/party in a manner that keeps your rep down in the 14-16 range - more neutral leaning to good than overbearing goodness leaning to disgustingly goody two-shoed-ness !
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Edwin is once of the least conflicting evil npcs. In bg1 he will fight minsc but in bg2 he fights no-one. Just need to keep rep at 18 or below
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Edwin and Minsc never fought when I had em together... Did bicker though... Think I recruited Edwin with rep quite low... It never got to 18... Going to see if I can get them to kill each other next run through. :P
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I've never had the issue of Edwin and Minsc fighting personally.

Clearly it's hit and miss. But of course, go for it. Edwin is bloody awesome.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    If your reputation is 18+, any evil party member will leave you.

Edwin and Minsc will fight eventually. I do believe that it won't happen while he is in female form, however it is dictated by a time scale much like Romance Dialogues.
    The only example I know of this is when Aerie insists you ditch Korgan or she will walk from the party. She gives you 7 days. If you wait 7 days, she will then leave. If you ditch her, rest for 7 days, and take her back, she will still quite promptly bitch about Korgan and leave. I think it's dictated by days/hours that one of them have been in your party, or some science like that.
    Anyway, the point is that Edwin and Minsc will inevitably come to blows unless you rest infrequently or finish the game with swiftness.

On another note: Ditch Minsc, take Edwin: Mixed alignment parties tend to promise good dialogue anyway; Edwin is unmatched by any other Mage. With Keldorn in your party, you don't need Minsc (Mazzy would be a more useful addition).
    Nalia is your next best bet for a Mage though if you do decide to take Edwin as she has more XP opportunity than Imoen. If you play a thief, Jan is a tad redundant I suspect. You'll get plenty of points to open locks, stealth, and disarm traps. Replacing him with Nalia would be pretty effective, or even with Haer'Dalis. It depends who you enjoy too, though.
  • MontaronMontaron Member Posts: 10
    And this is why everyones always evil in my party. Currently playing ToB, with my main character a fighter, Sarevok, Korgan, Viconia, Edwin and Jan Jansen. But yeah if you don't want any trouble just stick with 14-16 rep that should do the trick.
  • RenulanRenulan Member Posts: 109
    Just let Edwin kill him. Edwin is awesome.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    edited October 2012

I'm curious what flags these altercations, and whether or not you see them is pure RNG.