Skip to content

new Mac OS will no longer launch BG2EE

Oh goodie, Mac OS Catalina 10.15 doesn't like BG2EE....It doesn't like BG1EE but it does launch SOD. So, what next?? Is there a way to Launch BG2EE from within SOD? Or am I screwing something up?

Comments

• MrBaquanMrBaquan Member Posts: 42
    My only suggestion is to go back to the old OS. Mac struggles are real :/
  • steelchasersteelchaser Member Posts: 72
    ARRGGGHHH!!! Sure that BG2EE can't be launched thru SOD?? Otherwise I am kinda screwed. Did a bit of research and I don't want to reload previous OS.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    It should be working. The game is 64bit. The system giving a notification the game is not compatible is a problem for Catalina, the same is valid for other games, eg. Pillars of Eternity.
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    It is working. No Problems whatsoever.
    JuliusBorisov
    it just gives me incompatible with Catalina OS. SOD is working fine. I have a while before i hit BG2EE but I am hoping by then a workaround is found.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    it just gives me incompatible with Catalina OS. SOD is working fine. I have a while before i hit BG2EE but I am hoping by then a workaround is found.

Are you sure you are using the latest version of BG2EE? As I said earlier, no problems on my site so far.

If you are modding your game make sure to use the latest 64 bit version of weidu and weinstall. I installed SCS, cdtweaks and other mods without problem.

JuliusBorisov
    no mods other than Coran one day npc. i have no clue as to how or desire to mod, too old
    What is the latest bg2ee version?
  • bobbd2000bobbd2000 Member Posts: 9
    Don't know if anyone's still looking at this, but I suggest giving the BG2EE app Full Disk Access in the Privacy tab of Security & Privacy System Preferences. When I recently upgraded to Catalina and launched BGEE, it did not find my settings or save games. Which was a real pain because I was near the end. In looking at Catalina issues, I noticed that Catalina is very picky about allowing apps access to data, vene if the app created the data previously. Once I granted BGEE Full Disk Access, it found everything and I'm good to go. Maybe the same thing will help BG2EE and other games.
    JuliusBorisovstu-k
  • bobbd2000bobbd2000 Member Posts: 9
    Something else I noticed in my research was that apps that aren't "signed" may not launch, even if they launched before. The solution is to locate the app/game, right click, and choose Open. That should give you the option of launching. Not that this is a new thing, but I think it's the first time the previously authorized apps won't launch.
    JuliusBorisov
    can't get the "open" thing to work on the launcher. any other files to try?
  • DropkickerDropkicker Member Posts: 3
    When it says incompatible, go to System Preferences and click on Security & Privacy icon. Then under General tab, there should be a warning with Open button. Then it will prompt but choose 'Open Anyway' will work.

That's my case on other unsigned games in 64bit.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ResetRPGResetRPG Member Posts: 2
    Well that's depressing, considering I'm picking up a Macbook for college in a few months. Guess I'll just keep playing it on Xbox One.
    ResetRPG wrote: »
    Well that's depressing, considering I'm picking up a Macbook for college in a few months. Guess I'll just keep playing it on Xbox One.

Sorry, what is depressing? The games work on Catalina, they are 64bit.
    It doesn't sat incompatible. It just has a circle with a line thru it over the Icon???
    yes circle with a line thru it