Skip to content

WeiDU Issue – Installing Mods on OS X

QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
edited July 2018 in General Modding
Alright so chances are, I'm just an idiot about this modding thing.

But I've literally never gotten any mods to work because WeiDU refuses to work for me. Every time I've gotten curious over the years and tried BG1 NPC mod or some other little thing, nothing doing.

I'm on Mac OS X. Here is the error message I'm currently getting, attempting to install BG1 NPC project:

[/Applications/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00777/setup-bg1npc] WeiDU version 24200

Please run this program in your Infinity Engine game directory.

FATAL ERROR: Failure("Not a game directory")

Press ENTER to exit.

This IS my game directory, it DOES have chitin.key in it, so I'm really confused. A little help would be great because chances are I'm just stupid and missing something. Thanks.
Post edited by Quartz on

Comments

• jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    One stupid question: what is "00777" standing for, is this a name you gave yourself or just a number I never saw because I'm on Windows?

And tagging @AstroBryGuy because it's about BG1NPC and I think he knows about installing on OSX, too.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited July 2018
    Pretty sure it's a number you've never seen because you're on Windows. I've never understood that 00777 nonsense, lol.

Thanks for tagging. :)
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    edited July 2018
    jastey said:

One stupid question: what is "00777" standing for, is this a name you gave yourself or just a number I never saw because I'm on Windows?

If you use the Beamdog installer all of the games get installed into a main Beamdog folder, and each game gets its own numerical folder inside that. E.g. my retail BGEE is installed to d:\games\beamdog\00766; BG2EE is in d:\games\beamdog\00783, etc.

One thing that might be affecting this--most mods packaged for OSX should have a .command file. Tweaks Anthology, for example, ships with setup-cdtweaks.command and it's this file, not setup-cdtweaks, that you should use to install. One of the things it does, IIRC, is to properly set the install path as the current folder.

Since I don't have an OS X box, that's about as much as I can help.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    CamDawg said:

E.g. my retail BGEE is installed to d:\games\beamdog\00766; BG2EE is in d:\games\beamdog\00783, etc.

Those numbers I know. :) But this is offtopic.

Oh, jeez.

This is why I was so hesitant to post such a thread.

It really was that simple of a fix. Thanks everyone and thanks for not telling me I'm stupid. :D
    I am most definitly sure you will not be the only person with this question.
    If you maybe change the topic's title to "how to install mods on OS X" or somesuch there will be many other players silently praising your name because they can read the solution here and don't have to post themselves. :)
    edited December 2019
    Confession: Even after all this time, I still can't manage to install mods. WeiDU makes no sense to me. I follow @AstroBryGuy 's thread The Hitchhiker's Guide to Installing Mods on OSX through step 3, then step 4 says "install mods" and I don't see any information on how to do it. @subtledoctor 's launcher looks like an awesome idea made precisely for dumbasses like me, but it makes no sense to me either because I can't seem to install WeiDU to begin with, or get my computer to recognize that his program is a program. I've been Googling and searching these forums to find a tutorial in painstaking detail, to no avail. I even tried watching subtledoctor's video showing the computer installing mods, but it loses me quickly since WeiDU actually works on that computer unlike mine. People describe this process in such simple detail but it's not simple for me. I try about once a year to install Keeping Yoshimo, get frustrated and quit trying. Then I remember how much I love Yoshimo and try to install it again, rinse and repeat.

Here's what I know:
    • I'm supposed to install WeiDU, so I download WeiDU for Mac OS X.
    • I extract the folder; at this point, all tutorials say to open the Weidu program file.
    • There is no WeiDU program file in the immediate contents of the folder WeiDU-Mac. When I search the contents, I find a weidu and weinstall folder in WeiDU-Mac/bin/amd64 and WeiDU-Mac/bin/x86.
    • This is as far as I ever get. People also talk about putting the contents of 7c-yoshi-master into my 00783 folder. ...OK?
    • When I attempt to run either of these weidu or weinstall terminal commands, I get a list of commands I guess. I don't know how to do anything in this environment and there's no guide on how to do anything in this environment.
    • When I attempt to use @subtledoctor 's program, my computer says it's a read-only file and I can't open it in Terminal or do anything with the program.

If anyone wants to take the time out of their day to describe in painstaking detail--I will repeat, absolutely painstaking, do not skip a single detail--how to install just. one. mod. on Mac OS X, I would be very grateful. If nobody wants to do that, I fully understand. Thank you.

(EDIT: I just remembered, I actually have installed a mod before. It was Dungeon-Be-Gone, back when I played on a Windows computer. IDK, the whole process just seems impossible on OS X.)
    Post edited by Quartz on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited December 2019
    @subtledoctor You are a wonderful human being. I'm at work now, and I'll be busy with a story for the next... 23 hours or so, and then when I get time I will give this another go. Thank you!
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited December 2019
    (If this is some new permissions issue because you're running Catalina, then Heaven help you. Apple keeps locking down more and more stuff in their OSes, and I have no idea if Catalina is a problem here - I refuse to upgrade so I can't test.)

The only difference I know is this one – As you can see, it has nothing to do with your launcher....
    Which version of MacOS do you have?
    10.12, Sierra.
    @subtledoctor Does this look like it worked?

3nts67uitksd.png
    @subtledoctor thanks again for your efforts.
    kg0de7b1wdop.png
    I was able to select 7c-yoshi from the drop-down menu before and it gave me that message. Now I tried as you said--replacing the weidu file. Now I can once again pick 7c-yoshi from the menu, and it looks like it gives me a *better* message, but still nothing to do other than exit. I made sure the permissions are good--I am running the default, admin account and everything is read-and-write, but I went ahead and checked the folder permissions just in case. Still nothing. I'm stumped.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.