Skip to content

(Spoiler)Those Two Guys That Poison You in the City of Baldur's Gate

CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
edited December 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Is there a downside to killing them before they talk to you and tell you the party has been poisoned?
Post edited by Cuv on

Comments

• ZaorZaor Member Posts: 69
    Missing out on trivial gear, experience, and most importantly the chance to con your way into a tome of wisdom to keep.
    Quartz
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Ah, alrighty. If I could still get the Tome I'd just kill them and skip a bunch of shlepping around, hahaha.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, basically you'd be missing out the Eagle Bow (best short bow) and a Wisdom Tome. Also a Dagger +2 but that isn't a huge deal. And around 20k EXP.
    Ouch, that's kinda significant. Thanks guys!
    Quartz
    Well then again, if you just killed them I'm fairly certain you would get the Eagle Bow and Dagger +2. But yes, you would miss out on the Wisdom Tome and the 20k EXP. It's an annoying-ass quest, which is probably why it's so rewarding. :P
    Haha, yeah. Annoying enough I wanted to make sure I could skip it, but you miss out on a lot XD
    Quartz
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    I always kill them, you can still get the tome. Just pickpocket it.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    Thing is, you can pickpocket them every time you see them (or could in BG1 anyway) and also kill Lothander if you're quick enough the last time you see him, gaining boots of speed and other stuff. The tome isn't from them though, but the Tymora priest (yes, you can pickpocket him too, but only once).
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @CaptRory in fact, is exactly the contraty, if you kill them in the northeast district, before they say you're poisoned (in the first meet), you will lose the quest XP for sure, but not only you will get all the items from Maerk, but you will get another boots of speed and some other ubber nice stuff from the other guy.

The biggest dire consequence? You lost the chance of get one of the Tomes of Understand of the game (permanently +1 wisdom)
    @kamuizin - no you don't... as I said, you can pickpocket the tome from Chanthalas Ulbright at any time regardless of the quest status. Not sure how you get more than one boots of speed from Lothander though, unless it's an exploit from the original game where he wasn't wearing the boots or something (worn items can't be pickpocketed).
    Pantalion
    I made a solo play that ended BG 3 days ago, i killed Lothander and he dropped a boot of speed along other items, when i say another, is because you have now 2, one from cloakwood mines and one from him.
    Aha~ So I just need to pickpocket the Cleric at the Tymora Temple...
    Isair
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    Depending on when you kill them it is critically important. I can't remember their names, but if you kill the one that ultimately helps you while he's in that carnival-type area, but before he talks to you, it will cause you to eventually die, with no way to stop it. I did that one game. I stopped him from getting close enough to talk to me by casting web, and then slowly shot him to death with arrows.

I thought the situation was resolved until I began experiencing the effects of the poison. Since he was dead there was nothing I could do to save myself. After numerous attempts to do so, I gave up on resolving by normal means and used the MoveToArea cheat to cut down on travel time so that I could still go everywhere I needed to go in the proper order and thereby complete the main plot of the game before the poison could kill me. It took careful planning, but I was able to kill Sarevok and thus save myself from the potion a couple game hours before it would have killed me.
    GrandeCcolonel_burger
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    ARKdeEREH said:

Depending on when you kill them it is critically important. I can't remember their names, but if you kill the one that ultimately helps you while he's in that carnival-type area, but before he talks to you, it will cause you to eventually die, with no way to stop it. I did that one game. I stopped him from getting close enough to talk to me by casting web, and then slowly shot him to death with arrows.

I thought the situation was resolved until I began experiencing the effects of the poison. Since he was dead there was nothing I could do to save myself. After numerous attempts to do so, I gave up on resolving by normal means and used the MoveToArea cheat to cut down on travel time so that I could still go everywhere I needed to go in the proper order and thereby complete the main plot of the game before the poison could kill me. It took careful planning, but I was able to kill Sarevok and thus save myself from the poison a couple game hours before it would have killed me.

@ARKdeEREH Lol really? Weird, I thought that clearing the chapter got rid of the poison. I have a save where I fudged up the quest, got the "you threw up yer foods" message twice, and then it stopped after I hit Chapter Six.
  • awin123awin123 Member Posts: 55
    You just miss out of the quest experience as far as I remember.

Those saying you miss the +Wis tome you don't. I've only completed this quest once and I've gotten all 3 Wisdom tomes in every single clear of BG that I've done. The locations of the tomes will be listed at the bottom of the post for spoiler prevention.

I find the quest is very annoying and not worth the effort unless you removed the XP cap. The shortbow is largely useless because the crossbow of speed is better for thieves and the longbows are better for warrior types so you can just skip the encounter all together but it's always fun to slaughter them for being so arrogant.

SPOILERS

1 Tome is in the Candlekeep Catacombs
    1 Tome is in Durlags Tower
    1 Tome can be pickpocketed from a cleric inside the Temple of Tymora in Baldurs Gate
    GrandeC
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    whoa whoa whoa, another pair of boots of speed? what version of bg are you playing? i just checked sword coast keeper, and he has the version that drizzt wears, which arent droppable/pick pocketable in vanilla bg1 ( which is the version i have) so what version do you guys have that make it so he drops them?
    BGT here, so just 2 boots, one in the cloakwood mine entrance, in the assassination atempt, and another with the poison quest guy (the one that you don't usually don't kill).
    edited October 2012
    I can't wait for us all to be playing the same game ... -_-;
    SCARY_WIZARD
    Lothander does have a normal boots of speed in BG1. However, IIRC due to a typo they're B00T01 instead of BOOT01 or something like that. You need the BG1 Fixpack or possibly Dudleyfix for the vanilla game.

http://sasha-altherin.webs.com/baldursgatefixpack.htm
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    ah thats what i thought, because i've killed him before and he dropped no booties
    Hopefully just the regular BG1 fix pack. That one is cool; I'm not a big fan of Dudleyfix.

"Lawl, let's make the BG1BGII NPCs have consistent ability scores between games!!"
    Oops now Minsc is the best Fighter hands down, Jaheira has zero disadvantages, and Viconia is by far the best Cleric no argument.
    And other such heinous "fixes" that are preferences varying between players, not "fixes."
    Sorry to vent that.
    SCARY_WIZARDBlucher
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I'm pretty darn sure Marek has both Eagle's bow and the Dagger +2 if you kill them through tricks like the Wand of Summoning, before they even talk to you, as well as his special antidote. But there's no reason to do that. Optimal way to finish the quest is :

Talk to them
    Go the the central area of BG and talk to Lothander
    Go to the Temple of Umberlee
    Talk to the priestess twice in a row, trick her and kill everyone and loot the geas removal scroll as well as the kid's body.
    Go talk to Lothander
    Go to Blushing Mermaid and Kill Marek for 10000 XP + his own loot and XP
    Go to the temple of Tymora, steal the book or buy it for 500 GP
    Go north of the temple and simply complete the quest related to the kid's body for the shield of stars thingy

Tharr you go, no loss, all gains! :3

*Larze was left alone, poor dear confused Larze :'(
    QuartzSCARY_WIZARDCaptRory
    I ended up doing the quest, turning it in, then killing Lothandar before he vanished at the end. Command is GREAT for stopping a guy til you can bring some better, longer casting hold spell to bear assuming he doesn't just die at that point.
    elminster
  • LocksleyLocksley Member Posts: 22
    edited December 2012
    I finished the quest, but I must be missing something.

I procured Lothander's half of the antidote, then went back to the Blushing Mermaid.

I talk to Marek, he attacks, I kill - but I get NO experience OR antidote.

What is happening here? If someone could please shed some light on this that would be great.

(And no, the antidote is not on Marek's corpse after slaying him. I have checked it over and over.)
    edited December 2012
    Okay...

WARNING: Do NOT complete the Tremain's Son quest before completing the Marek & Lothander quest. If you do, there is a good chance you WON'T be able to complete the Marek quest and find the antidote on Marek's body when you slay him after talking to him.

Originally, I had completed the Tremain's Son quest first, and the antidote was nowhere to be found. I tried it again completing the Marek quest first, and the antidote was there.

I am not entirely sure if this is a glitch with quest ordering, or if it was an isolate incident with my game specifically. At any rate, this is why you should always save a separate 'backup' game file periodically as you play... one that you can go back to in case you made an unforeseen error. I've learned that the hard way playing BG in the past.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    I killed lothander after curing his geas (I'm a Bastard) and he dropped boots of speed.

Very happy surprise, got 4k xp too!

This was with vanilla bg:ee.
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    Hmm, I did the Tremain quest first as well, no problems.
    edited December 2012

Hmm, I did the Tremain quest first as well, no problems.

Ah, so that answers that. Must have been an aberration unique to my game.

Hate it when that happens. I am just glad I had a recent backup save file to fall back on. :)

I usually make a save bfore even getting threatened the first time just in case it ALL GOES HORRIBLY WRONG! hehehe