Skip to content

Broken spells

I just bought and downloaded this. Now, in the original game, the spell Flame Blade would allow me to damage Clay Golems which are only harmed by fire. Yet, in Enhanced Edition, Flame Blade was completely ineffective. I couldn't injure it at all.

Also, in the original game, when casting Improved Invisibility in the Keep to sneak past the Umber Hulks, they were unable to detect me. In Enhanced Edition, Improved Invisibility was ineffective. The Umber Hulks had no trouble seeing me. It also failed to hide me against trolls.

These two spells appear to be completely broken.

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Clay Golems are not vulnerable to fire. They require magic blunt weapons to harm. Since Flame Blade is classified as a non-magic weapon, you'll get the "Weapon Ineffective" message - but even if it were a magic weapon, the golem would be immune to the slashing damage of the blade, and then its 100% magic resistance would negate the added fire damage.
    Incidentally, this means that some trolls can't be killed with Flame Blade. At least one variety (Spirit, Spectral, or maybe both) requires magic weapons to hit.

On the effectiveness of (Improved) Invisibility for sneaking - do you have AI on, with the sneaking character set to automatically attack? Attacking breaks invisibility and allows the enemies to strike back. In the case of Improved Invisibility, you're still partly invisible. That makes you untargetable by spells, gives you an AC bonus, and still has your character's sprite look invisible/stealthed.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    edited December 2019
    jmerry wrote: »
    Clay Golems are not vulnerable to fire. They require magic blunt weapons to harm. Since Flame Blade is classified as a non-magic weapon, you'll get the "Weapon Ineffective" message - but even if it were a magic weapon, the golem would be immune to the slashing damage of the blade, and then its 100% magic resistance would negate the added fire damage.
    Incidentally, this means that some trolls can't be killed with Flame Blade. At least one variety (Spirit, Spectral, or maybe both) requires magic weapons to hit.

They do have 100% magic resistance, so won't be affected by damage from spells, like fireball. However, in most cases bonus elemental damage from weapons is not stopped by magic resistance (though it depends on just how the bonus is coded and some bonuses are stopped - like from the Firetooth crossbow for instance).

Clay golems are not immune to fire as such, so most fire weapon bonuses will hurt them. Against the Burning Earth sword for instance, they will take 1 fire damage from each hit, although they're not affected by the basic slashing damage. While I have killed the odd golem like that, it's much easier just to keep a spare magical blunt weapon in your bag :p.