Skip to content

Updated string, or mod?

HenaniganHenanigan Member Posts: 38
Hello, I'm new around here. I have a question. I've seen in one or two places that the 'suicidal' nobleman near Candlekeep may hint that there is a diamond nearby. Someone quoted his reply in another thread:
You're right, of course. What a fool I was to think this would solve anything... you see, I lost the diamond out of the setting of my favorite ring while walking on the path in this lovely pastoral area sometime past, and was unable to find it no matter how carefully I retraced my steps; it is probably adorning some undeserving bird's nest or rogue's purse, and this has put a damper on my will to live, though I do have other rings.
In my game, though, all he has to say is this:
"You're right, of course. What a fool I was to think this would solve anything. It didn't solve anything the last time I stood here and was stopped, nor the time before that."
(In both versions, he goes on to say: "I really should develop a better method of dealing with adversity. It's such a long walk as well. Hmm, perhaps if I had mumsey construct a cliff closer to town. Ah well, thanks for your concern. Ta.")
Now I'm curious: was this line changed in the game? Or is there a mod that adds the hint?
Thanks!
Post edited by Henanigan on

Comments

• HenaniganHenanigan Member Posts: 38
    Bumping this up, in case someone comes along who'd recognize this tiny detail. I searched for a 'diamond' in a 'pastoral area' in my EE game and on my old 1998 CDs using NI. No luck. The string can be seen in this screenshot and in this video (about 6:40 in), among other places. This post seems to have the right nobleman in the right area, but the wrong ring, and I can't find Chase's line in BG1NPC (current version).
    Still curious!
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    In my game the suicidal nobleman doesn't seem to be there. On my last two playthroughs I wandered the cliff edge looking for him and couldn't find him. I don't know whether he has been removed by a mod (I am running the NPC project) or whether he is no longer in the game.
    edited January 2020
    He's still there in my game (latest version). Might be a bit difficult to see though. I'm using the NPC Project.
    Post edited by Henanigan on
    Found it. Apparently it's BGT that tweaks this string, as part of the TotSC TLK transfer (the string's not in TotSC, at least not in the standalone version that I have).