Skip to content

Is there any way of making a spell bypass SR AND Saving Throws only if friendlies are targeted?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
edited January 2020 in General Modding
I'm thinking that it would be massively cool if you could make Otiluke's Resilient Sphere work as a way to protect teammates about to die. Is this feasible?
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited January 2020
    I'm thinking that it would be massively cool if you could make Otiluke's Resilient Sphere work as a way to protect teammates about to die. Is this feasible?

This is totally doable. In fact, I have a spell that does something like this. I actually created it in a random thread somewhere a few years ago but I'll also be releasing it in an upcoming mod...let's see...gha, can't find it. Okay, the spell is here

It's a matter of tracking down the specific resources of the spell...I can put something together tomorrow or so.

Edit: the credit for that spell really belongs to kjeron as he is the one that described how to put it together. Not sure why I'm crediting SD (don't get me wrong--he deserves a lot of credit. Just not for that particular spell)

Also, it'd be a fairly simple matter to modify ORS. I'll put together a short two component mini mod to modify the spell.

I'm not sure offhand what the spell looks like so I can't describe how you would do it yourself atm
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    [Deleted User]Grammarsalad
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    you can cast maze on your team mates so they won't take further damage, only thing is though, they will miss out on XP
    [Deleted User]
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    I don't need credit - the base game already works this way regarding ORS in BGEE, just not in BG2EE.
  • (I’m pretty sure it’s a simple matter of using two different subspells.)

That's a clever way to solve it. I'm not sure how to do it in Nearinfinity but I'll take a look at Spell Immunity, which should give me a clue on how to.

Also, what does ORS stand for?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    edited January 2020
    I think I went brain dead for a second when I made this thread and I forgot to mention the other, essential bit, which is, is there a way for a spell to bypass SAVING THROWS, ONLY WHEN friendlies are targeted? I suspect this is impossible, but the two subspells idea that @subtledoctor mentioned should work regardless.

I guess it still leaves the issue of being able to use the one that bypasses all resistances and has no saving throw allowed on enemies, but I wouldn't cheat by using it on enemies, so it's fine.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Also, what does ORS stand for?
    (O)tiluke's (R)esilient (S)phere
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited January 2020
    As mentioned by @subtledoctor Spell Revisions version of Otiluke's Resilient Sphere works correctly, bypassing MR/no save allowed for friendly targets, normal save/MR versus hostile targets.

For my no reload runs I often have a Contingency: Otiluke's RS on self if Helpless or at extremely low HPs (because in my installs chances are both cases mean I'm CC'ed/disabled and about to die, so might as well make myself invulnerable while disabled until the bad moment passes). Such a contingency would not be useful at all if it got blocked by good saves. With SR's correct mechanics it can often save a no reload run (not 100% reliable but that's because contingency sometimes kicks in with a delay).

You don't need to install the entire mod; I personally haven't been won over to SR's extensive overhaul of the entire spell system so rather than installing the mod, I simply copied the relevant files into my documents/etc/override folder:

spwi413.spl
    spwi413d.spl
    spwi413c.eff
    spwi413d.eff

The files are not difficult to find; once you extracted SR you'll find them in the /spwi4## folder. That's all you need (assuming you don't have other mods that significantly tweak the spell. In my install SCS changes it slightly I think only for ID purposes of the AI component, no actual changes to the spell itself).

Chances are if you have a tlk file changed by any mods, the spell's description will reference the wrong strings; you may want to edit (using NI) spwi413.spl's string reference to point to the correct string (after backing up your tlk file).
    Post edited by ithildurnew on
    [Deleted User]
  • kjeron wrote: »
    (O)tiluke's (R)esilient (S)phere

I feel dumb.
    You don't need to install the entire mod; I personally haven't been won over to SR's extensive overhaul of the entire spell system so rather than installing the mod, I simply copied the relevant files into my documents/etc/override folder

Good idea, thanks for the tip.
  • Is there a way to make a spell only work if the target is a party member or a blue but friendly npc (like Drizzt in BG2, when he helps you out)?