Skip to content

Nwn on IOS

StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
Beamdog hasn’t said they were going to do it.
It is on the Trello boards.
If they do, it will be years away.

So, my question is: how do you think it can be done?
I have a hard time typing a letter on my iPad. I can’t imagine coding and creating environments.

Downloading modules/haks from nwvault to your device? No chance on iOS.

Does anyone have some ideas? Or know of any game that does something similar? if beamdog can put something together and have similar functions to nwn and on iOS it will be the most unique iOS game out there.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GrimzahnGrimzahn Member Posts: 3
    Any iOS can access the cloud container. Any app can download data to its document folder. There is absolutely no probs working with downloaded files on iOS. The big problem with NWN is its 32 bit stuff it rely on. iOS doesn't support 32 bit anymore and macOS is dropping it too this year.
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    Well android stops supporting 32 bit very soon as well.

Having just the cep hack will take 1 gig of the 5 gig space that apple gives you.
    Forgetting about adding custom modules....

How do you download files from the vault and put them in the cloud? IMHO Their is a need for a downloaded like the steam workshop has, but for iOS.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,350
    Work on converting the 32 bit version to 64 bit will commence once the new renderer is done.

beamdog did the 32 to 64 bit conversion on the iOS versions of BG:ee and BG2:ee. So they know what to do and how to do it.

The new console / all platforms strategy only supports our hope for the work to get done.
    Beamdog can announce 7 months from now nwn is coming to console but it isn’t able to announce an iOS date, month, season, quarter or year.
    That pretty much says everything
    It doesnt say anything. They have to port the game to 64 bit and make the new renderer - then the iOS can be made. That is why we dont have an ETA.

When the 64 bit version and the new renderer is in place we can probe for an ETA. But not before.

My guess is that WoTC have demanded that the console part should be prioritized since Larian where handed the rights for BG3. An even fuller trilogy run is now in sight. Smart move by WoTC for the console part - but not for the projects that needs love elsewhere.
    So they are coming out this December with a non 64 bit, non rendered version for consoles?
    That isn’t how it works
    I didnt say that. I just recited the path ahead of us before we can get what we want. We are in june now, and I guess the new renderer and the 64 bit conversion will come before december.

Beamdog converted the IE games to 64 bit for the iTunes store. So they know how to - I just figured that some external partner/superior set another immediate focus point for first half off this year.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    @JuliusBorisov

Any official statement about a release date?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    They have to port the game to 64 bit and make the new renderer - then the iOS can be made.

Yes. And 64 bit and the new renderer will happen before the game is released on consoles (since the consoles also require that). So - hopefully - the iOS version can be out this year.
    We got a possible year!
    Thank you Julius.

Why did consoles get a specific date and iOS got only a year?
    Does iOS have bigger technical hurdles than consoles?
    Or is it because you have another company doing the console conversion and therefor more resources?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    The console date is probably due to publisher's demands. The iOS version doesn't have an independent publisher.
    Thank you for the reply
  • GrimzahnGrimzahn Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2020
    2019 passed away. Same question in 2020.

Edit:
    64 bit is rejected.
    https://trello.com/c/9c0gsxju

That will be my last visit here. bb
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    @Grimzahn

This was in the patch notes for 1.79: "Both client and server are now 64bit binaries. We do not provide 32bit binaries anymore as of this patch. (The binary directories in the game install are now misnamed; we didn't change this yet but will in a future patch.)"
    Hello! Indeed, 64bit is now in on the PC version and console. However, the new renderer is still not finished.

The iOS version is still in development.
  • jmrjmr Member Posts: 7
    Grimzahn wrote: »
    Edit:
    64 bit is rejected.
    https://trello.com/c/9c0gsxju

That will be my last visit here. bb

How tragic. Let this be a cautionary tale to always check the timestamps.