Skip to content

Ajantis

I have killed Kirinhale and exchanged her hair for Potion of Cloud Giant Strenght with thief from the second level and stupid Ajantis attacked me and I was forced to kill him (on no-reload play). Is this his normal behaviour or added by NPC Project?
He had around 150 000 experience points so his replacement will be woefully behind.
I had for a long time suspiction that he is idot and should have kicked out from the party after his conversation with Coran about laws.

Comments

• jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Ajantis should only attack if the PC enslaves the thief to Kirinhale. If you killed her this would be a bug?

But yes, the BG1NPC Project inserts in-character/ in-class reactions to most NPCs (Coran might vanish with a cook in Cloakwood mines, Edwin might poison Dynaheir in her sleep, good aligned NPCs might attack the PC if he does evil things etc.)
    @velehal What I meant was: please post what exactly you did before Ajantis attacked. Which version of bg1npc are you playing?
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    I have version 24.
    I killed Kirinhale and then gave the lock to the thief and recieved the potion for exchange. And Ajantis said something that it is uterrly evil to enslave the thief and attacked. Stupid paladin. And I play relatively good character (I didn´t attack Sendai, didn´t kill Meilum and even didn´t pick up Helm of Balduran...), have reputation 20 and he did this.
    That is definitely not anticipated behavior. He should only attack if the thief *is* enslaved. I will have a look at this.
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    So it is a bug. Unfortunately I continued to play and don´t have an earlier save than chapter 7 autosave. I will pretend that he has gone crazy. It isn´t inconceivable that person goes crazy when he incessantly fights monsters. It is even the motto of BG.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Isn't the lock of hair what enslaves the thief though? IIRC, its vanilla behaviour for Ajantis to attack if you give the hair to the thief.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    one thing for sure is that this is indeed a mod, because i just tested it and ajantis doesn't care if you give the thief the succubus hair or trap him in the tower
    @sarevok57 It is BG1NPC, I wrote the reaction. :)
    @ThacoBell OP wrote that he killed the succubus, so the thief won't be enslaved.
    @velehal Thank you for this report, it never occurred to me the lock of hair could be used as really well-meant present if Kirinhale is killed first. Will be fixed in the next version.
    @jastey Does the succubus need to be alive for the spell on the hair to work? My understanding was that the hair itself was enchanted by the succubus. The game seems to think so, since the trigger for the thief's enslavement is simply, "give them the hair."
    edited January 2020
    @ThacoBell
    What are you referring to exactly? I had a look at the files and from the dialogues the PC needs to talk to Kirinhale after giving the thief the locket to activate the "I am trapped" dialogue of Riggilo. No talking to Kirinhale - no being trapped dialogue. EDIT: As far as I undestood. If you encountered something else I'd be interested to know it, too.
    Post edited by jastey on
    @jastey Odd, that's not how I remember it working. My recollection might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I remember the thief reacting to being enslaved as soon as he is given the hair, talking to Kirinhale just turns in the quest. Its known to the thief and the pc that he has been enslaved before you tell Kirinhale that you did the deed.
    edited January 2020
    @ThacoBell Not trying to prove you wrong but to understand how the situation works (and what the proper reaction of a paladin would be) : Looking at the game files (BG:EE 2.5) I see the following behavior: if Kirinhale gives the locket to the PC and PC gives it to the Thief without talking to Kirinhale again, then Riggilo's dialogue about being screwed doesn't show up. It only kicks in after the PC spoke again to Kirinhale after that.
    The situation with Ajantis was what happens when the locket is given after the succubus is already dead. So, at least form the way the encounter is coded the thief will not be trapped in this case. EDIT: I did not play itin game but searched in NI for the used variables.
    Whether this makes sense with regard to D&D lore I do not know, but since no other NPC reacts to this situation at all, I think having Ajantis flip when the locket is given to Riggilo while Kirinhale is still alive is sufficient paladinesk reaction.
    @jastey "The situation with Ajantis was what happens when the locket is given after the succubus is already dead. So, at least form the way the encounter is coded the thief will not be trapped in this case."

I don't know. Maybe it was a bug (heaven knows there are enough of em), maybe it was a mod thing, but I've gotten the thief to react when giving him the locket AFTER killing Kirinhale. So I guess its just a matter of deciding if you think its a bug or makes sense for the locket to be enchanted to work regardless of whether Kirinhale is still alive or not.
    edited January 2020
    @ThacoBell Thanks for the heads up! I'll see what player feedback will be (and whether there will be reports about Ajantis not reacting to enslaving the thief. :) ).
    ThacoBell