Dual class help

2»

Comments

• DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,567
    edited January 2020
    Kogo wrote: »
    Grond0 wrote: »
    As a fighter/mage/thief, am I limited to a certain number of spells known? In case so can I remove spells known?

Your intelligence stat determines how many spells of each "spell level" can be known. You can delete known spells from your book if you have already learned the maximum and want to swap a bad spell for a better one.

While that's true, the check is against current intelligence and not your base stat. Therefore you can also take potions of genius or mind focusing to remove any limit on learning spells - and you keep those spells even after your intelligence has dropped again. In practice therefore, having a low intelligence mage need actually only be a minor handicap.

What?! Suddenly those potions are seen in a new light :) thanks!

Those potions are quite versatile, honestly. They're good for both going over your spell limit, as well as upping the odds on scribing scrolls. Additionally they can jack up your lore score on your high lore character (even higher with potions of insight). Essentially paying for themselves if you were going to use vendors to identify. They're a useful post-dungeon buy, where you can scribe everything and identify everything at once.
    Kogo
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571

I'm not sure I understand about proficiency.. Won't I be putting 3rd - 5th straight away in bows? Or is it bound to that higher levels? I put 2 each in sw and bows now. How many points will I be getting total?

Sorry, I didn't see your earlier post:

As a fighter multiclass, you are limited to maximum 2 proficiency points in your weapons. Only single (or dual) class fighters can go up to 5 proficiency points.

In the case of the FMT, it is not that much of a problem, since you don't get many proficiency points anyway, so the fact that you're limited to 2 pips lets you diversify a bit at least.

Anyway, have fun, don't put too much thought into your character build, since you're playing with a party, your companions can cover the areas where you would be lacking anyway.
    Kogo
  • KogoKogo Member Posts: 33
    monico wrote: »

I'm not sure I understand about proficiency.. Won't I be putting 3rd - 5th straight away in bows? Or is it bound to that higher levels? I put 2 each in sw and bows now. How many points will I be getting total?

As a fighter multiclass, you are limited to maximum 2 proficiency points in your weapons. Only single (or dual) class fighters can go up to 5 proficiency points.

In the case of the FMT, it is not that much of a problem, since you don't get many proficiency points anyway, so the fact that you're limited to 2 pips lets you diversify a bit at least.

Anyway, have fun, don't put too much thought into your character build, since you're playing with a party, your companions can cover the areas where you would be lacking anyway.

Ah, damn! Oh well :wink:

So im already at max with Short sword and longbows. Perhaps I should invest leftover Points in... Crossbows? What do you Think ^^
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited February 2020
    At the risk of being slightly controversial, being limited to 2 pips does matter but isn't earth-shattering unless you play with the "true grandmastery" cheat. Then again, most people who use the true grandmastery cheat also play with the "let multiclass fighters put 5 stars in any weapon" cheat so they wouldn't be worried about this anyway.
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    I mean, if I understand correctly the EEs have turned the "grandmastery cheat" into the default setting, so unless he's playing the originals it's safe to assume he has something better than +1 damage going for him.

That being said, GM vs Specialization matters for a short time in SoA where THAC0 matters and when damage is hard to come by, and again in ToB where it essentially turns into +30 damage per round with a GWW.

To actually answer the question, I would go for some sort of blunt weapon for the next proficiency points: multiple enemies are immune or highly resistant to pierce/missile damage, while there's nothing that really resists blunt weapon damage. Flails or Maces are the generally liked blunt weapons since there are really good ones quickly available in BG2.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Proficiency bonuses are set out here. In original BG2 (which was used as the base game engine for the EE games), GM gave benefits of 2 to both THAC0 and damage over weapon specialization - but no APR benefit (damage was +3 in vanilla BG1).

In the EE the damage benefit has increased to 3 and there is now a 0.5 APR benefit.

The True Grandmastery tweak gave the same damage benefit, but an additional 1.0 APR benefit - so the EE position is a compromise towards that.
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    edited February 2020
    monico wrote: »

Ah, damn! Oh well :wink:

So im already at max with Short sword and longbows. Perhaps I should invest leftover Points in... Crossbows? What do you Think ^^

@Kogo : don't bother with other ranged weapons, you're set with your bow.

I'd suggest specializing in a 2nd melee weapon and afterwards dual-wielding. Or the other way around: put 2 proficiency points (at lvl3 and 6) in two-weapon-fighting (the 3rd proficiency point doesn't bring much and can be added later in BG2), so that you can already dual-wield your shortswords in BG1 & SoD.
    And then in BG2 you'll specialize in a second melee weapon (next pips at lvl9 = 750.000 XP total as a FMT; then lvl12 = 3 million XP total, which should be end of BG2 if playing with a party).

For your second weapon, choose a blunt weapon maybe, for those enemies immune to piercing damage from your short sword & arrows, although in those relatively rare cases (golems, jellies, a few others) you can wield a blunt weapon even without proficiencies, your fighter thac0 will be enough to take care of their puny AC.

Another option is scimitars, dual-wielding in BG2 a specific shortsword (found in Planar Prison) and a specific scimitar (found in Druid Grove) will give you 2 bonus APR to your mainhand, for a total of 5 APR (4 mainhand, 1 offhand) with your proficiencies & lvl7 bonus ApR.

That's what I did with my solo no-reload FMT, it was very powerful, especially once you hit lvl12 as a mage (2.250.000 XP total) and get access to Improved Haste for 10 attacks per round ! A real killing machine !