Skip to content

Favorite Order of the Stick Cartoons

BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
edited October 2012 in Off-Topic
Sorry, I couldn't find the old thread discussing this. I just had to share this cartoon. It lampoons the Vancian spellcasting system we all deal with in D&D, Baldur's Gate, and Neverwinter Nights perfectly.

sandmanCCLManveruFredjoBrudeWonderviceMoomintrollDeltaslayerAnduingenie

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    They don't have enough words.
    I like the one with all the words.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @ajwx, huh? Pardon my obtuseness, but I see a witty comment there, that just zinged completely over my head. Please explain what you mean.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    haha, it's not that witty. I was just referring to the common criticism of many webcomics that they involve far too much reading for what is supposed to be a largely visual medium.
    @ajwz, ever heard of a "graphic novel"? All serious (and seriously comedic) comics nowadays have invested everything in that form of storytelling, for example, DC and Marvel.

And Rich Burlew. As far as I'm concerned, the guy's a genius.
  • ManveruManveru Member Posts: 75
    Love OOTS, following it almost since its start, though I'm losing track a bit of what exactly happens lately.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    There are a whole line of favorite comics, but most of them involve Xykon. He's such a standard, one dimensional villain at first, only caring about brute force, torturing for shits and giggles, but over the course of the story he turns into a truly terrifying villain.
    Still one with the attention span of a puppy on coke, but willing to go through extreme lengths to terrorise and dominate those around him, often with more intelligence than he lets people think.

I don't have any particular favorite comics to link, but I'll list my favorite arcs as the Siege of Azure City, Vaarsuvius' power trip and the stay at Tarquin's palace (and all the casual evil they run into there).
    Sadly, it updates about once a century, even slower now that the writer messed up his drawing hand.

And alright, one favorite comic;
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0037.html
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Warning NSFW- Not safe for anywhere... Not Order of the stick...

http://www.oglaf.com/cumsprite/
    DrugarMoomintrollDeltaslayer
    No 'Like' button is strong enough for Oglaf.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Yes, that first arc is... amusing.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I didn't know anything about OOTS until here. Found new fave this am: [Paladin Teevo LOL!]
    BelgarathMTH
    edited October 2012
    @reedmilfam, your image didn't take. It looks like you tried to direct an img src command to the comic website, which doesn't work. To get mine to post, I had to save the comic to my computer desktop, then upload it to Photobucket, and then img src link to the Photobucket url.

Alternatively, you could just post the direct link, but the image won't show up in the forum that way.
    Or just link to the comic page.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    I think it is against RIch Burlew's copyright to do this. Links are ok, though.
    Just telling you guys.
    @reedmilfam @belgarathmth
    I just img-src'd it, so I'm not sure. Works on my computer, fine.
    @reedmilfam, your "image" is only showing up with a red x on my computer, so I can't see what you wanted to be there. It could be Norton Anti-Virus doing the deed, I don't know.

Regardless, if you could please just post a direct link to Rich Burlew's site, I would be able to enjoy the cartoon you trying to share.
    edited October 2012
    @belgarthmth Order of the Stick # 415 is the one I found funny.
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    I love pretty much all of them. Who's your favorite character and why? (Original group, the Linear Guild, Villain, bit player...doesn't matter) Elan is such a dope, but he cracks me up. He tries so hard to do the right thing and be useful, and it always goes terribly wrong. He's actually grown up a bit, too, I think. Haley and Belkar make me happy. I have freakish affection for The Monster in the Darkness, too. Supposedly, we're supposed to know what kind of beastie he is, if we're clever, but I'm not that smart.
    edited October 2012
    I like Varsuvius and the dwarf cleric, probably because I always play casters, so I relate to their jokes the most closely. Related to the cleric, there are some really good jokes involving Thor, who is actually a supporting character in the strip.

@Wondervice, I love your cleric-battle strip. That's a good one!
  • WonderviceWondervice Member Posts: 56
    My favorite is Tarquin, the Magnificent Bastard. Also like Thog, I think he is the funniest character in the strip - I love the randomness of his jokes.
    From the heroes side my favorite is Elan, I like his goofiness, and his character growth at the same time. Belkar is also getting interesting.
    From the support cast, I really enjoyed the scenes with O-Chul and the MitD.
    edited October 2012
    I'm only up to about strip number 400 in my reading, so I haven't seen any growth from Elan yet - he's still an "ineffective, spoony, bard" to the core. I just got to the beginning of the story line where his brother Nale has replaced him and sent him to prison. I'd love to see an effective bard anywhere in fiction, serious or comedic, because I am a musician in real life, and I believe in the class concept of "magic through music", and "your power is in your friends, but if you absolutely have to fight alone, you can still kick butt. Yeah. (Sings "bum-bum-bum-PAH", i.e. Beethoven's Fifth.)"

Xykon's got to be the funniest villain, ever. A funny, deadpan, "straight-man" lich? What more could you want for hilarity? I kind of hear his voice and lines as played by somebody like Mel Brooks.
    Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    Thog! Yes! He's got some of the best sight gags in the strip. I'm letting the stockpile of new strips grow before I read any more. I'm on #859. When the party splits up, all hell breaks loose. My favorite early strip is the one where Elan gets it in his head that the less he wears, the less visible he is to enemies, so he goes streaking through the next couple panels shouting, "Woo! I'm invisible!!" Belkar and Vaarsuvius also have interesting arcs at the moment.
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    Haley Starshine and Belkar Bitterleaf are my two favourite OOTS party members. I'm particularly fond of Haley's favourite phrase after her extensive cryptogramming speech. That "Sneak Attack. Bitch!" line still makes me laugh every time.
    As for bit players, has to be the Oracle for me. Pure genius.