Skip to content

“Best” builds for HOTU companions

DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
edited February 2020 in Official Campaigns
I’m interested in how to get the best out of the companions, particularly Deekin, Nathyrra and Valen, in terms of levelling. Of these, especially Nathyrra because she appears to have three classes to progress in, but:

* when I last used Nathyrra I think I couldn’t give her rogue levels?
* When I levelled her up in Wizard, her intelligence didn't increase, which made it pointless.

However this was a very long time ago...and things might have changed with the updates.
I know Aribeth can only level up in one class, dependent on your dialogue choices.
Sharwyn and Tomi both have two classes, but we don’t get to use them for long unfortunately....
Deekin I always keep as a straight bard, but I could be using him wrongly.

I’d really appreciate your feedback, especially in Nathyrra: how is she is best used, and in what classes/levels? Thanks

Comments

• ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I usually bring Nathyrra and Valen (replaced with Aribeth later, but Valen is a VERY solid companion) in my party, with myself as a pure Wizard. I largely use Valen/Aribeth as my primary melee bruiser/tank, and Nathyrra is largely there to support with sneak attacks/death attacks. As a triple-class character, Nathyrra badly lags behind in the two secondary roles of spellcaster and rogue; I usually just have my Pixie familiar deal with traps/scouting while invisible, but I do instruct Nathyrra to buff my familiar with spells like Mage Armor and Stoneskin to make the most of her meager spells. I also make Nathyrra dual-wield to get the most mileage out of her sneak attacks; with some heavily enchanted weapons from the smith in Lith Myatar and some Strength-boosting items, she can deal out a scary amount of damage against a foe vulnerable to critical hits.

I've never really used Deekin much, but depending on how you want to use him, making him stay as a pure Bard is perfectly fine. Giving him some levels in RDD will help boost his AC and resistances, which can be helpful in keeping him alive in a fight, and from a RP perspective, I think Deekin WANTS to become a RDD, so why not indulge him? ;)
    Dharius
  • CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
    If your playing as a Caster than some Tanky support is ideal, I personally like Deekin but last time I played my Rod of Resurrection got some use.

Nathyrra I find is slow to react but with more spells she has more means to protect herself, if your worried about her INT than you could give her the +6 Helm of Intellect which is found along the Chapter 1 main quest, give her 2 good light weapons and she'll contribute.

All the companion's need full party control so we can LVL them ourselves.
    Dharius
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I much prefer Deekin’s skills as a bard because of the range of spells he can use, especially the healing ones. Maybe one level in RDD won’t hurt...

As for Nathy I’ll see if I can maximise rogue levels, and minimise Wizard levels (my main character is a necromancer). I hope so :)
    Cerabelus
    edited February 2020
    I love the Necromancer that's what I play as, only one down side for me...no Premonition spell ?, oh well I can live without it.

I'll just have to memorise more Horrid Wilting ?.
    Dharius
    edited February 2020
    Yep, Horrid Wilting and Finger of Death. And a few Ice Storms here and there. Works every time :)
    Cerabelus
    I use to combined Evocation and Necromancy but I took a liking to Mestil's Acid Breath so now I do Conjuration and Necromancy, in NWN 2 there are a few extra offensive Conjuration spells so it works better there, the 5th lvl Arc Lighting spell in NWN 2 is pretty good.

Best Part of Icestorm is it doesn't allow for a saving throw, anyone can use it ?.
    Dharius
    edited February 2020
    Mestil’s Breath is another of my favourites, as well as his Acid Blast Sheath, and Isaac’s Missile Storm. Death armour is a nice backup but is a little too short lived. Oh, and I use Stoneskin with these of course.
    Post edited by Dharius on
    Cerabelus
    Extended Metamagic feat helps with those low duration spells, in NWN 2 you can get Permanent Spell feat and upcast Death Armor to last until dispelled or you rest :) .
    Dharius
    edited February 2020
    Ah, I did not know that...sounds like a good idea. When I can I’ll get that feat. Thanks!

I also like the Robe of Vecna which is available early on and gives Spell Penetration on everything. Very useful piece of kit that, and it looks very necromancerish too.
    Post edited by Dharius on
    Extended Spells take up one slot higher such as 2nd LVL Death Armor memorised as 3rd LVL extended lasting twice the duration.

It works on many spells but it's best used on low duration one's, spells like Mage Armor that last 1 hour per LVL are waisted as they last more than long enough already, now spells that only last 6 seconds per LVL that's useful.
    Dharius