Skip to content

Baldur's Gate 3 - Leaked screenshots - "SPOILERS" ahead

Comments

• AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    I posted this in a chat on the same:

I am not going to read too much into this, but I find it interesting that all PC dialogue is presented as a later retelling of what the PC decided to do. I think I prefer old BG way of seeing exactly what the player is saying and using present tense but I do not feel strongly about it.

With the interface you can safely say that they are taking zero inspiration from classic BG, but instead stick closely with what they used for D:OS.

I really like the bottom shot with the arch aesthetically. Not a fan of the reverse grip on that sword though.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    It looks beautiful. I hope the mini map is optional.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Judging purely from the visuals and eye candies: these screenshots are pretty much on point to what I'd imagine a hypothetical NwN3 would look like.

Minus the TB combat bit, that is.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    edited February 2020
    Visual quality is great.

Not a fan of the past tense dialogue choices at all. It takes the player out of the moment. Everything has happened already and the protagonist is just recounting the story for an unknown listener. It's less immersive. I don't want to tell the story, I want to live the story.

Could there be both turn based and real time combat? In one screenshot it says "turn based" on top and in another "in combat".
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,059
    I am actually a huge fan of this dialogue style. It lets the player fill in the exact words and allows you to capture more personalities with fewer dialogue options. I don't mind it being past tense either, in my eyes it is "reliving" the story.

I can't wait to get more info, this is at this point a 100% certain pre-order for me.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    Very possibly. But it's also possible that it puts you in turn based mode for certain environmental challenges without enemies, e.g. the one screenshot with "turn-based" instead of "combat" seems to be some sort of trapped crypt with fiery arrows flying around.

Similar to "Crisis" in Tides of Numenera where the game sometimes took you to turn-based without enemies around.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    1varangian wrote: »
    Visual quality is great.

Not a fan of the past tense dialogue choices at all. It takes the player out of the moment. Everything has happened already and the protagonist is just recounting the story for an unknown listener. It's less immersive. I don't want to tell the story, I want to live the story.

Could there be both turn based and real time combat? In one screenshot it says "turn based" on top and in another "in combat".
    Sven already stated that they are only going to use one of them. There is always the possibility to be able to play both types of combat in the game via mods. They already made it in Pathfinder.
    Even so, the guys of Owlcat even stated that they are going to do the same as POE2 game and allow the possibility of playing the game in RT and TB in the upcoming PF:WoTR game.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    1varangian wrote: »
    Visual quality is great.

Sven already stated that they are only going to use one of them. There is always the possibility to be able to play both types of combat in the game via mods. They already made it in Pathfinder.
    Even so, the guys of Owlcat even stated that they are going to do the same as POE2 game and allow the possibility of playing the game in RT and TB in the upcoming PF:WoTR game.

Literally writing "turn-based" on the GUI is weird though. If it's not a mode or choice, why would it be there at all? I guess we will find out in a few hours.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    that's a mod for NWN2 right ? Or maybe NWN3 !
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Seldar wrote: »
    that's a mod for NWN2 right ? Or maybe NWN3 !
    Surely looks like it, doesn't it? :p
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Skitia wrote: »
    I am actually a huge fan of this dialogue style. It lets the player fill in the exact words and allows you to capture more personalities with fewer dialogue options. I don't mind it being past tense either, in my eyes it is "reliving" the story.

I can't wait to get more info, this is at this point a 100% certain pre-order for me.

Yes, I definitely enjoy the "blending actions with my words" approach the dialogue is using. Helps me visualize the story and roleplay more. NOT that thrilled with the past tense as it just feels kinda clunky to me, but I think I can probably get used to it.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    Sven is a natural born joker BTW

I´m kinda curious about this approach to the dialogue. I´m used to it due to the previous DoS2 game, but I wonder if this means that the MC is not dubbed. I hope so, because when you use that kind of presentation sometimes does not match at all the wording with the actual words the character say, like in Fo4 or DA:I inquisition games
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    Interesting, can't wait for the actual reveal here in a bit. Overall looks very much like I expected, with the main gameplay seeming to be isometric in the OS series way. Almost certainly turn-based combat as well. Looks like five party members as well? Can't say if that's the max yet, I sure hope it's still six.

Also, seems to have taken inspiration from Dragon Age on the dialogue camera, and maybe the ability to rotate it down at any time.

GUI looks rough and incomplete from this shots. That big line of empty boxes. Also doesn't look very stylized, but rather generic. So I suspect that changes greatly from now to release.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Well, basically it looks like D:OS. Judging from the artwork I think the game should do justice to the city of BG and other Faerunian locations featured in the game. As others are noting, use of the past tense instead of present tense for the response options is a bit odd.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i think the reason it is written like that is we are retelling the story to volo. does not stop is from being clunky.