Skip to content

Baldur's Gate III released into Early Access

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    So you can miss in RPGs.

As I kept saying, that phrase was out of context.
    BallpointMan
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yea looks very Divinity Original Sins ish. Even has the turn based combat.
    KamigoroshiThacoBell
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    Plus the origin stories. Really feels like D:OS in FR, not BG so far. At least to me.
    KamigoroshiThacoBellkanisatha
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited February 2020
    Personally, I'd much rather would have origins stories style like in DA:O. At least then it would involve the PC's racial or class background.

Also, it seems the dialogues can't be skipped. And all lines are fully voiced no less. So people with chronic restartitis will also suffer massive ear bleedings.
    ThacoBell
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    I stopped watching because I am at work - but it looks great. Graphics looks great. Combat looks good. There are some overly high fantasy concepts that I don’t love, but the all the little details are there to make me want to play it.

That said - there is exactly a zero percent chance I’ll play it in EA until all races and Classes are added. It sounds like they’re all going to be there, but not necessarily while the game is in EA.

The central plot mechanism is a little over the top, but then, it’s not really any more so than being the bhaalspawn
    Endlesswave
    edited February 2020
    I'm glad to see the warlock made it in for the early access. If any of the classes were going to get not brought in initially I would have guessed it would be it. But I guess mechanically it's a pretty straightforward class to implement if you've already got a long/short rest system in place.
    BallpointMan
    So traps trigger in real time, but can optionally be entered in a turn-based mode? And they still go with "TB combat is the holy grail" approach? Bah!
    kanisatha
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,567
    So traps trigger in real time, but can optionally be entered in a turn-based mode? And they still go with "TB combat is the holy grail" approach? Bah!

Transitioning traps that run on a loop is different than creating two different combat systems from the ground up. I'm not sure Larian has ever argued it's the holy grail either, just that it's a better fit for the kind of game they want to make. It certainly looked good in the demo, imo.

I also don't get people who like CRPG's but can't stand turn based combat? You're really limiting yourself to a pretty small number of titles if that's your preference, and frankly, shortchanging your gaming experience.
    BallpointManscriver
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 90
    I kinda liked it, even though it's not I'd wish for. Not a "BG3". At least they seem to be doing 5E right. From what I see, it will probably be a great game and I'll enjoy it for a while, then leave it and go back to BG1/2, because that's what I like best.
    DinoDin wrote: »

Transitioning traps that run on a loop is different than creating two different combat systems from the ground up. I'm not sure Larian has ever argued it's the holy grail either, just that it's a better fit for the kind of game they want to make. It certainly looked good in the demo, imo.

I also don't get people who like CRPG's but can't stand turn based combat? You're really limiting yourself to a pretty small number of titles if that's your preference, and frankly, shortchanging your gaming experience.

You do you and I do me. I find no joy in how the majority of western RPG's does turn-based combat. It's not the thing I am looking for to entertain myself in my free time. Plain and simple. After watching Larian's gameplay reveal, I can state with a clean conscience that I do not plan to play the shown game. Just as like I do not plan playing any of their previously D:OS games.
    ThacoBellkanisatha

You do you and I do me. I find no joy in how the majority of western RPG's does turn-based combat. It's not the thing I am looking for to entertain myself in my free time. Plain and simple. After watching Larian's gameplay reveal, I can state with a clean conscience that I do not plan to play the shown game. Just as like I do not plan playing any of their previously D:OS games.

I'm not interested in making you do anything, I merely wanted to share a point of view that I enjoy. CRPG's have overwhelmingly been turn based combat. There were tons of great titles, highly praised for their tactical combat at the time, like the old Gold Box classics.

There are, what? maybe around 10 or so total titles that are CRPG's with RTwP. And the consumer demand is clearly tilting towards turn-based, with PoE and Pathfinder switching back. So, again, you're really cutting out a ton of classics in the genre by completing eschewing these games. Seriously, the original Fallout? Pool of Radiance? The OS games, Wasteland 2? These are title that are worth your time if you enjoy the IE games!

I mean, D&D itself is a turn-based system. And at Baldur's Gate's original release, many hardcore D&D or old CRPG fans lambasted the realtime as being targeted at casual gamers, or of dumbing down the combat. It's certainly humorously ironic to me, to see the same narrow view expressed in the opposite direction today.
    scriver
    edited February 2020
    @DinoDin No thanks. :)

In the first place, I do not limit myself to CRPG's. Real time action RPG's, Hack&Slash, JRPG's, Point and Click Adventure games, Sci-Fi exploration games, Horror games and Open World Survival games are all close to my gamer heart. Meaning I have a lot of variety to choose from.

I agree with you that CRPG's using RTwP are very, very few in number. Especially compared to those using TB - hence why I hold the small amount which does use RTwP precious. On top of my head the only western TB cRPG franchise I earnestly approved of was Drakensang. But that's more because The Dark Eye is less combat focused than its Northern American PnP counterpart.

Honestly, I couldn't care less about D&D as a TableTop ruleset: especially after the dozens and dozens of retconnings it went through. My interest in WotC's IP as a whole hit practically rock bottom level. So no, I certainly don't see myself as a hardcore D&D fan.
    ThacoBellkanisatha
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    edited February 2020
    Wow. Just wow. It looks amazing. I’m lost for words really.
    DinoDin
    Gosh.. one of the reasons I don’t really come to these forums much these days is due to the large amount of negativity I see here. Don’t get me wrong. You are all entitled to your opinions. But I spend more time now speaking on places I know that have some positivity. It’s a shame as I miss the days when these forums were a really nice place to chat to people. It just feels very bitter now. Either way I’m really excited for Baldur’s Gate 3 and can’t wait.
    DinoDinBallpointManmlneveseSkatan
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    @Kamigoroshi I feel like the people who invested the most amount of hours into the BG series were never "huge" DnD fans. That's why it was so easy to get into BG; because you didn't need to be a DnD geek to understand what was going on. Even though it was over a DnD template, the combat system was constructed in a way that was straightforward and less focused on every roll of the dice. It flowed, and it allowed you to control the pace. If you wanted to metagame and speed through enemies, you could do that. If you were a beginner, you could play slowly and familiarize yourself while slowly but surely picking up the pace throughout the game as your skills increased.

Turn-based combat controls the pace for you. Every single battle is now relevant. This is NOT a good thing. AT ALL. This is because the world of BG is so vast that there are lots of inconsequential creatures lurking around the wilderness. The majority of your time in BG/BG2 was spent actually *avoiding* enemies because you only had a few potions and spells available to you and you didn't want to waste health fighting unnecessarily. Think about how many times in Pokemon you bump into creatures you have no interest in fighting and have to run from every battle. That's what this is like. That is extremely tedious and will get boring very quickly. It is not what BG fans are familiar with (nor ever wanted).
    KamigoroshiWarChiefZekeMERLANCEAdul
    wraith5641 wrote: »

I'm not interested in making you do anything, I merely wanted to share a point of view that I enjoy. CRPG's have overwhelmingly been turn based combat. There were tons of great titles, highly praised for their tactical combat at the time, like the old Gold Box classics.

There are, what? maybe around 10 or so total titles that are CRPG's with RTwP. And the consumer demand is clearly tilting towards turn-based, with PoE and Pathfinder switching back. So, again, you're really cutting out a ton of classics in the genre by completing eschewing these games. Seriously, the original Fallout? Pool of Radiance? The OS games, Wasteland 2? These are title that are worth your time if you enjoy the IE games!

I mean, D&D itself is a turn-based system. And at Baldur's Gate's original release, many hardcore D&D or old CRPG fans lambasted the realtime as being targeted at casual gamers, or of dumbing down the combat. It's certainly humorously ironic to me, to see the same narrow view expressed in the opposite direction today.

If they only care about "consumer demand", call this game DoS3 and be done with it. Do NOT use the beloved BG franchise just to cash in or promote your company.

The fact other games are turn based or that's the way the tide has gone in gaming makes absolutely no difference at all. The combat system is a staple part of the BG series, and a sequel needed to emulate it in order to even remotely feel like a Baldur's Gate game. It could be the only game series on planet Earth with rtwp, and I'd still say keep it that way. In fact, I'd be even more inclined to say that because at least it would be a different experience as opposed to just being a DoS clone!

Well, the gameplay itself shows that it's not an OS clone, at least imo. Again, I'm just baffled by this need for the combat system to be a certain way. Again, this is echoing comments made in the late 90's that BG wasn't "true D&D" because it wasn't turn-based. While I personally prefer RTwP, in part because i played a ton of RTS games, I think turnbased CRPG's, and especially D&D franchise ones, can be excellent. They have been in the past!

And I don't get this undercurrent of ownership some fans feel towards the series. You bought the products, you love the games. But honestly, there's not "fan consensus" about how the BG series should evolve from here, so I think assuming that going turn-based is some kind of betrayal of the soul of the series or its fanbase, it's just not something that I think has evidence behind it. It's just your personal taste.

But even it were true, you're not the one pouring real labor or capital into this game -- Larian is doing that. This attachment/identity that mere consumers of products develop, it's just not healthy imo. A more detached view is better. I mean, the original IE games aren't going anywhere, so if that's your jam, you will still be able to play them as much as ever. And with things like NWN EE, there's grand potential for lots of modules, even if the tech isn't as advanced as BG3.

And frankly I'd just like to reiterate Byrne20's comment. The negativity, especially framing it as something beyond your personal opinion, is just not contributing to good discussion on here.
    @wraith5641 all a matter of opinion.
    BallpointMan
    @WarChiefZeke fine then. No one is forcing you to buy it. I however will :)
    DinoDinBallpointMan
    Playing a Githyanki could prove interesting. We'll see how much they do with race-based interactions.
    BallpointManmlnevese
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited February 2020
    Again, I'm just baffled by this need for the combat system to be a certain way.

Having some consistency in core features is pretty important to a franchise. Street Fighter didn't suddenly become a cart racing game between 2 and 3. Neverwinter Nights didn't become a first person shooter between 1 and 2. If any of that happened, the fans of the previous games would rightly be mad about it. The differences between 3 and the first two are just as big.
    ThacoBell
    wraith5641 wrote: »
    @Kamigoroshi I feel like the people who invested the most amount of hours into the BG series were never "huge" DnD fans. That's why it was so easy to get into BG; because you didn't need to be a DnD geek to understand what was going on. Even though it was over a DnD template, the combat system was constructed in a way that was straightforward and less focused on every roll of the dice. It flowed, and it allowed you to control the pace. If you wanted to metagame and speed through enemies, you could do that. If you were a beginner, you could play slowly and familiarize yourself while slowly but surely picking up the pace throughout the game as your skills increased.

Turn-based combat controls the pace for you. Every single battle is now relevant. This is NOT a good thing. AT ALL. This is because the world of BG is so vast that there are lots of inconsequential creatures lurking around the wilderness. The majority of your time in BG/BG2 was spent actually *avoiding* enemies because you only had a few potions and spells available to you and you didn't want to waste health fighting unnecessarily. Think about how many times in Pokemon you bump into creatures you have no interest in fighting and have to run from every battle. That's what this is like. That is extremely tedious and will get boring very quickly. It is not what BG fans are familiar with (nor ever wanted).

I certainly don't think it's the case at all in BG2 that you spend time avoiding enemies. There are certain fights you might avoid at lower levels like the liches or dragons, but those are all essentially locked away in little corners of the world. And those are maybe six or so encounters total.

What you're saying is kind of true in BG1, but only in a limited sense, imo. Even first time players, if they strictly follow the main quest line, won't encounter any fights that need to be avoided. And the too tough fights in the early accessible sections of the game are almost all conquerable by about level 4 or so. And while I think this worked for BG1 and worked for the time of the game's launch, I'm not at all sure this philosophy works today.
    edited February 2020
    Again, I'm just baffled by this need for the combat system to be a certain way.

Having some consistency in core features is pretty important to a franchise. Street Fighter didn't suddenly become a cart racing game between 2 and 3. Neverwinter Nights didn't become a first person shooter between 1 and 2. If any of that happened, the fans of the previous games would rightly be mad about it. The differences between 3 and the first two are just as big.

No, those examples are objectively bigger changes than switching a CRPG from RTWP combat to turnbased combat