Skip to content

19 strength or 19 constitution

Making a half orc fighter/thief. Trying to decide between 19 strength and 19 constitution.

It's not an issue of stat totals. I just like to mix up the numbers.

Thoughts?

Comments

• StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,350
    Definitely 19 con.

Strength can be boosted easily by any fighter type in Bg1 and SoD, and in even easier in BG2 with the belts and all.

The key is using potions for the big battles. A well timed usage of a potion of str (19-24), is often more than enough. In the bread and butter battles in the wildernesses areas, ranged attacks will serve you better. Proficiency in shortbows and longswords/staff could serve the fighter/thief type well.

19 con could give you regeneration once the door to FAI is open. And with the con tome gathered it’s innate.

When you hit BG2 and reach WK, you can push it to 21 when you reach the machine of Lum the mad. Which is 9 HP more.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    19 STR will be more immediately useful, thanks to the combat bonuses, while 19 CON is the gift that keeps on giving (CON Bonus keeps getting added to your total HP after you reach level 10 in SoA) so it's a question of where your Hard Part Of The Game is.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    For full context, it would either be 19 Strength 18 Dexterity 17 Constitution or it would be 17 strength 18 Dexterity 19 constitution, if that impacts anything.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    I like Thac0 on thieves. And even more so, on F/T. Your main task is to successfully backstab. So I'd take STR.

That's ultimately what I've been coming back to here. High Strength feels more in tune with a class combo that shines offensively.

I don't usually go crazy with the strength because it feels like a rooky mistake in a game with so many means of boosting your strength whenever it's important, but I might make an exception in this case.

The other thing I've been coming back to is if I go full Con, then it feels kind of like I'm a dwarf who trades my saving throw and thieving bonuses for +1 Dex. Wouldn't feel so much like a weaker dwarf if I allowed this half orc to excel at what half orcs do best though.

• ShangerooShangeroo Member Posts: 84
    Through the majority of game play, I think you'll get more mileage out of Str 19. Yes there are strength increasing items, but yes there are also many regenerating items as well in BG2 (regeneration is really the point of getting 19 constitution so you can get 20 with Lum Machine 22 with evil Tear path). Ring of Gaxx is probably the best regeneration item and you can acquire it very early in SOA. The strength belts and weapons that get you to 22+ strength won't be available until later on.
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    I agree with @Shangeroo , while there are STR-enhancing gear, those are only available in SoA, and high STR seems especially useful in BG1/SoD for thac0 purposes (the +dmg remains useful all game long).

Plus, for flavor as you said, a F/T feels more strength-oriented than constitution (although, 17 CON is still pretty bulky).

A few more HP is always welcome, but a F/T gameplay relies more on stealth and manoeuvering than tanking hits (especially considering that in the end, the difference will only be +9 HP at those high levels of CON).
    High-con regen is overrated IMO (so many healing options are available in BG1, and by BG2 you can find better ways to regen).

19 starting STR on the other hand is very useful from lvl1(-2 thac0/+6dmg compared to 17STR), stays useful after the STR tome (still -2/+6 from 20 STR compared to 18 STR).

Of course, gear changes that (gauntlets of Ogre Power in BG1, STR enhancing belts in BG2), but your character is relying on gear to act like an half orc, instead of his own muscles. Disappointing :wink:

(Also note that by the end of the game, with Lum's machine & Hell's trials, your half orc can get natural 23 STR without any gear. Feels satisfying if you ask me).