Skip to content

COVID-19

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    If you live near to Toowoomba, you could try this family ...
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Just wait until you see the prices on the black market. There are indeed folks who sell a single 500cc bottle of hand sanitizer for over 200 bucks. And don't get me started with the “molded masks“ scam that easily tear when exposed to the slightest of breezes.

In other news, Germany has prohibited the export of masks/desinfection products. 545 cases and ever climbing. There are also discussions whenever schools and kindergardens should be closed, national wide.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    It's amazing how people keep literally whistling past the graveyard in regards to this virus. Do we need to be stocking up on canned goods and avoiding Asian restaurants?? No, of course not. But this is serious, and as the numbers continue to rise, the question is, why on Earth does anyone think they are just going to stop doing so by some magic intervention??
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    It's amazing how people keep literally whistling past the graveyard in regards to this virus. Do we need to be stocking up on canned goods and avoiding Asian restaurants?? No, of course not. But this is serious, and as the numbers continue to rise, the question is, why on Earth does anyone think they are just going to stop doing so by some magic intervention??

There is no way of containing this without resorting to draconian measures. Sorry, but hand-sanitizer doesn't do shit if somebody sneezes on you. China might be able to nip this in the bud, but clearly the Western world isn't going to propose authoritarian tactics. It's probably a blessing that it's not worse than it is. Maybe this will be a wake-up call. But I doubt it...
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Balrog99 wrote: »

There is no way of containing this without resorting to draconian measures. Sorry, but hand-sanitizer doesn't do shit if somebody sneezes on you. China might be able to nip this in the bud, but clearly the Western world isn't going to propose authoritarian tactics. It's probably a blessing that it's not worse than it is. Maybe this will be a wake-up call. But I doubt it...

Don't overstate the situation.

Also, the perfect is the enemy of the good. Washing your hands properly does increase your chances of contracting a respiratory infection, just not by 100%. Nothing does short of isolating yourself from the outside until such a time as when SARS-CoV-2 is no longer in the environment (effectively never).
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited March 2020
    Lol the US is doing worse than nothing atm. We are barely testing a few thousand cases, the original test kits were contaminated and useless, and most literally can't get tested at all even if they wanted to.

Meanwhile our "president" is on live tv telling everyone not to call into work sick or care at all. SK and China did an amazing job but it's not going to matter much in the face of the inevitable spread in and from America. So even if you are in Australia and there's only 100 cases now, that is going to be going up unless you shut all borders and don't import any goods and successfully quarantine your own people until it stops spreading elsewhere.
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    edited March 2020

I think this is already taken more seriously than it should have, that’s why people start panicking and doing ridiculous things. As long as you’re not in a high risk area like Wuhan, and as long as you’re not vulnerable or over 70 years old, I don’t see the point of worry or panic.

On the other hand, governments should take it seriously and take measures of course. Some are already taking measures like closing down schools, which make sense. Some are not very quickly and convincingly taking measures unfortunately. But there’s no point in causing more panic in general public, which makes them do ridiculous things like attacking Asians in the street.

Personally I always take care of my hygiene anyway, coronavirus or not. And I don’t like crowded places. I’m definitely not going to wear a mask outside like a surgeon. So I’m not going to change anything regarding my daily life.

If this panic causes non-hygienic people to become hygienic, then great. They should have cared about their hygiene in the first place anyway. But things like stocking up for nuclear war or wearing masks do not make sense to me unless you’re in a high risk area. Even then the mask won’t protect much by itself anyway, you need to protect your eyes too to have a reliable protection
    edited March 2020
    Ludwig_II wrote: »

I think this is already taken more seriously than it should have, that’s why people start panicking and doing ridiculous things. As long as you’re not in a high risk area like Wuhan, and as long as you’re not vulnerable or over 70 years old, I don’t see the point of worry or panic.

On the other hand, governments should take it seriously and take measures of course. Some are already taking measures like closing down schools, which make sense. Some are not very quickly and convincingly taking measures unfortunately. But there’s no point in causing more panic in general public, which makes them do ridiculous things like attacking Asians in the street.

Personally I always take care of my hygiene anyway, coronavirus or not. And I don’t like crowded places. I’m definitely not going to wear a mask outside like a surgeon. So I’m not going to change anything regarding my daily life.

If this panic causes non-hygienic people to become hygienic, then great. They should have cared about their hygiene in the first place anyway. But things like stocking up for nuclear war or wearing masks do not make sense to me unless you’re in a high risk area. Even then the mask won’t protect much by itself anyway, you need to protect your eyes too to have a reliable protection

I agree the stockpiling of toilet paper is ridiculous, but I'm also getting real tired of the minimization of the risk it poses to people with compromised immune systems. There is an elevated danger to certain segments of the population, safety measures and hygiene be damned.
    I agree the stockpiling of toilet paper is ridiculous, but I'm also getting real tired of the minimization of the risk it poses to people with compromised immune systems. There is an elevated danger to certain segments of the population, safety measures and hygiene be damned.

Truth.

Just to clarify, my objection was to the assertion that the US needs to adopt strict authoritarian measures to contain things. My other objection was to the claim that washing your hands won't help.
    Coronavirus lingers in rooms and toilets, but disinfectants kill it: Singapore study

Should prove to be useful information for folks who live together with sick people at home. Or maybe if you yourselves are sick and expecting visitors coming inside your home. Better to disinfect chairs, bed rails, windows, floors, light switches and toilets routinely in addition to hands.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325

True, although this is also why it's important for people who are NOT in the at-risk groups to stay calm and not panic, because that makes it more difficult for medical staff and facilities to treat the ones who DO need urgent care. This is one of those weird statistical situations where yes, if the disease becomes widespread in your country, a lot of people are gonna die just due to pure statistics and medical infrastructure getting overwhelmed, but the odds of YOU, personally, being among the dead is actually very low.

So yes, we're in this odd situation where governments need to take strong, immediate action in order to clamp down on potential widespread infection and to prevent their medical systems from buckling under the sheer weight of patient numbers, but we also need people to remain calm and remember that the personal risk level to you, unless you're elderly, have a compromised immune system or an underlying respiratory issue, means you don't need to panic and you should just take extra care with your hygiene, and follow advice from medical professionals. Don't go panic buying or follow weird advice you get on your phone or Facebook about drinking bleach or keeping your throat moist or eating more curry. (All things that worried friends/relatives have actually sent to me!)
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited March 2020
    Welp Corona virus has hit my state now.
    Post edited by DragonKing on
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Its in 3 of the four states that border us.
    It's naive to think it isn't in every state. It absolutely is by this point.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Panic over coronavirus is becoming worse than coronavirus itself.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I'm waiting for Gretchen Whitmer to call for a wall around Michigan pretty soon. Nothing here as yet...
    I'm literally laying in the ER accross from someone with the Coronavirus... Im screwed...
    @smeagolheart
    I don't remember saying anything about it being fatal... Warts aren't fatal doesn't mean I want to get them...
    Most cases are about as severe as the common cold.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg
    "So if people are sufficiently worried, then there's a lot less to worry about. But if no one is worried - that's when you should worry!" Timestamp 8:26 ~ 8:32
    Gotta say... ^that quote made my day.
    Needless to say the word "worried" in this sentence here does not equal to "panicking".
    First confirmed case here in Kansas. Its about 15 minutes from my house.
    It's basically wiped out an entire nursing home facility in Washington state. 70 employees exposed, 13 dead (if I remember correctly).

Most of the Life Care Center deaths are residents, not employees. Which is still really bad, and reflects severe mismanagement at Life Care Center.

Plus the death toll is probably much higher as not all deaths since February 19 have yet had test results to determine whether covid-19 was the cause or at least an implicating factor in their deaths. But yes, 70 employees have shown symptoms and are currently self-quarantined in their homes. As far as I know, none of the employees have died.

Probably helps to show just how badly things were handled there. https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/08/politics/coronavirus-washington-nursing-home-life-care-center-kirkland-cnntv/index.html

I keep wanting to type it as "CORVID-19"