Skip to content

weapon availability

2»

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @subtledoctor The enchant weapon spell ensures that your character doesn't have to just stand around. Wait till Belhifet casts his dispel (or stay far enough from Caelar that it doesn't reach you) then wade in.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @subtledoctor So, why is having enchant weapons not addressing the issue to you? Its a really useful spell in and of itself, so having multiple copies of it seems like smart plan regardless.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    I don't see a fundamental issue with certain classes/weapon types struggling against an end-game boss as long as there is some effort to telegraph those limitations to the player. For instance, having the player run into a lesser version of the enemy so that their weapon deficiencies become apparent.

Finding out your weapons are useless when you are standing toe to toe with the last boss is disheartening at best. Also, one-way trips compound that, which is why Werewolf island in ToSC could be a game-stopper. I get that RP choices have consequences, but...
    @subtledoctor Agree to disagree I suppose. D&D has never really been balanced.
    I was gonna post that I just don't see the problem, but seeing @Maurvir and @subtledoctor posts together in person made me realize something. If a modern game did this, I'd be pretty annoyed. I think I give this a pass for SoD specifically because BG did stuff like that, and with SoD, I wanted another pure BG game, inherent flaws and all.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    Hmm. I think this would irritate me as it happens, too. But on the larger scale it makes the world not revolve around you, the player.

Sometimes when you fix all minor irritations you lose something precious on the way. The success of Classic WoW is a good example
  • ShangerooShangeroo Member Posts: 84
    edited March 2020
    Agree that not knowing the last boss needs +3 weapons until you finally fight him is frustrating. My suggestion is to have Thrix offer the party 4 weapon options instead of just 1 weapon (which is useless to clerics, druids, and mages) and 2 armor items. That will ensure that any party will have a proficient weapon they can use. Also depending on how you play the last fight, you do get an ally with a +3 weapon. This ally can actually solo the boss for you on Core difficulty.

But as monico listed there are many +3 weapons in the game, even if you don't import any from BG1. That list is missing a second +3 shortsword and yes, there are +3 bullets beyond the void bullets. So every class, even a cleric should have a sufficient option to use.

If you're soloing, you should definitely have one of these weapons already, can't imagine why you wouldn't be carrying one. Solo is only hard on Insane level, which it should be. K/M and K/T doable with lots of regular healing (constantly used Durlag's goblet). I've never been able to do Insane solo with mage character, but I'm sure a better player than myself could.