Skip to content

Deciding to finally play this game all the way through.... rolled a Mage (Transmuter)...

I have owned this game for 20 years and never completed it (got through Chapter 3 a few years ago) so I decided to give it another go. Went through the character creation and decided on a LE Human Mage (Transmuter). I am only to the Friendly Arm Inn and I'm getting the feeling that this is going to be challenging (though fun) play through. I'm playing on the standard rules difficulty. Got any tips?

I am recording this on Youtube, so if you want to check out my progress on this character:
JuliusBorisovTressetBalrog99Aerakar

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Play a Conjurer instead of Transmuter? It won't matter if you don't plan on playing all the way through BG2 and ToB but Transmuters miss out on some really good spells. Conjurers miss out on next to nothing (Identify is the only annoying loss).
    thelaughingskulls
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Most important tip would be to memorize and liberally use the sleep spell which is an absolute game-changer in the first half of BG1. Second most important tip would be to hit the rest button whenever your spell slots are gone. Best wishes and good luck!
    thelaughingskullsThacoBell
  • ShangerooShangeroo Member Posts: 84
    For a mage my recommendation for starting spells would be sleep and blindness. Choose darts for starting weapon proficiency. Sleep for most groups of enemies and those who are over lvl 4 and immune to sleep you can use blindness and then dart them to death.
    thelaughingskulls
  • thelaughingskullsthelaughingskulls Member Posts: 2
    Thanks everyone for your tips!
    Balrog99