Skip to content

[HOW TO] Install mods on iOS devices (NO Jailbreak)

Comments

• _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    @Luke93 It was not that serious, the game didn't crash, but I didn't hear the successfully imported music either.

And this holds for Argent77's mods as well?
  • imp51096454imp51096454 Member Posts: 53
    edited March 2020
    No need for that, @Luke93 Just your current music folder(music.bg2data), thankyou very much :#
    If the file is oversized, you can delete some contents it holds, I just want to look at the structure of the folder.
    @imp51096454

Here's the structure of my BG2:EE music folder after installing 'Test your Mettle!'.
    StummvonBordwehrimp51096454
    lsf2h4kcw2kv.jpg

@Luke93 Thankyou so much. I have made a comparison between mine and yours. quite a lot differences.
    Regrettably, after importing your music.bg2data to my IOS device, it still won't work.
    Thanks again for your kind assistance. But it seems that I have to find another reson for this problem.
    edited March 2020
    For me, override.bg2data and lang.bg2data worked perfect when following the standard procedure, but when it comes to other file folder, a lots of problem, it was definitely my fault, I will tell you as soon as I find the culprit
    Post edited by imp51096454 on
    StummvonBordwehr
    @Luke93 Thankyou so much. I have made a comparison between mine and yours. quite a lot differences.
    Regrettably, after importing your music.bg2data to my IOS device, it still won't work.

What do you mean by "quite a lot differences"? As you said, the \music folder was oversized, so I had to delete many files before uploading it here...

Anyway, I'd like to ask for @argent77 's help: can you think of any reason why "ACM" / "MUS" files won't play on iOS? Do you think they need special treatment like PVRZ files?
    imp51096454
    edited March 2020
    @Luke93 Please refer to the my latest posted figure:
    Our music folders have different: 1, attribute; 2,characteristics; 3,Host OS, but regardless, both file didn't work on my IOS device.
    And I my current plan is: 1, jailbreak my iPad with BG2: EE installed (I dare not test my iphone) 2, install a document manager 3, open a music.bg2data with iPad BG2: EE 4, use document manager to see if music folder is installed in a correct structure.
    But... It seems that apple have recently shut down their internet, so I have tried several jailbreak method but end up with failure...sigh
    Our music folders have different: 1, attribute; 2,characteristics; 3,Host OS...

This may be due to the fact that I'm on macOS instead of Windows...
    imp51096454
    edited March 2020
    @Luke93 perhaps I should try a macOS emulator o:)
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Luke93 wrote: »
    Anyway, I'd like to ask for @argent77 's help: can you think of any reason why "ACM" / "MUS" files won't play on iOS? Do you think they need special treatment like PVRZ files?
    I don't know. Soundtracks in EE games can already be in Ogg format (despite the .acm extension), so I don't think there is any further conversion needed. In any case, make sure that song entries in SONGLIST.2DA correspond to the song entries in the respective ARE files.
    imp51096454StummvonBordwehr
    @imp51096454

Have you already tried what Argent77 suggested?
    edited March 2020
    @Luke93 Yes, and I totally understand the consequence of the mismatch between SONGLIST.2da and the entries in corresponding ARE/Script, eg: a battle song will be played when your romance triggers. And I am still working on this problem...I'd rather a bug of mismatch will show up, reminding me at least the music folder is installed, even in a wrong order.
    edited March 2020
    ...I'd rather a bug of mismatch will show up, reminding me at least the music folder is installed, even in a wrong order.

Guess you could try editing an existing script (e.g., "BDDEFAI.BCS") so that one of its script block fires a certain song from "SONGLIST.2DA" (via using the script action "PlaySong()"...). In so doing, you can verify if mod-added songs are installed correctly...
    StummvonBordwehr
    edited March 2020
    @Luke93 Thankyou for your suggestion, and I have tried this approach, but no song (including mismatched song) was played. There is a simple way to verify if music.bg2data was installed: in BGIIEE,IOS version, currently there is no BGM for blackpit II (namely, after clicking on the portrait of the gladiator, blackpit theme will not be played)---there are three pairs of lacking files in BGIIEE ipa: bpc3.mus, bptheme.mus, bpstg.mus, and corresponding ACM file folders. May be you can try importing the foregoing file pairs into your ios device and see if it work on BGM of black pit, although I have never made it on my iphone.
    edited March 2020
    @imp51096454

So, I've just done a quick test of Argent77's 'Trial of Luremaster' mod and it seems all sound tracks ("ID9500.MUS" and the like) play fine (including Battle songs).

Please, could you tell me the area(s) which do not play any sound for you? Here's the list of all new areas:
    {"ID9700","Anauroch Castle - outer courtyard (TotL start area)"},
    {"ID9701","Anauroch Castle - south Tower basement - battle test"},
    {"ID9702","Anauroch Castle - south tower upstairs - wyverns"},
    {"ID9703","Anauroch Castle - west Tower basement - intelligence test"},
    {"ID9704","Anauroch Castle - west Tower upstairs - Harald"},
    {"ID9705","Anauroch Castle - north Tower basement - courage test"},
    {"ID9706","Anauroch Castle - north Tower upstairs - harpy queen"},
    {"ID9707","Anauroch Castle - east Tower basement - perseverance test"},
    {"ID9708","Anauroch Castle - east Tower upstairs - Banites"},
    {"ID9709","Anauroch Castle - western battlements"},
    {"ID9710","Anauroch Castle - eastern battlements"},
    {"ID9711","Anauroch Castle - inner courtyard"},
    {"ID9712","Anauroch Castle - upper story"},
    {"ID9713","Anauroch Castle - Ruined Temple of Helm"},
    {"ID9714","Anauroch Castle - Watchknight Tomb"},
    {"ID9715","Anauroch Castle - hideout of Hobart"},
    {"ID9716","Anauroch Castle - dungeon level 1"},
    {"ID9717","Anauroch Castle - dungeon level 2"},
    {"ID9718","Anauroch Castle - dungeon level 3"},
    {"ID9800","Anauroch Castle - Jackal Clan caverns - level 1"},
    {"ID9801","Anauroch Castle - Jackal Clan caverns - level 2"},

Post edited by _Luke_ on
    StummvonBordwehr
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    edited March 2020
    Sorry wrong thread.

But since I am here. Thank you for ongoing work on the iOS modding section Luke. It’s truly appreciated
    _Luke_
    @Luke93 I have played through 'Trial of Luremaster', and I didn't realized that there was BGM for every area, until recently I found the problem of Saerilth's MOD and began to look at the structure of music folder. I think the problem should be attributed to my fault instead of 'Trial of Luremaster', as I said, I have also tried to import original song track such as bptheme.mus for Black Pit II, but failed.
    edited March 2020
    @Luke93 I have just imported my BG2 save file which was saved after my party was teleported to Ice wind Dale, to my PC(Windows10), muisc can be played and every thing is perfect (I havn't played through the MOD, but I have entered several different areas where BGM could be normally played). I must have made some mistakes when importing music.bg2data.
    I must have made some mistakes when importing music.bg2data.

Compression method when creating "music.zip"...?
    @Luke93 Store, I was following the standard procedure, please refer to this figure:kgdn7crulj5y.png
    Store, I was following the standard procedure...

If this method works for \override and \lang, then I cannot understand what's wrong...
    imp51096454
    Yes, it's weird, thankyou again Luke for your tireless effort to help me fix this problem, I shall report the culprit as soon as I find it
    StummvonBordwehr
  • catch6229catch6229 Member Posts: 29
    Hi guys. Im a bit stuck and not sure what I did wrong. So, followed the entire process just as defined. No dice. I tried zipping everything with winrar at first. I thought something was off when in step 10, the app launched right away despite having a bunch of stuff in the override folder.

So, tried again using the windows native .zip compressor. I've also backtested that this one works better because, when i zipped savegames out of EEeditor using winrar, they just wouldn't load with the app (I would rename them .bg2save, and they could open in BG2 but the app just wouldn't recognize the save being there). However, when I zip with the native windows .zip option, the app can open the save game no problem.

Anyways, I retried sending my override and the lang.zip file (renamed accordingly). This time, the override (mod.bg2data) that loaded in the app did take a while to load (but the language one loaded instantly). Still though, none of the overrides took hold. I tested because I installed Dungeon Be Gone, and don't see the portal to leave right away. Furthermore, I installed an XP cap remover and that is definitely not loaded because the cap is still in place. Just in case I've attached the lang.zip file if anyone has a bright idea of what I did wrong.

The writeup was so thorough, thought I would get it for sure but, alas, nothing.
    edited April 2020
    @catch6229

You shouldn't rename the override folder, just its extension, i.e.: override => override.zip => override.bg2data (instead of mod.bg2data). Do the same for \lang, i.e.: lang => lang.zip => lang.bg2data.

And yes, you should be fine with the Windows native .zip compressor...
    @Luke93 that was me follow steps 6 and 7 here:
    Zip (no compression) all the files contained in the override folder; for example -> mod.zip. You can alternatively zip (no compression) the whole override folder.
    Rename the archive to: mod.bg1/bg2/iwd/pstoverride. Alternatively, rename the override to: override.bg1/bg2/iwd/pstdata.

But, tried it again with zipping the entire override folder rather than the individual mod contents as override.bg2data. I wasn't sure how many files were already in the override so I just decided to re-install the app anew. Went through the entire process again, but this time and override.bg2save.

This time when I opened in BG2, the app crashed at first. I re-opened it the second time, it opened fine. But again, no changes (XP cap still not lifted, dungeon be gone still not there)
    catch6229 wrote: »
    Went through the entire process again, but this time and override.bg2save.

It's .bg2data, not .bg2save...
    sorry lemme be clear I did name is override.bg2data (just typed it incorrectly)
    catch6229 wrote: »
    sorry lemme be clear I did name is override.bg2data (just typed it incorrectly)

Could be the compression method then.
    Try using 7-zip and select 'no compression'...
    So does that mean whole mod configurations (including tlk files) could be installed as DLC archives, as long as they are packed into *.bg1data, *.bg2data or *.iwddata files? On desktop systems home:/ is a valid DLC directory.

@argent77
    So, I've just tried that with the latest version (v4.1) of your DLC Builder and it didn't work (game: BG1:EE).
    I selected option #1 ("workshop/test-dlc.mod"), then zipped it ("workshop.zip"), renamed it to "workshop.bg1data" and imported it to my iOS device. The app launched fine but mod files are not recognized by the game / changes didn't take effect... The same holds for the other options ("dlc/test-dlc.zip" and "test-dlc.zip"...)

Could it be due to how "7-Zip" creates the archive?
    StummvonBordwehr
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Zip creation has not changed in the last couple of releases. I have removed the centralfix pass, however. You could manually run it on the created zip archive and see if it changes anything.