Skip to content

HD splash screen override

I play nwn in standard HD 1280 x720 and always hated how nwn splash screen worked (you had to cut you image a certain way and the sizing was small in relation to screen. So I figured I had some time so looked into it and found by adjusting the mdl splash screens sizing and finding the option menu mdl naming that I could default it to HD resolution and fix the need to cut images for the splashing screen. With this override I can just grab any HD or higher image and just rename it and save it as tga file in the override and easy custom splash screens. This will save custom backdrop makers work and easy the stress of pixel line errors and allow module making to include custom splash screen with module and or players to just grab a cool image for their nwn splash screen. I will post some images later.

Comments

• ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    Ok Uploaded it to the vault. Enjoy.
    LINK
    Updated 2.0 : fixed a few pixel off on calculation and add a 800x600 version so this should cover most resolution people play the game at and add compatible original splash screen.
  • CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
    Looks great especially the dragon, but I don't see the dragon in the vault rar.
    edited September 2019
    Yeah, I forgot to add it to the samples. You could just grab it off the net an convert it to a tga and slap it in. Either way I put a it on there with a few more examples. (ok updated with more samples, including the dragon one pictured here)
    Thanks!
    edited September 2019
    How do you correct for UI scaling = 2? I opened it in Gimp and played around with the canvas size to get it to about fit right.
    9sjbolycn6fx.png

1920x1080 UI scale 2? Yeah I would need to make a special one for that. I started with the most common lower ones. In the next update I will release sets for each resolution. The UI scalling is doubling the mdl not the texture so that through it off. I can put it up on the vault in a second.
    edited September 2019
    Thanks! Now grabbin a bunch of images off Wallpaper Flare, looking great:
    qv31fxl07khz.jpg

r2f8w2aahkyu.jpg

So after playing with splash screen the button placement was bothering me so I did some more digging and came up with this.
    caaoqix5ffkk.jpg
    @ShadowM Will you be posting the code for that? I was thinking it might be nice to be able to just move the whole menu off to one side but spreading it around like that is probably even even better for most images.
    Ok, updated to version 3.0 with the other resolutions.

Thoughts on BD future update. When BD moves to full UI scaling they need to not connect it to the splash screen size or will cause all sorts of problems with this override. UI is just that for the user interface of buttons, chat bars etc... If they wanted they could just tie all the resolutions here to switch to each folder of the resolutions on resolution switching. They also could make a directory where splash screen images could be stored add a drop down selection in options for selection by players (with options of random, rotation etc.. and add other format support like jpeg) and add in .ini/.2da to point to that folder in other places(to save on space and flexibility). They could easily put in a overlay image of BD information if they want that.

@Calgacus I doing some more testing before releasing it and as mentioned about the only real problem is the UI scaling being connected to the screen resolution.
    With the latest patch (8191) you can now just put your image into override with the name gui_pre_bknd3 this will work with all resolution setting (as far as my testing so far) there is a nwn enhanced overlay.
  • VivienneLVivienneL Member Posts: 52
    Amazing stuff! I had also played on and off with creating more splash screens and discovered your work a couple of weeks ago and played around with it too but now with patch 8191, things will not be so complicated anymore! We can all add any custom picture we like and the new neverwinter logo is also in there so we won't have to add it to the picture; it'll just show up.
    ShadowM wrote: »
    So after playing with splash screen the button placement was bothering me so I did some more digging and came up with this.
    caaoqix5ffkk.jpg

Have you shared the code for moving the buttons around too? I can't find it on the vault.
    edited March 2020
    @VivienneL
    No I have not released it yet, sorry. I got busy finishing up on my next update to my base module(which was suppose to be done like two week ago) that it got shoved to the side. I should be done with my base update this weekend. I will release it then and will include a sample file for it and instructions on how to move the buttons around to your liking. Here something to tide you over til then. :smile:
    96j29lx0r2eu.jpg
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    Aribeth is still the face of the game. Officially they should use some amazing Aribeth art for the main menu screen. The one we have now is a bit goofy with the grumpy looking beholder, fairies and kobolds and whatnot.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited March 2020
    Oh, dear. Do I detect a case of Neraidaphobia @1varangian?

TR
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    1varangian wrote: »
    Aribeth is still the face of the game. Officially they should use some amazing Aribeth art for the main menu screen. The one we have now is a bit goofy with the grumpy looking beholder, fairies and kobolds and whatnot.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/704450/discussions/0/1735506744732910649/
    1varangian wrote: »

I've added another one with Aribeth on my projects page on the Neverwinter Vault (there are others there too):

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/custom-menus
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    These are all really cool. :)

How about that official UI re-design, Beamdog? Has it been cancelled? I'd love to see what Beamdog could do. Animated backgrounds, perhaps.
    @VivienneL
    The GUI button move tutorial is up on the vault. I just put it under the same project with the splash screen stuff. I also voted on your project, I thought I did that earlier. Great stuff.
    LINK
    ShadowM wrote: »
    @VivienneL
    The GUI button move tutorial is up on the vault. I just put it under the same project with the splash screen stuff. I also voted on your project, I thought I did that earlier. Great stuff.
    LINK

Thanks!