Skip to content

[Mod] Ascalon's Questpack (Kerzenburgforum)

Comments

• jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    @ArthasII He is in CentralBaldursGate at [1354.3081]. He will only show if you haven't visited this area before installing the mod.
    [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    It's a nice little quest. Once you've done it a few times you'll probably lose interest, but it's good for a few playthroughs. :)
  • kalekale Member Posts: 53
    Can anyone tell me where Aaron (the failed picnic quest) is supposed to be? I cleared out the whole gnoll fortress, but he isn't anywhere...
    He should be in one of the pits in the west. I think it's the smaller one where you need to go down the steps to come to the area where the pit is.
    jastey wrote: »
    He should be in one of the pits in the west. I think it's the smaller one where you need to go down the steps to come to the area where the pit is.

Thanks - I checked again and he wasn't in any of the pits. I ended spawning him via the console which worked perfectly fine.
    Hm, ok strange - hope you won't have any other problems of the sort.
    edited March 2020
    kale wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where Aaron (the failed picnic quest) is supposed to be? I cleared out the whole gnoll fortress, but he isn't anywhere...
    Just wondering if you have done all tyhe things that you need to do before going there.
    1) Speaking to his mother in Nashkel. (Mrs. Brunnsten)
    2) Speaking to Barin (A ranger) in Nashkel Temple
    3) Spoken to Marina near the waterfall (She is only there at night the first time that you speak to her)

If you have done all those he should be in the pit.
    z1qg38fsu2rr.jpg

The bottom of the stairs.
    jastey
    kale wrote: »
    Just wondering if you have done all tyhe things that you need to do before going there.
    1) Speaking to his mother in Nashkel. (Mrs. Brunnsten)
    2) Speaking to Barin (A ranger) in Nashkel Temple
    3) Spoken to Marina near the waterfall (She is only there at night the first time that you speak to her)

If you have done all those he should be in the pit.

The bottom of the stairs.

I think I did all the steps? The last thing I did before heading to the fortress was speaking to the ghost and the ghost telling me that she was missing the ring... he was definitely not in that pit. But, again, I spawned him and could finish the quest without any problems. Don't know whey he didn't spawn as intended.
  • LechloanLechloan Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2020
    is there another option to get Belladonna than the Merchant in the Carnival? Apparently another mod changed the merchant and he isn't selling any.
    edited April 2020
    I think that you might get some when you do the Baldur's isle quest. I usually find that I get more than I need. However, just because it has the same name, doesn't mean that it is the same item. I have been caught by that with other quests. Two scrolls with the same name and which look the same are sometimes different!
    https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Belladonna_Flowers
    However, I always use Guril Berries. Available in Beregost.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Hello,
    how can one enter warehouse in Serpents of Abbathor quest? My journal entry says that I need a key to enter, but can't find one anywhere.
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    I searched Mulahey's corpse and didn't find anything new, so I've waited till I got to Baldurs Gate South West. I've found a dwarf who won't talk to any of my party as it doesn't include a dwarf, but can't find anything else new. How do I start the Serpents of Abbathor quest?
    @kiwidoc The first hint is a letter you should find in Mulahey's cave on a dead dwarf at [583.831], the item name is "ACQLET01".
    The mod needs to be installed before you enter Mulahey's hideout for the first time for this to show.

@Artona sorry I missed your question somehow. You should meet Draglon in the Undercellars. He gives the key to the warehouse.
    edited June 2020
    @jastey Thanks for the prompt reply :) I went back to the Mulahey fight. First time round I just searched Mulaher and the chest - didn't spot the dwarf as he was hidded behind my team.
    I imported the letter, and went to Beregost at night, but no sign on a dwarf by the obelisk. Possibly too much time has passed

I'm going to do another runthrough when I've4 finished this so I'll make sure to do the Serpents of Abbathor quest then. I've really enjoyed the rest of the quests - many thanks for offering support in English, otherwise I couldn't have used this great mod.
    Post edited by kiwidoc on
    The contact Tarash at Beregost obelisk is only available at night (20:30 to 6:29) and in chapters 4 and 5.

Thanks for the kind words!
    Wise_Grimwald
    edited July 2020
    I'm currently going through a bad patch where my brain is sadly performiong well below par, and my mouse hand isn't always working. I am struggling with a section of the Serpents of Abbathor quest.
    I have reached the mines, but am not doing very well there :( I am especially struggling with the skeletal archers as I have a team which is heavy on magic and distance attacks. I can't react fast enough, and am not very good at coming up with alternative strategies, so I'd like to take a break, and come back refreshed after doing some more familiar quests.
    Is it ok to have a break between getting the info about Nashkel from the SE warehouse and actually going to the mines? If it is, how long can the break be?
    @kiwidoc I don't see any timer of sorts that would make it necessary to do the quest in a certain amount of time. I admittedly never played the quest myself, though.
    Good wishes for your health!
    Wise_Grimwald
    @jastey - I'll wait till I'm having a better day and try again ... There's always the "EAsy" button (Blushes and hangs head in shame)
    There is no shame in playing on easy! (Says the person who likes playing on easy. ;) )
    Wise_Grimwald
    Yay - I succeeded on "normal"
    Turns out Cultists & Shadows are a lot easier for my team than skeleton archers!

Anyway I finished the mines and ...
    spoke to Emerson. I did what he said and rested in Nashkel. When I went back to the mines he told me to speak to the mayor - but I can't find him

Does anyone know where the Mayor of Nashkel is in th elater stages of the game?
    edited July 2020
    Please quote what exactly he said? I can't find the reference in the mod. What is the area code of the area Emerson is standing in when he tells you that?
    I think what should have happened is after clearing the mines and talking to Emerson and resting in Nashkel, is that the mine is reversed to the normal state. I think the line about talking to Ghastkill is not from the mod but a hiccup because you are stuck with the quest mine areas for some reason, or it is an original line that doesn't make sense now.
    The mod updates to v3.0!

Version 3.0 comes with various bugfixes and a Russian version by Arkie!

Changes:
    -Russian version added, by Arkie
    -Gnolls should not spawn BGII loot.
    -corrected class checks in ACUITM.baf
    -Torben should go to Aiwell after he is cured (changed EscapeAreaMove() to SetGlobal+EscapeAreaDestroy(5) und CreateCreature im Areascript)
    -typo corrections
    -"A Home for the Gibberlings": journal entry gives better info about where Geraldo's house is
    -"A Lost Son": corrected readme (Aphriel is in CloakwoodLodge area, not Bandit Camp)
    -"A Halfling among the Eyeless": Bunger should not loop his dialogue at the exit of the Unseeing Eye Area but go to his mother if talked to.
    -"The Serpents of Abbathor": journal entry in Mulahey's Cave when taking the letter should be set for all games.
    -added folder libiconv-1.9.2-1-src.7z with iconv licence info
    -infer_charset corrected to infer_charsets
    -corrected download link in ac_quest.ini
    -removed empty file ACQCUT04.baf
    Wise_GrimwaldAaemforevermegamike15Timbo0o0o0
  • The_Baffled_KingThe_Baffled_King Member Posts: 147
    @jastey - Thanks for maintaining this mod. I have a couple of questions about the mod that I'm hoping you (or someone else who has played it) can answer. Thanks in advance for any help given.

The Lost Son

I'm unable to get Perwell to leave the Cloakwood Mines area with me. He follows my CHARNAME to the edge of the area, but he is not present upon my arrival in the area I have travelled to. I've tried reloading to slightly earlier saves, tried travelling from the Cloakwood Mines to several different areas, and tried reloading to get a journey in which I am not 'waylaid by enemies', but Perwell disappears regardless of what I do. If, on the other hand, I tell him to stay put while I fetch Aphriel, Aphriel tells me off for my decision when I talk to her outside the Friendly Arm Inn. Is there something I am missing, or is this a bug? If the latter, are there known compatibility issues with any other mods?

Of Wolves and Men

The Guril Berries are sold at Feldepost's Inn, but I could not find Belladonna Flowers sold by any inn, tavern, temple, merchant, or any other store reachable before Chapter 5. I even tried wandering around the High Hedge area with the tab key pressed down to see if some appeared as pickup items, but no joy there either. I ran out of patience with the quest ages ago, and I recently used the cheat console to summon some Belladonna Flowers. Am I really meant to wait until the Isle of Balduran to pick these up? If not, where are the Belladonna Flowers meant to be? The inventories of the various stores look somewhat... different, with the mods I am currently trying out, but I'm not automatically assuming a mod conflict because the Guril Berries were present despite changes to the inventory at Feldepost's Inn.

Flopsy

Is this the rabbit in the cave in the South Beregost Road area (known in-game as 'Jumper' rather than Flopsy)? If so, are either of the items "A Bag of Turnips" or "A Bag of Grain" meant to affect this quest in any way? If so, how? I've tried speaking to Ugh first, and to Kessy first, both with and without these items, and their presence doesn't seem to affect the dialogue in any way. If these items don't relate to this mod, do you know what they are for? I've been lugging them around with me throughout Chapters 1-4 and I am yet to find a use for them.

On a more humorous note - I spoke to the Rabbit Breeder at the Nashkel Carnival before speaking to Kessy, which of course meant that the conversation had to end with CHARNAME stating "Thank you, I do not think we need a rabbit on our travels". CHARNAME was however being a little economical with the truth, given that she had her rabbit familiar stashed in her backpack...

Also:

1. Are you accepting feedback about the mod? The reason I ask is that you list yourself as the maintainer of the mod rather than its creator, so I don't know if that leaves you with the freedom to change it at all even if someone made a suggestion that you thought was a very good one.

2. If you're interested in feedback regarding the other mods you're involved with which I currently have installed (Lure of the Sirine's Call; Brage's Redemption; BGQE; NTotSC; Endless BG1), where should I post that feedback?
    edited September 2020
    @The_Baffled_King
    -Perwell not following is a bug. I wouldn't know of any mod conflicts and will look into this when time allows.
    -Belladonna flowers are indeed only to be found at the Werwolf Island. If you want to solve th quest earlier you could use the Guril Berries and quicksave before using them.
    -The ingame name of the rabbit is Jumper for the English version indeed. I will adjust the names in the readme. Neither the bag of turnips nor the bag of grain seems to be part of Ascalon's Questpack and I don't know where they are from.
    Rabbit familiar - lol, maybe I should change the phrase to "pet rabbit" or something, then it would still be true. Theoretically the quest could be changed so that a rabbit could be bought even without knowing anything of the Jumper quest at all, but that's a chage that would require lots of tweaking, new dialogues, and testing so I guess I won't add this quest path.

To your further questions:
    1. I am only maintainer so I won't make content changes unless it's a bug or a heavy oversight.
    2. Also for answer 1: I am always interested in feedback and criticism, even if I might not consider changing the mods. It's always best to give feedback in an original mod thread here at BeamDog's or in the forums / mod threads at G3 or SHS EDIT: or PPG of course.
    edited September 2020
    @jastey - Thanks for the quick response!

Re. Perwell: If you want the details of my game and mod setup to help you with any troubleshooting, let me know whenever you're ready.

Re. Belladonna Flowers: Yep, that's true. I just wanted to be certain that I wasn't missing something due to install error/mod conflict/player error.

Re. Jumper: Flopsy is a fine name for a rabbit in any language! : )

Re. Turnips, etc: Thanks for the clarification. The description of 'A Bag of Turnips' reads "There are enough even to satisfy an ogre's appetite", so I think you can understand why I was wondering if it had something to do with Ugh, perhaps even during a later encouter. This kind of confusion is definitely a hazard for players installing multiple mods that are new to them at the same time.

Re. Rabbit Breeder: Yeah, "pet rabbit" would be a neat fix. But, to be clear, I only mentioned it because it was a niche interaction that I thought was pretty funny. If anybody tried to claim that the dialogue was a 'design error', my eyes would roll so hard I'd be dizzy for days.

Also, I wasn't trying to suggest that the quest should be tweaked to allow CHARNAME to buy a rabbit before speaking to Kessy and Ugh; the interaction works fine as is, and it's consistent with how BG1 handles characters that are relevant only for one specific quest. For what it's worth, I think that the inital interaction with Kessy could be improved, but overall I really do love this quest.

I'll start then by giving a bit of feedback regarding Brage's Redemption over at its G3 modpage. Cheers again for the clarifications!
    @The_Baffled_King
    The description of 'A Bag of Turnips' reads "There are enough even to satisfy an ogre's appetite", so I think you can understand why I was wondering if it had something to do with Ugh
    That is very true. I made a quick search inside the mod folder for "bag of" and didn't get any hit, and also don't get any hit for "turnip" in Ascalon's Questpack. The "bag of turnips" sound awfully familiar, but I just can't put my finger on where I saw it before.
    I wasn't trying to suggest that the quest should be tweaked
    Nono, that was just an idea I had when reading your comment because it's a questpath that didn't occur to me before.

Looking foreward to more feeback!
    edited September 2020
    @jastey - Before I forget, I want to mention two specific instances where the dialogue was actively misleading, as I think such instances qualify as errors rather than matters of taste. I do have a couple of suggestions for simple dialogue/naming fixes if you're interested, but for now I'll just highlight where the orginal dialogue led me astray:

(1) Upon returning to Nashkel to tell Aaron and his mother that Marina is a ghost, the dialogue ends with Aaron saying something like "I'll be at the windmill if you need me". After helping the ghost, I took Aaron at his word and went to the windmill to meet him, but he wasn’t there. While it didn't take me too long to find Aaron outside the Belching Dragon Tavern, honestly, if he is not to be found at the windmill later on, there is no good reason for him to mention the windmill at all. In a work of fiction it would be a conservation of detail issue, and in-game it is unhelpful to the player.

(2) When found in the Gnoll Stronghold, Aaron says that 'the Gnoll Chieftain' took his ring from him. In fact, the ring is carried by a gnoll called 'Gnoll Boss', who is chilling with 4 'Gnoll Bodyguard' in a corner atop one of the towers. If Aaron identifies the gnoll that took his ring then, from a game design perspective, the next step in the quest should be to find that particular gnoll.

The diagloue is particularly confusing because there is already a gnoll named 'Gnoll Chieftain' in the Gnoll Stronghold, close to Dynaheir’s prison pit. In my game, I had already killed the Gnoll Chieftain and looted his corpse before I found Aaron, and so Aaron’s dialogue made me think that there was a bug/install error/compatibility issue.

For me, the issue was compounded because the Gnoll Boss is tucked away in a corner (the party has to walk around the corner of the tower to see him, having already killed one group of xvarts/gnolls close to the top of the stairs). I think it is easily possible to miss the Gnoll Boss, rescue/kill Dynaheir, and leave the Gnoll Stronghold in the belief that there is some problem with Aaron’s quest, as I very nearly did.

While I'm on the subject, adding a second ‘gnoll whose name makes him sound like he is in charge of stuff’ seemed inconsistent with the original setting, as the Gnoll Chieftain is already present as boss monster in charge. Also, the name ‘Gnoll Boss’ smacks of a gamer creating a boss monster for their mod quest, but not thinking beyond gamer terminology when naming the character. Please understand that I'm not saying this because I want to nitpick on an internet forum; I'm saying this because it's what came to mind when I encountered the Gnoll Boss, which kind of took me out of the game.
    Wise_Grimwald
    @The_Baffled_King
    Aaron not remaining at the Windmill but returning to the Belching Dragon once the party leaves the area or rests is a bug I frustratingly couldn't solve. I think it is some engine things (I know that the area files accept two sets of coordinates, one where the character will be at first and another where they will move after the first rest, but I don't see this for Aaron or how it would come to that if he is moved to the area by script). I will "fix" this by changing the dialogue and letting him remain at the Belching Dragon in the next version. (At Kerzenburgforum we joked that the poor man needed a drink.)

About the "Gnoll Boss", that's a mismatch and I will change it to "Gnoll Chieftain". I do not mind there being two Chieftains (what do I know about how Gnolls are organized) but I am considering changing Aaron's dialogue slightly so that he just tells about "Gnolls" having taken his ring. This way, hopefully it will be clear that the player needs to go on searching if the ring isn't with the Gnolls near Dynaheir.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Wise_Grimwald
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    The "bag of turnips" and "bag of grain" are from the BG1 NPC project. They're one option for resolving one of Xan's encounters - you can get the encounter without having Xan with you, but the turnip/grain option only applies if he's in the party. A member of the Jansen family is involved.
    jasteyThe_Baffled_KingEmraSaef