Skip to content

How to convert from Mac App Store version to Beamdog version?

LookToWindwardLookToWindward Member Posts: 179
Hi,

I've taken full advantage of the Beamdog sale and replaced my Mac App Store versions with Beamdog and additionally BG:SOD.

For BG1 (no SOD) I've got a copy of my character file and save game from the Mac App Store version which I'd like to use in the Beamdog version. So my first questions are:

Where are the Save and Character file folders in the Beadog versions?

I have two mods installed on the Mac App Store version, namely "Northen Tales of the Sword Coast" and "The Stone of Askavar". I obviously have the reinstall these, but again, I'm not sure of the details of the folders I need to copy things into to get it to install.

How does BG:SOD jive with all this? It seems to be a separate app with the same name? Will installing the mods/save games work in SOD? Do I just have to import my character into SOD?

What should I do with the Mac App Store versions? Can I run both (not at same time and not that I think I need to) but I don't what to delete the App Store versions before I'm back in the same place with the new versions.

I can't wait to get back to playing BG1, so any help appreciated!

All the Best
Dave

Post edited by LookToWindward on

Comments

• LookToWindwardLookToWindward Member Posts: 179
    edited April 2020
    I've been digging around and I see there is now one engine with 3 modes, BG1, BG2 and IWD and SOD uses this engine. I'm guessing that SOD melds into the original BG1 content, is this correct? IOW, does SOD use the data files from the BG1 folder or does it copy them from BG1 to SOD or what?

I'm also guessing that I need to install the Mods into the SOD folder (the one with the chitin.key file), is this correct?

I can also import my character ok into SOD, but I'm stuck on restoring the Save file. At the moment I have copy of the Save File from BG1 from the Mac App Store. I have a folder called "000000071-FlameDancer-12", where do I need to put it in order to load it into SOD?

Thanks a lot
    Dave

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Go into your "Documents" folder

In it open the appropriate folder for the game you are playing (in this case, "Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition")

There you will see folders "save" and "sodsave". In "save" you will find all your BG:EE saves. Your save is from BG:EE, so in-game you will have to load it while still in BG1. The main menu of BG will have big icons - by clicking those you'll switch between BG1, the Black Pits and SoD. To move the character into SoD, you can load the final save in BG:EE (the save created after you kill Sarevok) and it will automatically transfer you to SoD.

As for installing mods, you have to install them into the main BG:EE+SoD folder with the chitin.key file.
    edited April 2020
    Thanks a lot. I've found the "Save" folder for BG1 and have copied my "000000071-FlameDancer-12" folder into it.

So if I understand you correctly, I now have to install my mods into the "/Applications/00806" (SOD) folder?

I have two Baldur's Gate App files, one in "/Applications/00766" and one in "/Applications/00806", which one do I load the Save into?

One other thing, I remember seeing a post on how to install Mods into each of the different versions of the game (Mac AppStore, Beamdog, Steam, etc), but I can't seem to find it again now. Do you happen to know where the this post lives? Obviously I mean for the Beamdog/Mac version.

Getting there!

Cheers
    Dave
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Ok, great Mods into 00806 (SOD) and the Saved Game folder "000000071-FlameDancer-12" into the "Documents/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/save" folder? (Just double checking, seems odd not to put it into "sodsave"?) Then I run the SOD version of the game and load the Save file, correct?

Yes, that's guide, thanks a lot.
    Hi, tried all that and.......

It worked! Thanks so much, the graphics are much better in the SOD version!

If I understand correctly, all the content from BG1 is now copied into the SOD folder, so I just need to install things there from now on, is this right?

Thanks again
    Yes, this is correct.
    edited April 2020
    It seems I spoke too soon, for some reason the mods are not working correctly, its hard to tell exactly what is and what isn't working, but the World Map is definitely screwed up.

I'm wondering if this is some difference between the Mac Store and Beamdog versions of the mods, although I've installed the same versions as from the Mac Store and also a later version of NTotSC.

I'm also wondering if have the Mac Store Version installed is causing problems or maybe I need a different version of Weidu?

If I start again from a new game I won't be able to tell immediacy if the NTotSC is working, because it's not until way later in the game that it gets triggered, I really don't want to start again and then have it not work!

I'm beginning to wish that I'd never started this now as really not sure how to proceed.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Dave