Skip to content

Familiar's hit chances

I am playing BG:EE on Legacy of Bhaal difficulty as a Fighter/Mage/Thief. I have a familiar (Pseudo Dragon) with a base THAC0 of 15 (as said in the manual)
My current THAC0 is 10 with main hand and 14 with off-hand.
But in fact my familiar has a way better chance to hit the same target.
He has a Hit with the same (or even lower) attack roll where I get Miss (see screenshot attached)
I failed to understand how it works...
We have the same damage type - slashing, so my only suggestion is that the dragon might somehow igrore the enemy's AC...
Is there any hidden mechanics for the familiars?
tbsajf8sbsx9.jpg

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited May 2020
    Huh, that DOES look weird. You're character is fatigued, which comes with a penalty to a few things, and I'm 90% certain hit chance is one of those things. That being said, I have no idea if that is applied to rolls, or adjusted after an attack roll.

*edit*

Its possible that the penalty is applied to rolls, which makes the most sense to me, but that the penalty is not shown in the default feedback. You can check this by going into options, under feedback and check the box for "additional feedback in log" (or some similar sounding option. Then fight another enemy, and if you see a negative applied to your attacks rolls, then we've found the culprit!
  • TaelisTaelis Member Posts: 4
    Thanks ThacoBell
    Yes, fatigue does impact the rolls, however it simply subtracts points from the THAC0 additive to the atack roll
    When I was fatigued I had + 2 attack bonus with an off-hand
    When not fatigued: +3
    But still the flying bastard hits the target with the same attack roll where I miss )))dy3qkh73ql8z.jpg
    The familiar gets a hit with attack roll 15 and I have a Miss with 19...
    Same monster, not fatigued
    And BTW I failed to turn-on more feedback information. Looks like the attack rolls is a maximum combat details you can get in EE
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Taelis wrote: »
    I am playing BG:EE on Legacy of Bhaal difficulty
    LoB creature's receive a -5 bonus to THAC0, that includes familiars.
    Grond0Balrog99ThacoBell
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited May 2020
    kjeron wrote: »
    Taelis wrote: »
    I am playing BG:EE on Legacy of Bhaal difficulty
    LoB creature's receive a -5 bonus to THAC0, that includes familiars.

The familiar also benefits from the LoB -11 AC adjustment. Unlike you, hits on it also only do single, not double damage. Hence the familiar is far better than you at tanking relatively weak creatures - just watch out for stronger enemies that are capable of one-shot kills on it ...
    edited May 2020
    Ok, so his +0 attack roll bonus should be read as +5
    Makes sense, but still strange that it is not shown in the feedback
    Will look more carefully to the attack rolls calculation to see if the gap between his Hit and my Miss is really 5
    But yeah, looks like this is the reason. Thanks

If it wasn't for his poor damage, this Dragon could easily end the game solo...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Ah, I missed that it was on LoB difficulty. Somehow.