Skip to content

BG2EE Crash within 5 min

I'm in the Underdark on my way to fight the mindflayers for the Drow, keep fighting the 2 mage, giant, skelton and wardog party on the way because the game crashes in the middle of battle or immediately after. I get the blue spinny wheel of doom and am asked if I want to wait for the game to respond, and if I say 'yes', nothing ever happens and I have to hit esc then click 'no'.

I'm using a bootcamped 2012 macbook pro running Windows 10, 1TB hd, Intel Core i7.

I'm not the savviest computer person, so am hoping for a solution. My game is unplayable at this point, which during quarantine is a big bummer.

Thanks!

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,830
    Does the problem only occur there, or does it occur when you load another save? If it's specific to this spot, you can upload the save here so people can take a look and see if something might be causing trouble.

If it's something else, then we start looking at broader issues. I've had occasional problems with crashes on my system (2015 Macbook Pro, running the Mac version of the game), and as far as I can tell those have mostly been about the machine overheating - if I let it cool down and don't run other energy hogs, the game runs fine.
  • brandoliniumbrandolinium Member Posts: 5
    I would love to send that info in, but can't login to the forum from my laptop with the info on it. I created this account last night on my phone, now when trying to log in (even clicking the url from the email confirmation sent last night), I get a message saying "No user was found with that email address" lol. What is going on?!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @brandolinium In order to log into the forum, you don't need to enter the email - you can enter your username, brandolinium, and password.
    Not sure what's up with my account, but I created a new one with the same username and email.

I'm attaching a couple of saves, because I tried using another one and the same thing happened in the same place, same fight. Not sure what's up, but appreciate the offer of help. Given my ignorance of things, it's possible I"m doing something wrong, but I definitely have no idea what it could be. I'm playing vanilla, no mods or anything.

Thanks.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I loaded your saves and played through this fight several times. I could not find anything that would cause the game to crash. I even did some experimenting on my own looking for specific causes based on some hypotheses I had, but found nothing. My best guess is that this is caused by something specific to your system. If you are willing/able, it may help for you to do some experimenting of your own. Take careful notice of what is going on in the fight at the time the game crashes. If the same kind of thing happens each time, then maybe you are on to something.
    Thanks, I'll give it a go, and if needed, back up to an older save and go through again. Will let you know what I find out, if anything.
    Just wanted to say that I did the fight again, this time I didn't try to polymorph self during battle, and it worked alright, and I've been able to progress past this spot without issues. Don't get why that would cause a problem, but it seems like it has been solved.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,830
    Polymorph self? OK, now things are making a bit more sense.

Mixing two or more polymorph/animation change effects on the same character is practically a guaranteed crash. In this case, your entire party is already under an animation change (Adalon's illusion), so trying to polymorph a character creates the conflict. I believe the game somehow gets into an infinite loop trying to figure out which effect applies, causing the spinny wheel of doom (blue for you, multicolored for me).

You should be able to go back to using polymorph effects without crashing the game once you're done with Ust Natha and Adalon undoes her illusion. At least, as long as you don't use too many of them.