Skip to content

[MOD] Siege of Dragonspear 2 Baldur's Gate2:EE Item Upgrade - v2.0.5 released!

Comments

• masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    Spoiler text to avoid, well, spoiling:
    Seems a bit odd to have the Shield of Egons located in Dorn's quest, no? I mean, if your PC is an Undead Hunter or a Priest of Lathander, wouldn't you probably be rejecting Dorn on sight?
    ThacoBell
  • Daeros_TrollkillerDaeros_Trollkiller Member Posts: 325
    In response:
    Not really. Consider the NPC that has the shield, and that shield's upgrades. And there's more characters in the game than just your PC, ya know :)
  • ZeshinXZeshinX Member Posts: 88
    edited May 2020
    This is now an absolute must for all of my playthroughs. Thanks for this!

Thought I'd offer some feedback here. This is just that though, not a critique or an expectation of change to suit my personal tastes at all. :)

Bard Hat
    (not sure about upgraded version): Won't go into a Bag of Holding (note: the Bag of Holding in question was one added by a mod to Chateau Irenicus, I didn't try the one found in the Asylum Dungeon, since they have different contents). Same scenario with the Trollkiller ioun stone

Severance: Given the enormously slim pickings for a decent bastard sword in BG2 (aside from Foebane and Purifier for Paladins only), there's a lot more that can be done with this beyond making it a Foebane-light (especially given Severance can be upgraded twice compared to Foebane's once). Perhaps an alternate upgrade path to combine it with some of the earlier/middle BG2 blades that fall from consistent use later in the game (like Peridan, Namara, Daystar, Adjatha the Drinker, or Jhor the Bleeder). I would never use this, as-is, as opposed to Foebane, since Foebane achieves much the same with an ability that always triggers (and is enormously quick and easy to upgrade to +5 early in ToB). Given what can be done with The Burning Earth and Tongue of Acid, Severance needs some more love. Perhaps give it an evil or good alternate path for the second upgrade...combined with Soul Reaver for evil and Purifier for good. Keep it a bastard sword, for sure, and usable by any who meet an alignment requirement after the second upgrade (so no Blackguard or Paladin only restriction, just evil or good). Hell, you could combine it with Foebane or Fflar's Scabbard too! As a suggested absolute minimum, its drain/heal ability should trigger 100% of the time in its upgraded forms (Adjatha the Drinker does this already for 1 point for any creature type, 1d4 triggering per hit is hardly game breaking, especially given Foebane can wildly increase your total hit points during a battle and Severance limits you to your normal max...and enemy damage output by that point in the game will more than outclass 1d4 healing per hit...say a grandmaster with 5 attacks per round....5d4, so 20 hp max....with greater whirlwind...10d4, so 40 hp max....a Potion of Extra Healing and a Potion of Superior Healing...yes, it's good, but not THAT good since you're not going to hit max like that often...and compared to Foebane upping your max total during the battle at least...well, I suppose I'm overstating, but Severance needs some love!). ;)

Black Dragon Scales: A nice stand-alone suit for these would be interesting (since every other set of dragonscales offers a base suit, including your own added green scales). A plate or leather option would be good with this, since these are late-game acquisitions too. Used as strictly an upgrade component (granted for an armor or scroll) seems like a missed opportunity...I mean, c'mon...they're dragonscales. :p

Vorpal Dragon Blade: Might want to remove the 'Vorpal' in the name. It's not a vorpal sword since there's no chance for instant death. Perhaps 'Silver Dragon Blade' to tie it to the silver blade used. :)

Quiver of Void-Tipped Arrows: Including the on-hit effetcs of the void-tipped arrows in the description of the quiver would be convenient, rather than just saying it's an infinite supply of said arrows (makes sense when it's just +whatever arrows/bolts/bullets to leave out the stats, since they have no additional effects).

Anywho, just my 2 copper. Love me this mod and thank you very much for it! :D
    Post edited by ZeshinX on
    ZeshinX wrote: »
    This is now an absolute must for all of my playthroughs. Thanks for this!

Thought I'd offer some feedback here. This is just that though, not a critique or an expectation of change to suit my personal tastes at all. :)

Bard Hat
    (not sure about upgraded version): Won't go into a Bag of Holding (note: the Bag of Holding in question was one added by a mod to Chateau Irenicus, I didn't try the one found in the Asylum Dungeon, since they have different contents). Same scenario with the Trollkiller ioun stone

Severance: Given the enormously slim pickings for a decent bastard sword in BG2 (aside from Foebane and Purifier for Paladins only), there's a lot more that can be done with this beyond making it a Foebane-light (especially given Severance can be upgraded twice compared to Foebane's once). Perhaps an alternate upgrade path to combine it with some of the earlier/middle BG2 blades that fall from consistent use later in the game (like Peridan, Namara, Daystar, Adjatha the Drinker, or Jhor the Bleeder). I would never use this, as-is, as opposed to Foebane, since Foebane achieves much the same with an ability that always triggers (and is enormously quick and easy to upgrade to +5 early in ToB). Given what can be done with The Burning Earth and Tongue of Acid, Severance needs some more love. Perhaps give it an evil or good alternate path for the second upgrade...combined with Soul Reaver for evil and Purifier for good. Keep it a bastard sword, for sure, and usable by any who meet an alignment requirement after the second upgrade (so no Blackguard or Paladin only restriction, just evil or good). Hell, you could combine it with Foebane or Fflar's Scabbard too! As a suggested absolute minimum, its drain/heal ability should trigger 100% of the time in its upgraded forms (Adjatha the Drinker does this already for 1 point for any creature type, 1d4 triggering per hit is hardly game breaking, especially given Foebane can wildly increase your total hit points during a battle and Severance limits you to your normal max...and enemy damage output by that point in the game will more than outclass 1d4 healing per hit...say a grandmaster with 5 attacks per round....5d4, so 20 hp max....with greater whirlwind...10d4, so 40 hp max....a Potion of Extra Healing and a Potion of Superior Healing...yes, it's good, but not THAT good since you're not going to hit max like that often...and compared to Foebane upping your max total during the battle at least...well, I suppose I'm overstating, but Severance needs some love!). ;)

Black Dragon Scales: A nice stand-alone suit for these would be interesting (since every other set of dragonscales offers a base suit, including your own added green scales). A plate or leather option would be good with this, since these are late-game acquisitions too. Used as strictly an upgrade component (granted for an armor or scroll) seems like a missed opportunity...I mean, c'mon...they're dragonscales. :p

Vorpal Dragon Blade: Might want to remove the 'Vorpal' in the name. It's not a vorpal sword since there's no chance for instant death. Perhaps 'Silver Dragon Blade' to tie it to the silver blade used. :)

Quiver of Void-Tipped Arrows: Including the on-hit effetcs of the void-tipped arrows in the description of the quiver would be convenient, rather than just saying it's an infinite supply of said arrows (makes sense when it's just +whatever arrows/bolts/bullets to leave out the stats, since they have no additional effects).

Anywho, just my 2 copper. Love me this mod and thank you very much for it! :D

Thank you and I am very glad you like my mod! In response to some of your comments:
    Bard Hat - I checked into this, and I am certain the issue lies with the bag added by the other mod. The reason why: all containers in the game have an associated "store". This store has to be configured to allow and dis-allow the various categories of items in the game. The bard hat, and other non-helmet headgear introduced in SoD uses a new item category called "Hats". This was made to get around the very old bug of any piece of headgear stopping crits. Anyway... long story short, I am 100% certain the bag added by that mod has a store that doesn't allow hats. Easy to fix if you can reach out to the creator and let them know.

Severance +2 - yeah, I'm not too happy with it either, will likely be changed in an update

Black Dragon Scales - I might revisit this in a future update, but the description explains why something can't be made with just those scales (for now).

Vorpal Dragon Blade - I'll take this into consideration for a future update

Quiver of Void - Tipped Arrows - I followed the existing quivers of plenty's descriptions as a guideline for this one.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Haha. Just figured out something. The fact the mod "imports" SoD items into BG2 doesn't mean I have to buy/make sure I don't miss on them in SoD. Before, I had thought I needed to gather everything during SoD to be properly imported into BG2. ;)

Looking forward to finding all the items in BG2 when I get there (currently replying SoD).
    CaszidyStummvonBordwehrThacoBell
  • CaszidyCaszidy Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 299
    Caszidy wrote: »
    @Daeros_Trollkiller
    Hi, I can't explain myself, how much I love this mod.
    It appears to be a mandatory install for every future playthrough.

However I run into little issue:
    I really love the Storm Pike +2 transformation into the Maelstrom Axe, however with the second upgrade where Cromwell uses Hammer of Thunderbolts and Crom Fayer scroll, the additional effect of cloudburst kinda makes the Axe unusable in populated areas, because it causes damage not only to enemies but also to party NPCs and even the neutral NPCs such as citizens - which you know kind of harm your reputation :D
    I am not sure if this was intended as samo kind of "balance" feature, but if not I would suggest substitute the cloudburst effect with something less invasive/target only oriented. Otherwise I will remain in first upgrade in my next playthrough.

Greetings, and thank you for the compliment! I am very happy you enjoy my mod.

I was just curious if you actually used the axe in a populated area and had the effect hit/kill non-hostile NPC's? If so, could you share with me where it was?

The maelstrom effect should only be hitting hostiles. It should not be hitting your party members or non-hostile NPCs.

After reading this, I loaded up a clean install, went to athkatla, and proc'd the axe on party members near a group of NPCs... I let it proc several times, and it worked as intended (didn't hit any non-hostiles), so I am very curious about your particular situation.

Well then it must be an issue with my game/install.
    I have a lot of other mods installed so it will be really tough to identify where is the problem.
    However I can tell that in my game the maelstrom effect hurts also all of my party members (Jaheira, Haer Dalis, Yeslick NPC mod and Evandra NPC mod). It also hurt other NPCs for example the Radiant heart knights in the paladin quest line where your character is sended to aid the knights in the fight agaisnt Sylithians in Umar hills near the Mimic cave. That was a moment where I realize it first because the knights turns hostile after the maelstrom effect.

So sorry for bringing this up, the problem is somewhere on my side :wink:

Please, don't apologize for bringing it up, I appreciate any and all feedback regarding my mod, as it helps me to improve it.

If you have the opportunity, would you mind doing a clean install of BG2:EE and this mod by itself and load up a save you can use to test again? I'd like to know the results so we can determine if it really is caused by other mods you have installed or not.

Man I am sorry, I am gonna sound selfish but I play on Android tablet and getting mods installed or uninstalled is so much complicated and so much pain, that I would really like to not doing clean install and than reinstall.
    I can try it after I will finish the current playthrough thou.
    I am really sorry. o:)

@Daeros_Trollkiller - Hi again, so I tried a little tinkering with the problem I mentioned before, but came to no conclusion. I really can't find the pattern of the behaviour. The maelstrom effect turns out to be hurting neutral NPCs only in the Paladin's quest line in the fight against Sylithians in the Umar hills near the Mimic cave. In other areas every neutral NPC was safe.
    However my party members still getting injured by maelstrom effect anytime it occurs.
    So sorry for not solving this, maybe it's simply problem only in my game, when no one else reported this ;)
    Nevermind - thanks again for this great mod! :+1:
    @Daeros_Trollkiller
    Hi, I can't explain myself, how much I love this mod.
    It appears to be a mandatory install for every future playthrough.

However I run into little issue:
    I really love the Storm Pike +2 transformation into the Maelstrom Axe, however with the second upgrade where Cromwell uses Hammer of Thunderbolts and Crom Fayer scroll, the additional effect of cloudburst kinda makes the Axe unusable in populated areas, because it causes damage not only to enemies but also to party NPCs and even the neutral NPCs such as citizens - which you know kind of harm your reputation :D
    I am not sure if this was intended as samo kind of "balance" feature, but if not I would suggest substitute the cloudburst effect with something less invasive/target only oriented. Otherwise I will remain in first upgrade in my next playthrough.

Greetings, and thank you for the compliment! I am very happy you enjoy my mod.

I was just curious if you actually used the axe in a populated area and had the effect hit/kill non-hostile NPC's? If so, could you share with me where it was?

The maelstrom effect should only be hitting hostiles. It should not be hitting your party members or non-hostile NPCs.

After reading this, I loaded up a clean install, went to athkatla, and proc'd the axe on party members near a group of NPCs... I let it proc several times, and it worked as intended (didn't hit any non-hostiles), so I am very curious about your particular situation.

Well then it must be an issue with my game/install.
    I have a lot of other mods installed so it will be really tough to identify where is the problem.
    However I can tell that in my game the maelstrom effect hurts also all of my party members (Jaheira, Haer Dalis, Yeslick NPC mod and Evandra NPC mod). It also hurt other NPCs for example the Radiant heart knights in the paladin quest line where your character is sended to aid the knights in the fight agaisnt Sylithians in Umar hills near the Mimic cave. That was a moment where I realize it first because the knights turns hostile after the maelstrom effect.

So sorry for bringing this up, the problem is somewhere on my side :wink:

Please, don't apologize for bringing it up, I appreciate any and all feedback regarding my mod, as it helps me to improve it.

If you have the opportunity, would you mind doing a clean install of BG2:EE and this mod by itself and load up a save you can use to test again? I'd like to know the results so we can determine if it really is caused by other mods you have installed or not.

Man I am sorry, I am gonna sound selfish but I play on Android tablet and getting mods installed or uninstalled is so much complicated and so much pain, that I would really like to not doing clean install and than reinstall.
    I can try it after I will finish the current playthrough thou.
    I am really sorry. o:)

@Daeros_Trollkiller - Hi again, so I tried a little tinkering with the problem I mentioned before, but came to no conclusion. I really can't find the pattern of the behaviour. The maelstrom effect turns out to be hurting neutral NPCs only in the Paladin's quest line in the fight against Sylithians in the Umar hills near the Mimic cave. In other areas every neutral NPC was safe.
    However my party members still getting injured by maelstrom effect anytime it occurs.
    So sorry for not solving this, maybe it's simply problem only in my game, when no one else reported this ;)
    Nevermind - thanks again for this great mod! :+1:

Hard to say, I can't test it out on Android, so I'm not sure whats happening there. Perhaps those NPC's have a special flag set that I'm not aware of. I would advise treating it the same as other AoE spells in that particular situation.
    Caszidy
    edited May 2020
    Haha. Just figured out something. The fact the mod "imports" SoD items into BG2 doesn't mean I have to buy/make sure I don't miss on them in SoD. Before, I had thought I needed to gather everything during SoD to be properly imported into BG2. ;)

Looking forward to finding all the items in BG2 when I get there (currently replying SoD).

That optional component was big on the wish list early on from the feedback I was getting. Even if you do grind through SoD to get the importable items you want, a lot of times they wouldn't import into BG2 from your save properly. So... problem solved, problem staying solved :)

Looking forward to your feedback on your BG2 playthrough with the mod.
    CaszidyStummvonBordwehrThacoBellJuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Is there any reason Martyr's Morningstar is not in the list of the items that you can find in SoA?
    Is there any reason Martyr's Morningstar is not in the list of the items that you can find in SoA?

No particular "reason" it's just not one of the items I decided to include in the mod.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited May 2020
    Just started my BG2 run. I'm trying to discover the mod items blindly and without spoilers, so it was very pleasant to
    find the Trollblood Ion Stone equipped on Nalia. What a choice! Seems fitting, story-wise, considering all the troll attack on her Keep.
    I want to share more fun! In the luckiest roll ever, Nalia petrified Dragomir with Chromatic Orb. Kudos to @Daeros_Trollkiller on marking the items as undestroyable. Now my F/T has his favourite katana from SoD back!

4p7ww4y03lje.png
    StummvonBordwehrLudwig_II
    @JuliusBorisov - very happy to hear you are enjoying the mod :) Makes me wish I could do a blind playthrough of it!
    JuliusBorisov
    edited May 2020
    I have to give even more credit to this mod. :)

Coming from SoD with 500k xp at the start, I feel more ambitious about different quests that usually are for later in my BG2 games. For example, instead of the usual Circus - Copper Coronet - Slavers route my first quests were the ones my party members wanted me to complete: the book for Korgan, the tomb for Clara, the keep for Nalia (note that all 3 npcs are in the main "hub" of early BG2). And I have to credit @Daeros_Trollkiller for providing me with:
    - a club +2
    - a katana +2
    - a spear +2
    in these areas (and thereabouts). You know, each of these categories of weapons needed a boost in BG2. Not something that is OP, just adding a medium weapon for these proficiencies that is available relatively early is very appreciated.

Compare it to finding, for example, the amazing axe +3, longbow +3 and ofc flail +3 all in the same keep. Those who use "underpowered" weapons like clubs, spears and -till Celestial Fury- usually envy the characters who use axes/flails at this stage of the game. But not with this mod.
    StummvonBordwehrLudwig_IIAaemforever
    @JuliusBorisov - I am happy to see your continued enjoyment of my mod. The feedback I am seeing from you is consistent with the goals I set out for when I created it.

You should be please to know that each of the items you mentioned gets better with upgrades as the game goes on.

JuliusBorisov
    edited May 2020
    It's Friday already and I want to praise the mod again for some good mood!

I have finally reached the stage where I felt more or less comfortable dealing with the Planar Prison. How glad I was when I found out Haer'Dalis comes with my most favourite belt from SoD! And how fitting it is, considering Haer'Dalis has Luck in his spellbook by default. Bravo!
    A bonus screenshot showing the death of the mighty Warden. Maybe it was Cloverleaf which saved my party from the Black Blade of Disaster and other SCS insane shenanigans!
    7y31jhs4scbs.png
    Timbo0o0o0StummvonBordwehr
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,054
    edited May 2020
    All of this praise has convinced me to download this mod on my next playthrough.
    JuliusBorisov
    I visited Cromwell and I'm so impressed. @Daeros_Trollkiller managed to preserve the original style in which Cromwell speaks and even included a nicely-done reference to Jegg, the blacksmith from SoD:

i51d7gb1ypr2.png

The number of recipes is quite high, the components are smart. I'm leaning towards waiting till Chapter 6 before actually using any of them, though.

There is a bug with usual SoD items not showing up in the game in my setup for some reason (I have to manually add them via the console).

This is what the WeiDU log says:

Force all import-able SoD items to be available in their normal locations -> All importable items with Voidsword +3: v1.0.1

Attaching a save for your investigation. I first noticed it with the Fist buckler missing from the black market thief.
    ThacoBell
    @JuliusBorisov - I did some checking into your issue with the buckler and I believe it's a problem with the script in-game that generates these items.

For the items that normally import from SoD - all my mod does is set the flag to run the script that generates them in-game when you first enter the area they are supposed to be in. I did this specifically to prevent duplicates.

What I found in my testing is that sometimes, if you are too fast in killing the NPC holding it after entering the area, for example, they wont have the item as the script didn't have enough time to complete and the item wouldn't be there. That, however was an extreme example, and you would have to be *very* fast (within a few seconds of entering the area fast).

I hadn't seen this issue on a merchant though. I will see if I can duplicate it.
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr
    edited May 2020
    @JuliusBorisov - I've tested several times on a clean install now, and have only been able to duplicate the issue once when I immediately warped out of chateau irenicus to the slums, then skipped through the chapter event as quickly as possible, then went to check the vendor.

All other attempts (I did a new game with new char, imported a char, imported a save) the buckler was right where it should be

Are all of the other normally-imported SoD items present? Or have they been missing as well?

Much as I hate to say it, it appears that you ran into the issue I did, where the script just didn't run, but I cant see a reason why. I haven't been able to determine a reason other than skipping events using the esc key, or moving through areas too quickly.

*edit*

I loaded up your save into EE Keeper and checked the global variables. The SoD global flag was there, but none of the items. So, it looks like the script, for a reason I cant determine with absolute certainty, didn't complete for you.

Post edited by Daeros_Trollkiller on
    JuliusBorisov
    Thanks! Maybe that issue is related to the occasional bug with normally-imported SoD items. All of them are missing in my setup, so I'm adding them manually.
    edited May 2020
    Friday Funday time.

There is this one ring in SoD related to the story of Strohm III. I always thought it was a fun BG2 Easter egg in SoD.

But thanks to this mod, the Easter egg is now complete.
    It felt so natural to find it on the Guardian after building that mask.

I tried one recipe so far. I never noticed the connection between Wyvern's Tail (the large spike at the head of this morningstar is actually the lethal stinger of a wyvern) and Gnasher (Makal of the Pine, a devious druid, carved this club and bonded it with the spirit of his wolverine companion). Both items have that animal component used when they were created! What a neat decision to combine them with one SoD item.
    And getting a +4 club as a result. How fresh it feels to get a new crushing +4 weapon for either a thief or a druid instead of Staff of Rhynn +4!
    CaszidyThacoBell
    @JuliusBorisov - I really appreciate your continued feedback on my mod. I put a lot of thought into how I did just about everything with it, and so far, your feedback has shown me that what I intended is coming through during gameplay.
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrThacoBell
  • MothorMothor Member Posts: 244
    Does this mod have some compatibility issues?

While trying to install the mod in my huge multimod installation I get this error:

ERROR: [tooltip.2da] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("Failed to Find enough lines to perform an INSERT_2DA_ROW") )
    Stopping installation because of error

Any idea what to do?

Mothor wrote: »

While trying to install the mod in my huge multimod installation I get this error:

ERROR: [tooltip.2da] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("Failed to Find enough lines to perform an INSERT_2DA_ROW") )

Any idea what to do?

Install my mod first.

Any idea what to do?

Install my mod first.

Oh, I see. :)

I though that kits, new items and tweaks should be installed last but I guess it was not a good idea. :(

Any idea what to do?

Install my mod first.

I though that kits, new items and tweaks should be installed last but I guess it was not a good idea. :(

Generally speaking, that is indeed the case. But some mods, such as EE trilogy require my mod to be installed prior.

Any idea what to do?

Install my mod first.

Generally speaking, that is indeed the case. But some mods, such as EE trilogy require my mod to be installed prior.

Got it. :smile:

Btw, any plans to add any further items from SoD into BG2? I noticed that (for example) The Suncatcher is not amongst the imported items.

Also what about writing some upgrades to items from BG2 like Blackrazor or Ring of Gaxx?
    @Mothor

No plans for importing additional SoD items at this time. I know everyone has their favorites, but if I included them all, along with upgrades, it would have taken me another 6 months, and the item saturation would just be too much, IMO.

As far as upgrades for non-SoD items, that's not the focus of this mod.

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Daeros_Trollkiller Hey, would you be willing to part with the secrets of what the upgraded Acid Tongue does?