Skip to content

I’m trying to plan the “perfect” solo, no reloads character from Candlekeep to the Throne.

Ok, here’s what I’ve got so far:

All options include the fighter (berserker) kit. The berserker protects you from so many nasty status effects in the game, all the way from the beginning.

Option 1: berserker dual thief. This character can handle all the traps in the game, and some are quite nasty. UAI opens up so many doors, like using Carsomyr or scrolls. Traps are amazing.

Option 2: berserker dual mage. Many wizards have soloed this game before, and this one has rage and weapons to fall back on, making an extremely well rounded character.

Option 3: berserker dual cleric. This one can walk through so many parts of the game without batting an eye. Draw upon holy might turns a dual flail wielding character into an absolute powerhouse that is resistant to damage too. Turn undead is amazing.

Option 4: dwarf berserker. I don’t know if this is the safest option or the best one. Heck, it might be both. I’d never have to worry about “dual downtime” (which does leave this character very vulnerable), and I’m much more free with weapon choices. A minor boost is free (but very slow) regeneration before I can off kangaxx. The general saving throw boosts are really appreciated with a short character.

Weapon choices:

I really teeter on this one. Do I want to use Carsomyr? Possibly. It’s a ToB tier weapon available sooner than I can actually use it (only the thief can). My issue is I like shields because I don’t want to be bothered with beholders.

Flails are always great.

Scimitar gives me the best BG1 weapon and has a +4 option that’s pretty easy to get. Belm is one of the best off hand weapons in the game.

Everybody flocks to katana, and celestial fury is one of the best weapons in the game. My issue is it’s very hard to acquire in a no reloads game. If you have advice on how to more safely get it I’m all ears. With a high enough CHA stat, it’s possible to get one in the prologue in BG1, but it’s not a slam dunk.

I’d like to use the improved Mace of Disruption. This plus rage are the only ways I know how to guarantee killing Kangaax without dying. I don’t even need to necessarily be proficient with it, I just need to get it. It really helps with all the undead in this game.

Eventually, I wouldn’t mind bastard sword proficiency. Foebane +5 is great because of the HP gain. I’ve thought about an endgame set up of Foebane +5 main hand with Defender of Easthaven in the off hand.

I’m really not sure where else to turn. What do you guys think?

Any and all advice/criticism is welcome.

BTW, I’m playing on iOS so aside from pumping up the game to hard difficulty, I’m playin got straight.

Comments

• AerieAerie Member Posts: 226
    Would highly recommend another party member as a Cleric/Mage. ;)
    MartinW
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Berserker is always a strong kit especially when combined with a class that can't cast spell immunity. However you do have to balance that against losing fighter HLAs as well as the inconvenience of either not being able to handle traps/locks or not being able to cast mage buffs/debuffs. Unless you add FMT to the mix which can do all of the above and would be my personal choice for a solo run. Totally agree with @ilduderino though, you'll be stuck with this character for a long time so you should pick whichever one will keep your interest throughout.
    kaja8
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I've been pondering the same thing myself on and off all morning! In many ways I concur with you:

Berserker is an obvious starting point because of all the immunities that Rage gives you.

I'm also a sword and shield style player (mainly I think because of my background in PnP where AC is everything at low levels).

Likewise I prefer bastard swords over long swords (2xd4 v 1xd8 respectively) so I'm looking at Foebane as my endgame weapon.

Human is the race choice for me because I want to really identify with this character and it opens up the option to dual class - but to which class?.

My thinking is Mage because: 'Knock' can open a lot of locks and elemental protection can save you from a lot of trap damage (esp. prot from fire in Durlag's) and, most importantly for me, Mages can use the Wand of Spell Striking.

The next question is which level to dual at? I haven't thought that one through yet......
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    i would say FMC or eventually FMT.
    as multi you don't have the dual problems that are not only the down time, but the level you dual as doing it early you will have a first class under leveled in end game, doing it late, at least lev 9 if not 13, you have to play a lot of the trilogy as single class then as under leveled second class.

a multi has not those problems, gets access to all the HLA and being a solo is over leveled trough all the game but the very beginning of bg. it will not get lev 9 arcane spells and HLA spells, but is perfectly capable without them.

the FMC can replicate all the berseker rage protections, as he has clerical spells to protect against mind effects and spell immunity and PFMW to protect him against imprisonment and level draining. he is also able to detect traps and bash doors or use the knock spell.
    being multi he does not have to stick to few weapons having plenty of proficiency points and being mage can use the staff of the magi that is as good as carsomyr to dispel on hit, looses only the MR, but having arcane and divine pools he has other ways then MR to counter spells and nasty effects.

the FMT looses some mind protection effects, but can hide (and just this gives a great tactical advantage), can stab and clear whole dungeons by stabbing if he knows the art of doing it effectively, can use traps, can steal, so to acquire every possible item from merchants early is not an issue as well as sell/steal wands to recharge them for free.

both can fight very well, if they lack of GM they continue to improve as fighters trough all the saga, reaching the best fighter Thac0 and then getting fighter's HLA, they can protect themselves really well both against fighters and casters, the FMC better, but the FMT well enough, they can cast, summon helpers, sometimes just to have some meat shield to gain some time or to suck spells, wing buffets and dragon breaths, and the FMT opens a lot of tactics and at 3Mxp can have UAI (carsomyr, scarlet ninja to and the rest).

imo both are perfect for a no reload solo, what they can offer seems to me much more then the rage and GM of a berseker.
    unless you choose to build a berseker->M that end game will be a super powerful mage, with lev 9 spells (improved alacrity, CC, spell strike, planetar) with some mlee capability.

by the way the triple class can use high level scrolls trough their clones quick slots, at least the not HLA ones, but is perfectly possible to wish for rest using the 3 scrolls you find in the game, having at least a couple of PI memorized and using the helm for a simulacrum you can cast wish 9 times being sure that in late soa and in tob you go to every battle with full spell memorization, you can even use wish to change your memorization completely to suit the next battle. a triple class will never be able to use RoV, AoP and improved alacrity to unleash half spell book and kill draconis before he can even react, but is not completely prevented from using lev 9 spells.
    MartinW
    an other very good combo for solo no reaload is gnome CM, shorty bonuses, mage kit and end game up to 3 lev 9 spells.
    it lacks of fighter class so much of the battles will be longer, but the cleric thac0 is not bad and what he lacks in dpm he gains in protection. from a certain point on he can use his cleric buffs to hit as hard as a figher, even if with less apr, 4 is the maximum value he can get.
    but end game a CM with FoA and a good OH flail, hammer or mace, full buff and with his simulacrum that uses MH a BBoD and OH FoA is something that is even more effective then a fighter with HLA, and he can add a planetar and some fire elementals to the combo, while the arcane spells make him and his clone immune to dispel and attacks.
    for him and also for the FMC the undeads are not an issue as they can get enough levels to turn them.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    It largely depends on just how systematically and carefully you play. If you've played the game a lot, the chances are that any given encounter will be easy - but stringing all those easy encounters together for a successful no-reload game is not easy ;).

One of the advantages of the berserker is that the amount of buffing required is small. While a high level mage or cleric can use spell protections to keep safe, that requires much more time and concentration to be successful in no-reload.

Personally I would not recommend any dual class character for a no-reload. Apart from the down-time you refer to, the lack of the shorty saving throw bonus makes a huge difference to how robust the character is. With that bonus, suitable equipment and rage, you can get immunity to virtually any effect in the game. Without it you are much more vulnerable - which goes back to how good you are at maintaining active defenses throughout the whole game.

Traps are not a problem if you know where they are, but if you're concerned about those you could try a fighter-thief multi rather than the berserker. However, from what you've said I suspect that a straight dwarf berserker might be the best match for you. As said above though, almost certainly the best character to do well with is the one you're most invested in and take good care of ...

Incidentally, as you're playing unmodded, the only protection you need against Kangaxx is to use a PfU scroll. That will prevent him attacking and you can then easily finish him off. The improved mace of disruption and Daystar will both polish him off in no time, or alternatively you can use the ring of energy to bypass his protections.
    gorgonzolaKloroxJuliusBorisov
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Grond0 wrote: »
    It largely depends on just how systematically and carefully you play. If you've played the game a lot, the chances are that any given encounter will be easy - but stringing all those easy encounters together for a successful no-reload game is not easy ;).

One of the advantages of the berserker is that the amount of buffing required is small. While a high level mage or cleric can use spell protections to keep safe, that requires much more time and concentration to be successful in no-reload.

Personally I would not recommend any dual class character for a no-reload. Apart from the down-time you refer to, the lack of the shorty saving throw bonus makes a huge difference to how robust the character is. With that bonus, suitable equipment and rage, you can get immunity to virtually any effect in the game. Without it you are much more vulnerable - which goes back to how good you are at maintaining active defenses throughout the whole game.

Traps are not a problem if you know where they are, but if you're concerned about those you could try a fighter-thief multi rather than the berserker. However, from what you've said I suspect that a straight dwarf berserker might be the best match for you. As said above though, almost certainly the best character to do well with is the one you're most invested in and take good care of ...

Incidentally, as you're playing unmodded, the only protection you need against Kangaxx is to use a PfU scroll. That will prevent him attacking and you can then easily finish him off. The improved mace of disruption and Daystar will both polish him off in no time, or alternatively you can use the ring of energy to bypass his protections.

I’m gonna go dwarf berserker, and my goal is to dual wield blackrazor and defender of Easthaven.

My thought process is this:

Rage protects me from just about every status effect there is. Defender of Easthaven reduces the damage I take. Blackrazor gives me back HP real fast.

I’ll switch to Flail of Ages when I need to, or a heavily enchanted longsword.

BG1 is easy as one of the best weapons is that longsword +2.
    Actually, blackrazor might not be the way to go. Ring of Gaxx is a given and the regeneration is higher.

Maybe I’ll go all flails and find a better main hand weapon. IDK. I’m at work rn.
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    in EE the regeneration stacks while in the original it did only at certain conditions, the more the better i would say. but the blackrazor regeneration is not at a fixed rate, it has a 15% chance to heal 20 hp every successful hit, that with good enough apr is more then the regeneration you get from the ring.
    further on blackrazor has some other very useful perks as it level drains the enemy but more important it rises the str of the user and (improved) haste him in the same way it applies regeneration.
    this means that used by a fighter you will have very soon him with 25 str and double apr, that makes even more likely that regeneration and level drain happen even more often.

i used often that weapon with haer dalis and from the moment the successful on hit effects trigger he was permanently improved hasted and with 25 str, as the effect would happen almost always again before it expires. by the way being improved hasted also the regeneration from the ring of gaxx is doubled, so blackrazor + gaxx are actually useful to regain hp while in combat, while gaxx alone is very useful to replenish health between the fights but almost not useful in the fights (for the regeneration part only) as in the short time a battle last there is not enough regeneration to make a noticeable difference. in some battles that you end alive but with very very low hp gaxx's regenration has saved your life, but usually it does not.

EDIT: gaxx regenrates 2hp/round so in a battle lasting 6 rounds it gives you back only 12 hp.
    in the same battle with gaxx + blackrazor you regenerate a little less then 24 hp from gaxx, it depends on how soon the improved haste triggers, + 20 * 0.15 * MH apr * 6 hp so if you have GM, lev 13 and the +0.5 apr gauntlets ( 3.5 MH apr) on average 63 hp form the blackrazor side.
    if 12 hp more means almost nothing 24+63=87hp or a little less regenerated in the same 6 rounds battle can make a lot of difference.

Thanks. I have a very old school way of thinking about the way regeneration works.

Good to hear you get the 1 every 3 seconds from the ring AND the 1 every 5 seconds from the sword.

I’ll go that route then. It’s a no brainer, and I can easily swap in a +5 where needed.
  • AewyrvenAewyrven Member Posts: 228
    If you're still considering....

Take a blackguard for a pure kit class. You don't have to play evil stupid, go neutral evil, this let's you be "good" when it benefits you.

It's an incredibly strong kit.

Poison weapon and the fact you can run heavy armor with its aura will see you through bg1 easily. You will want to take axes and hammers.

This gives you a ranged option in both bg1 and 2. Use and abuse your poison weapon and aura as well as your bhaal powers as you move through bg1.

Once you hit bg2 soa you really shine. Your inate immunity to fear and negative level show for massive amounts and you arnt relying on a zerkers rage for it.

As you progress, move Into a dual wield with axe hammer and flail, your stronghold gives you flail of the ages, a very powerful weapon right off the hop, and because you are axe proficient you can grab stonefire from the coronet once you have hendak kill Lehtonen which aids you in the trolls of de Arnie for the flail.

Grab the defender of east haven as your next weapon and dual wield that through soa until you are done alongside flail of ages.

While ur in soa build crom fayer. Many say dont, do it. This gives you a permanent 25 str in ur offhand and because you have toughness you no longer need defender of eashaven there. It's not just used for its permanent 25 str, it instantly kills trolls, stone golems and clay golems. Switch it out of offhand to your main hand when fighting them and watch shit explode.

Spells:

Level 1: Bless, armor of faith, sanctuary (sanctuary is t just a defense spell, it's used to wreck about 4 other quests and get more xp to level you with no fear in soa)
    Level 2: Draw upon holy might x3 this is to boost your str (more dmg) dex (more ac so stuff cant hit you) and more con (more hp and if its base 18 you gain passive regen on top of your gear)
    Level 3 spells do whatever, I just run tri animate dead cuz minions.
    Level 4: prot evil 10ft radius, death ward, free action. You can swap free action for lesser restoration if u have ppl who arnt neg lvl immune.

As you progress, you will have 3 stars in dual wield, 2 in axe 2 in hammer 2 in flail, now you go 2 star in 2 hand weapon and 2hd spec.

Walk into watchers keep and get your blackguard version of carosymer. People say it sucks, it doesnt. It's not your primary weapon. You also grab axe of the unyielding there.

You dual wield axe of u yielding or flail of ages as primary with crom as your offhand. When you hit a mage or a dragon you put irrevy on and dispel their shit, tap your hla and watch it explode.

Your last 2 can go anywhere, I reccomend halberd so you can use the +6 ravager in tob for assholes with absolute immunity on and laugh at them

Your hla selection is as follows:

Fallen deva x3
    Ww x1
    Gww x7
    Power attack x1
    Critical strike x3
    Hardiness x2

Your critical blow is used against the bosses with the blackguard dispelling sword. If you have a mage have em imp haste you and it's a joke, shit explodes.

Gww and ww are used vs minor bosses or trash mobs to just "get the fuck outta my way" while dual wielding crom and either foa, aou or rh.

Rh is runehammer you gain later in tob which is a 1 shot vs undead. (They have to save but because ur dual wielding u have a base 4apr and are going to pretty much wreck em) 8 apr if a mage imp hates u or u use gaxx ring inante imp haste 3x a day.

It's an easy run which is what ur looking for, harder runs can be given by others.
    gorgonzola
  • AewyrvenAewyrven Member Posts: 228
    edited May 2020
    If you want to use the fighter kit, use a berserker so you can negate the negate level drain of undead.

Thief is nice because it gives you the trap and lock xp and gold from loo and depending how far u take it everything avail to use or a mini assassin.

Mage dual is very powerful because you can choose to go zero melee better than a swash/mage and just plow through or stand back and cast

Cleric dual is going to push you into melee, but its buffs are insane if done correctly, you become unkillable so long as they are running, once they fall off tho u splat.

The cleric and mage dual classes will require a lot of pre buffs and micromanagement but are very strong, the zerk thief is more an "I dont want to run over traps or bash locks cuz xp" and then much later on some trap and uai.

Just dont fall into the trap without thinking where kids go ZOMG I HAS UAI MY THIEF CAN USE FULL PLATE AND CAROSYMER!

Doesnt mean ur thief's gonna win shit.
    gorgonzola
    edited May 2020
    Aewyrven wrote: »
    While ur in soa build crom fayer. Many say dont, do it.

Your critical blow is used against the bosses with the blackguard dispelling sword. If you have a mage have em imp haste you and it's a joke, shit explodes.
    the OP i s talking of a solo no reload.
    the suggestion to don't build crom is for full parties as you have to chose if to have a single toon with 25 str or 3 items that boost str, but as solo to build crom is always worth it, as you any way get a belt better then the ones you loose to build crom in the elves city and an even better one in tob, there is no gain for a solo to don't build crom.
    also solo means no mages if you are not yourself a mage.

this does not mean that i think that what you told is not sensible, only that you probably missed that it is a solo run. ;)

by the way talking of improved haste, as it is a solo, some of the reasons why i still think that FMT, FMC, CM and FM multi are interesting options, , are that spell and simulacrum. the clone can be obtained also trough the helm, but only once each rest, while a multi can cast it some more times from the spellbook.
    and there is no way for a solo not mage (or bard) to use improved haste and double his apr, a fighter or blackguard has only the GWW he can use, and each GWW last only a single round, FMT, FMC and FM have the GWW, but can also boost their apr hasting themselves for a much longer time with the spell.

even if what @Grond0 tells is true, in a no reload is easy to screw your protection routine and a single time it can mean to start again from candlekeep, while with rage, shorty ST and the pure class hp pool is easier to don't make a fatal error.

also PI is a good reason, even if for a solo no reload can be risky as it freezes charname, but the PI can summon helpers, for the FM even a planetar, for the triple classes skeletal warriors or mordy swords as needed, can use the wizard eye or farsight to see the enemies even if the multi is far and safe and can GM, breach, lower resistance and soften the enemies, maybe also making the mages waste some of their most useful spells agaisnt it. the PI can use a double SI abjuration and divination and some PFMW to last enough to do his task.

it really boils on the player play style, i probably would prefer to summon helpers, use clones and have spells and sequencers to protect myself and damage/breach the enemies then to have rage and gm, or the blackguard abilities, but all the ways are viable as long as the player knows well what he will face in every single battle as there are different possible ways to counter it.
    Post edited by gorgonzola on
    Aewyrven wrote: »
    If you want to use the fighter kit, use a berserker so you can negate the negate level drain of undead.

Thief is nice because it gives you the trap and lock xp and gold from loo and depending how far u take it everything avail to use or a mini assassin.

Mage dual is very powerful because you can choose to go zero melee better than a swash/mage and just plow through or stand back and cast

Cleric dual is going to push you into melee, but its buffs are insane if done correctly, you become unkillable so long as they are running, once they fall off tho u splat.

The cleric and mage dual classes will require a lot of pre buffs and micromanagement but are very strong, the zerk thief is more an "I dont want to run over traps or bash locks cuz xp" and then much later on some trap and uai.

Just dont fall into the trap without thinking where kids go ZOMG I HAS UAI MY THIEF CAN USE FULL PLATE AND CAROSYMER!

Doesnt mean ur thief's gonna win shit.

What’s wrong with Carsomyr on a berserker/thief?
    if you have GM and maybe lev 13 it is a good weapon, MR and dispel on hit, other way you simply lack of apr compared to DW.
    and imo for a berseker->T that wants to use a 2H weapon staff is better as you can equip the SoTM to dispel, but ryn-S of striking-ram is a very useful set of weapons for soa, ryn is a +4 that you get early, striking is good for stabs and ram is simply more damaging then carsomyr, and staffs can stab.
    the ability of ram to kick away the enemy, that can be annoying in a party is actually very useful for a solo as he can throw away an enemy if is fighting multiple ones or take some opportunity hits ranged if he is facing a single enemy.

50% MR is useful but for a no reload is not enough to count on it too much as 50% of the spells will bypass it, a little less as you can get some more MR from gaxx and maybe other items, but still you are not completely protected.

anyway DW gives more dpm then ram and be GM in a single hand weapon let you equip a shield when needed, further on if you have crom in the OH, so every hit benefits of that +7 thac0, so needed for a dual, and +14 dmg.
    edited May 2020
    if you have GM and maybe lev 13 it is a good weapon, MR and dispel on hit, other way you simply lack of apr compared to DW.
    and imo for a berseker->T that wants to use a 2H weapon staff is better as you can equip the SoTM to dispel, but ryn-S of striking-ram is a very useful set of weapons for soa, ryn is a +4 that you get early, striking is good for stabs and ram is simply more damaging then carsomyr, and staffs can stab.
    the ability of ram to kick away the enemy, that can be annoying in a party is actually very useful for a solo as he can throw away an enemy if is fighting multiple ones or take some opportunity hits ranged if he is facing a single enemy.

50% MR is useful but for a no reload is not enough to count on it too much as 50% of the spells will bypass it, a little less as you can get some more MR from gaxx and maybe other items, but still you are not completely protected.

anyway DW gives more dpm then ram and be GM in a single hand weapon let you equip a shield when needed, further on if you have crom in the OH, so every hit benefits of that +7 thac0, so needed for a dual, and +14 dmg.

I was considering going berserker 13 > thief and eventually getting GM in both sword and staff. Staff first since we have time (UAI) before we can use the sword anyway.

It’s tough in a no reloads run though.

Edit: I am under the impression Carsomyr *sets* MR to 50%, so it doesn’t matter if you equip the Ring of Gaxx or not. Am I wrong?
    Klorox wrote: »

I was considering going berserker 13 > thief and eventually getting GM in both sword and staff. Staff first since we have time (UAI) before we can use the sword anyway.

It’s tough in a no reloads run though.

Edit: I am under the impression Carsomyr *sets* MR to 50%, so it doesn’t matter if you equip the Ring of Gaxx or not. Am I wrong?

Sort of. When you equip Carsomyr it will set MR to 50%, but you can then re-equip other things to add to that. That behavior is a pain if you are regularly switching between weapons, but you can just decide to leave MR lower unless you have a particular reason to boost it ...
    gorgonzola
    edited May 2020
    Ok, I think I’ve figured it out; I think I have the perfect solo character (for me).

Lawful Good dwarf barbarian.

Level 1 (minimums):
    18/51+

Scimitar ++ (Sorry Drizzt)
    TWF ++

Buy composite long bow (keeps enemies far when I don’t have a lot of HP yet), splint mail (end game armor), helmet, 20 crossbow bolts, wakizashi and a ninja-to.

The only other things I will buy are that +1 CON shield (I’ll sell it after getting the CON tome), necklace of fireballs (and sell/rebuy), some potions and protection scrolls.

End BG1 level 8:

20 (regeneration yay!)
    Doesn’t matter (+3)

Scimitar ++
    TWF +++
    Flail +

BG2:

First proficiency goes to being specialized in flails as you head towards running your own keep. Then get yourself an extra attack a round with Belm.

Buy the Defender of Easthaven at first chance.

So, why Lawful Good? So I can grab the Purifier. Purifier will give me the option to pump up Magic Resistance when I need to. I’ll make sure I grab and upgrade the Human Flesh armor and turn to evil in hell. Bracers of AC 3 gives me a better AC than splint anyway.

BTW, I can’t remember the bonuses I can get in BG2 and ToB, other than choosing what gets a -1 in Spellhold (peace out WIS!).

Edit: why barbarian? The most likely way you’re going to die is taking damage. The barbarian reduces damage and has the most HP. Their rage protects from most status effects (the next most likely way to die), and this thread has made me realize there are other ways to protect against imprisonment than the berserker rage. Why dwarf? They have the highest CON and shorty saves.

Post edited by Klorox on
    gorgonzola
    TWF ++

Buy composite long bow (keeps enemies far when I don’t have a lot of HP yet), splint mail (end game armor), helmet, 20 crossbow bolts, wakizashi and a ninja-to.

You're going to use Drizzt's sword, but not his armor (which gives a better basic AC than splint, albeit you can't use rings of protection with it)?

In BG2 you can also do better than splint for AC, e.g. the Shadow Dragon Armor.

I like barbarians myself, but just in case you're not aware, there are some substantial downsides to the barbarian rage to balance the upside (that there's no cooldown period). Apart from the shorter duration and the shorter list of things it protects against, it's easy to miss that barbarian rage makes AC 2 worse, while berserker rage makes it 2 better. Along with the much poorer armor available, that has a huge impact on your ability to tank while enraged.
    gorgonzolaKlorox
    Grond0 wrote: »
    TWF ++

You're going to use Drizzt's sword, but not his armor (which gives a better basic AC than splint, albeit you can't use rings of protection with it)?

In BG2 you can also do better than splint for AC, e.g. the Shadow Dragon Armor.

I like barbarians myself, but just in case you're not aware, there are some substantial downsides to the barbarian rage to balance the upside (that there's no cooldown period). Apart from the shorter duration and the shorter list of things it protects against, it's easy to miss that barbarian rage makes AC 2 worse, while berserker rage makes it 2 better. Along with the much poorer armor available, that has a huge impact on your ability to tank while enraged.

I know they’re a lot easier to hit than berserkers, for all the reasons you’ve mentioned (armor, rage), but they’re not easy to hit in BG1, and by the end of BG2, you’re getting hit no matter what your AC is (at least that’s my experience).

I want to use a ring of protection is why I won’t use Drizzt’s armor.

Any advice there?
  • iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    This is going to be an awesome run, I’m sure that if you posted updates here you would get lots of interest :-)

Since you’re doing “no reloads” it might be worth thinking about the instant death conditions.
    Imprisonment with no save is a particular bastard, hold, paralysis, confusion and fear are all a major threat for solo chars too. Oh and having your brain sucked out...
    I think you have most of those covered with the Barbarian kit, just imprisonment and brain eating to watch out for.

And since we are shamelessly min-maxing; be aware that only a paladin can use purifier. Mazzy gently weeps every night at the bitter injustice...
    gorgonzola
    And since we are shamelessly min-maxing; be aware that only a paladin can use purifier. Mazzy gently weeps every night at the bitter injustice...
    I thought anybody could use the purifier, you just needed to be LG to get it.

Hmm, that does change some late game tactics.

Nothing worth worrying about. I’m currently getting ready to tackle the Nashkell mines.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    You need to be LG to get it, but not everyone who gets it can use it.
    Klorox