Skip to content

Did you discover baldur's gate with EE versions or without EE? (Poll)

Comments

• PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited May 2020
    1. We had the 5-disc set at first when I was little. Then later we got some three disc set, then eventually (like the year before BG:EE released) I got the double DVD/CD pack with both BG1 and 2 and the expansions. We never actually had BG2 until I got that double pack.
    2. Why didn't you use the forum poll option?
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    I'm a younger player (18), so I found Baldur's Gate through the Enhanced Editions.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Non-EE here. My dad got the game when it came out, I was around 8, and I watched him play. Nothing like a 5-disc set and switching disks for what seemed like every major map transition.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @zur312 welcome back to the forum! Just so that you know - you can create polls here as well, using the forum software.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    A split decision - I knew about the game and saw it (BG2) way back in 2000 or so, but didn't actually play it until I got the EEs.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    original game for me, and i still use it often as i like to play some mods that are not supported in EE and i don't like some of the changes done in EE that imho are in most cases not real bug fixing, fixing bugs that made impossible to play to those not willing to exploit them, but policing what the players can or can not do in their own gaming.
    i also don't like how EE changes the interaction between the bard song and the end of round, it makes almost impossible to have a bard sing and attack in the same round, and as i find the (original game) bard one of the classes i have more fun to play i really prefer to use the original game when i plan to use bards.

i also use EE for the half of the new content i can use ( the other half is too much on the dark side of the force for my taste) and for the better ui and compatibility with new mods.

but having to chose only a version i would probably stick to the original, with the sola mod, the full tactics mod compatibility, the fight vs breudaiael and his party and the beautiful exploits it allows, one of the reasons why i like to play bg games is the research in exploits and not usual tactics, even if often then i repeat the battle in a "fair way" as i don't want to depend on exploits, only have fun in using them.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    Original game, not even TotSC, I bought it a bit after it came out, randomly out of a bargain bin at something like a Bestbuy post Christmas in 2000, not even shopping for games at the time. Didn't actually install and launch a game until New Year's eve, but I remember being so hooked that night that I lost track of time and missed the midnight festivities.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    I discovered Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment, and Neverwinter Nights over ten years ago when I was a kid on one of those old platforms where you paid for access to multiple games. Forgot what it was called exactly. Fueled my interest in DnD and I started buying source books.
  • RedRodentRedRodent Member Posts: 78
    Grew up with the originals, they basically taught me English (alongside other classics such as the Might & Magic games). Never realized the connection to DnD until much later, even though I made sure to replay at least once a year throughout my teenage years. I have probably owned six or seven physical copies of BG2, and when the EE's were teased, I knew I'd spend even more money on the franchise.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Original generation here. :) I don't remember where I first heard of Baldur's Gate (maybe in Dragon Magazine? Or in a computer gaming magazine? Or just on the grapevine on the internet? 1998 was when the internet still felt a bit like the Wild West. XD), but regardless I knew the moment I heard of it that I HAD to have it. It was my first experience with Bioware as a company too, and I continued to follow them through KotOR and Jade Empire and Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Many years later, I was on GoG when I happened to spot a sale for the EEs. The title and screenshots brought back a wave of nostalgia, so I decided to grab them, and that purchase eventually led me here. :)
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    Year 2000 while shopping at a Best Buy in Phoenix, I noticed a D&D computer game in a discount bin, Baldurs Gate and also TOTSC. Having grown up playing AD&D, the attraction was immediate and I grabbed it as I was about to move abroad in a few months and wanted something new for entertainment. I still remember popping in the first disc. I still have all of the original discs and boxes.

I rotated through all the series and later IWD many times before moving on to NWN in about 2004. I came back to BG in 2011 and tremendously appreciate the EEs.
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,062
    edited May 2020
    My mother got Baldur's Gate 2 for herself, along with Icewind Dale 2. Eventually I gave both sometime after. her attempts, though I never finished Icewind Dale 2.
    I never played BG1 until the EE's, and I still haven't played or purchased Icewind Dale 1.